Homosexual
- 16 (4.7%)
Asexual
- 37 (10.8%)
I'm 12 and what is this?
- 9 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 338

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50

Author Topic: Sexuality poll: It's all just spores anyway.  (Read 69657 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexuality: The pollening.
« Reply #480 on: January 17, 2014, 03:49:49 am »

People think all sorts of conflicting things. As long as it's just in the head it doesn't matter, though. I mean, what is the purpose of all these various labels, but simplifying things for outside observers so they can get a sense of what's someone like. From that perspective any thoughts not acted upon may as well not exist. Labels for internal use are kinda pointless because they're less accurate than the overall impression one has about himself.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 17, 2014, 03:55:10 am »

If I eat meat purely for health reasons rather than for the taste I'm still not a vegetarian.
I'm going to use that argument to troll some people I know later.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 17, 2014, 04:00:21 am »

People think all sorts of conflicting things. As long as it's just in the head it doesn't matter, though. I mean, what is the purpose of all these various labels, but simplifying things for outside observers so they can get a sense of what's someone like. From that perspective any thoughts not acted upon may as well not exist. Labels for internal use are kinda pointless because they're less accurate than the overall impression one has about himself.
Your argument assumes that the reasons why people do things don't matter. Intent makes all the difference, though, especially in how an outside observer reacts. Knowing someone's intent in an action usually merits a different response to that action.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01:56 am »

If you don't act on a thought it doesn't ever come up as a reason why you do something, innit?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 17, 2014, 04:10:51 am »

Yes it does. If a person has sex without feeling an attraction just to please their partner (especially if they say so), of course it comes up as a reason.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 17, 2014, 04:49:31 am »

If that person has sex then he or she ain't acting upon the inner asexuality. As far as the partner is concerned, it walks like a duck.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 17, 2014, 04:55:21 am »

I would like to take this moment, gentlemen, to alert you to the appropriate literature, and what is generally accepted for what the term means.

Here's wakypedia's take on the argument.

Here's the asexuality awareness people's take on it.

In light of these two sources, the purely pedantic approach is not the generally accepted approach.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:17 am »

For one thing, definitions and labels, at least in sexuality, are personal. Some people use them to make it easier for others to understand, others don't. I'm kind of in the middle, "homosexual" is pretty much what I am, but I've slept with women (lost my virginity to one), and I don't just like a good looking guy. But I still consider myself gay, and would rather people treat me as a gay guy. For example, not go "When are you going to get married to a nice girl and raise a kid?"

In that vein, someone can call themselves asexual as much because that's how they feel as I do for homosexual. Maybe they have sex with someone once in a while, but they don't "enjoy" it for anything but the literal stimulation, a la the masturbation angle, they'd be just as happy with a robot as with another person and the circumstances came up this way. Maybe they DO enjoy it for the other person, but on a purely "Hey, this guy's a nice dude, I wanna make him feel good," rather than "Man he's hot, let's get down to business." So an altrustic angle on sex rather than the normal motivations.

It doesn't -really- matter what their actions are. What matters is what they prefer to label themselves. If they call themselves asexual, treat them that way. Don't ask them when the last time they got laid, don't try and hook them up with someone, don't go "Hey, he's hot, right?" Like I said, maybe they have had sex or maybe it's an occasional thing, but nearly everyone does things occasionally that go against one of their chosen labels. That one moment doesn't nullify every OTHER moment where they go WITH one of their chosen labels.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:33 am »

Asexual masturbation would be probable for an individual with both balanced masculine/feminine energies and root/sacral chakra blockage. There would be no particular "attraction" to male or female as their energies would be in balance. The north end of a magnet attracts the south end and vice versa. If their sexual north is in balance with their sexual south, they would feel little to no magnetic attraction to others. However, due to the blockage, these matched energies could nevertheless build up pressure that might benefit from manual release.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 17, 2014, 10:33:54 am »

masculine/feminine energies and root/sacral chakra blockage.
Sorry, I chuckled at this.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:13 am »

The north end of a magnet attracts the south end and vice versa. If their sexual north is in balance with their sexual south, they would feel little to no magnetic attraction to others.
Are you serious about this, or is it okay to make jokes about that Nigerian who disproved homosexuality?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:58 am »

Asexual masturbation would be probable for an individual with both balanced masculine/feminine energies and root/sacral chakra blockage. There would be no particular "attraction" to male or female as their energies would be in balance. The north end of a magnet attracts the south end and vice versa. If their sexual north is in balance with their sexual south, they would feel little to no magnetic attraction to others. However, due to the blockage, these matched energies could nevertheless build up pressure that might benefit from manual release.

...wow.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 17, 2014, 11:12:47 am »

That's kinda the reaction I had--

But, if your personal philosophy is based on new-age mysticism... I guess it's as good an explanation as any other...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 17, 2014, 11:15:29 am »

Mmmm.... not really :P

Science can explain a lot of these things, and that's a hell of a lot better explanation than mysticism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:05 am »

I agree, but people DO have a right to their beliefs, and the agnostic in me strongly asserts that I should not demonize.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 50