Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Plague Mod: Initial bugtest release is here!  (Read 1648 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
The Plague Mod: Initial bugtest release is here!
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:12:27 pm »

Hello fellow modders,

One of the new projects I am working on is a disease simulation mod, modeled off of actual diseases in real life, along with a few I made up myself.  I am looking for people who would find such a mod interesting/be willing to test it.  If there is any interest, I will write up a more traditional introduction, but right now I'm just checking for interest.

And yes, Meph, I do know that Masterwork has a disease element to it, that is part of what inspired me to make this mod.

Current unreleased version: 0.10.1

Current Features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Planned features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current version link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8647
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:51:12 am by 4maskwolf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Disease model mod [POSSIBLE TESTERS WANTED]
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:43:22 am »

If you go for this, please do it better then me or Halfling did. Use syndrometrigger and announcement.lua to make the diseases reports ingame as an announcements, not a combat log. This will help so much, because the combat log spam is one of the biggest issues with diseases.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:58:58 am »

are you aware that mephs is based on halflings disease mod (id recommend dling it)

what i think meph also wanted was aoe syndromes to heal sick dwarfs aka ward.

i for one think the diseases work fine but i think there needs to be a ward and a way for scripts to use disease recuperation.  i dont think a whole new sysyem is in order since the diseases do function as diseases... but they could use some obvious improvements

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:19 am »

The main problem is simply that DF has no architecture for diseases. The hospitals wont recognize them, and the only way to tell players is scripts, or using the interaction/combat log. This mixes things up a lot and makes it hard to manage.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:14:53 am »

yes. hospitals wont recognize them until there symtpoms get bad enough but its not like a dr can treat them. dt can now see them. an aoe near the hospital that maybe a cmd enabled could make a hospital "fix diseases" and mark unfixable as to be killed. maybe am assisted suicide...

maybe if the script enabled a dfhack flag to seek the hospital when sick... like a "i need to rest" flag

i think the drink system is kind of silly. especially when you cant tll dwarfs "you need one of these too". the only way i could think of fixing it easily is to make all drinks act as medicine...

theres got to be a better easily manageable way to innoculate dwarfs
i
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:21:55 am by thistleknot »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:02 am »

Most of the diseases aren't immediately lethal, my idea was to have the dwarf in question run a reaction at the sick ward where they gave themself a syndrome that was helpful, IE: use antibiotics.

Drinks as the means of distribution was never the idea.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 11:15:33 am »

well if there sick to the point of not moving. workshops wont work. however when resting in a hospital (do they drink alcohol or only water) someone will run them drinks...  i like workshops as a means but immovable dwarfs cant get there. so thered have to be both a pharmacy and a sick ward. the ward would have an area of effect.

sick/noninnoculated dwarfs would have to have some labor enabled so theyd run to the pharmacy

...but... this is ur baby. i thought of all these things when i tried to revamp diseases the 1st time.

im sure whatever you come up w and bring to the table meph will sift thru amd pick what he likes.  i think the diseases in there symptom form currently work well. the only real issue i think is innoculation targeting
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:27:52 am by thistleknot »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:29 am »

well if there sick to the point of not moving. workshops wont work. however when resting in a hospital (do they drink alcohol or only water) someone will run them drinks...  i like workshops as a means but immovable dwarfs cant get there. so thered have to be both a pharmacy and a sick ward. the ward would have an area of effect.

sick/noninnoculated dwarfs would have to have some labor enabled so theyd run to the pharmacy

...but... this is ur baby. i thought of all these things when i tried to revamp diseases the 1st time.

im sure whatever you come up w and bring to the table meph will sift thru amd pick what he likes.  i think the diseases in there symptom form currently work well. the only real issue i think is innoculation targeting

That's why I'm having many diseases have multiple stages, both to model real life (where diseases don't start at full severity) and to allow dwarves ill with even the most lethal illnesses to reach the sick ward in time.  If all else fails, you can quarantine them.  If Meph is okay with it, I may use a building similar to his prison as a quarantine center.

Also, the viral diseases can be vaccinated against at the pharmacy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:34:28 am by 4maskwolf »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 06:25:58 pm »

And I finally get back to this project.

The first release of the mod will be sometime this week, complete with how-to guides of creating your own diseases.  The first release will have only three diseases, but will rapidly acquire more as time goes by.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: The Plague Mod: First Release Coming Soon!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:55 pm »

Neat :)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Plague Mod: First Release Coming Soon!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:21 am »

All syntax bugs have been squashed, the first, very basic release is now up!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Plague Mod: Initial bugtest release is here!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »

Welp, there was one more syntax bug, it has been squished.  Haven't posted the new raws yet, but it shouldn't be long now, just need to implement the pus of those infected with the plague allowing the plague to spread.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: The Plague Mod: Initial bugtest release is here!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:05:30 am »

Ptw
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.