Homosexual
- 16 (4.7%)
Asexual
- 37 (10.8%)
I'm 12 and what is this?
- 9 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 338

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50

Author Topic: Sexuality poll: It's all just spores anyway.  (Read 69548 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Sexuality: The pollening.
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »

There's more than one way to have sex, and it doesn't always have to involve penetration.

Sure, but if one finds the idea of homosexual sex disgusting, as this person apparently did...kind of have to wonder at the thought processes of someone proudly declaring a sexual identity that they found disgusting.

A lot of immature people think its quirky, how old was this teenager? Like 13-14 or 17-19? If its the former he may have not  known what it meant, dumb kids like to claim to be apart of groups things that they don't really know about but "they saw this one cool guy on TV so I'm going to be like him".
I'm someone who claims to like men yet doesn't actually know if he'd like anal penetration on either end. (wow we're getting surprisingly explicit here)

The rest sounds good though.

The thing is that you know some bi/gay men do that. The kid in question apparently didn't.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2014, 07:28:24 pm »

I'm in favour of letting people claim to be whatever sexuality they want to be, given how for most people it's something you learn over time. There's no use in trying to prove that somebody is 'not bi because X', Bucket  :-\
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »

I'm all for being who you want to be, but you can't really call yourself a duck if you don't know what a duck is or what duck sometimes even does.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »

I think (I don't know!) that you might not have been there to talk to the person in question, so it's useless to condemn his choice of sexuality when you only have a very simple account of what he's said. For example, maybe he meant that emotionally he was bisexual, but he isn't physically attracted to either gender?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »

It was a teenager. Maybe he isnt particularly experienced and hasnt thloough about it much - maybe he finds dudes attractive and likes to think about kissing him but just plain hasnt thought about the sort of thing you are talking about. As you mentioned, he was clearly ignorant, which speaks more to his general experience than to anything in particular about whether or the not the assessment of his own sexuality is accurate - I know girls who are into dudes, totally into them, but who find the concept of anything to do with buttsex and blowjobs disgusting. But no one would accuse them of not being into dudes!

Id say if a guy enjoys romancing another dude, kissing them, admiring their bodies etc that is more than enough to qualify.

Of course its not exactly a rare occurence for a kid to not be 100 percent on their sexuality until college or so. Maybe he was just trying to convey that he was open to the idea that it could turn out either way?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2014, 07:52:45 pm »

how old was this teenager? Like 13-14 or 17-19?

I'm guessing he was probably 16 or 17.

maybe he meant that emotionally he was bisexual, but he isn't physically attracted to either gender?

What do you mean by "emotionally bisexual?"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sexual

1. Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
  2. Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.

If one is claiming to be bi-SEX-ual, I think it's reasonable for a listener to expect that sex or desire for sex somehow be involved. You wouldn't call someone bisexual for admiring or hugging someone of the same gender.

Id say if a guy enjoys romancing another dude, kissing them, admiring their bodies etc that is more than enough to qualify.

Maybe, but my impression was more that he was claiming to be bisexual because it was "cool" kind of like the highschool crowd that dresses in black and tells everyone they're vampires.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »

The second one.  Case closed.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2014, 08:00:24 pm »

Your impression doesn't matter. It's important to respect other people's sexualities.
I've played some mafia.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2014, 08:06:33 pm »

Well, here's one thing to consider. A lot of people haven't learned to differentiate sexual and romantic attraction. If you don't know what biromanticism is, you can't label yourself as biromantic. You can think "yeah, I'm attracted to both genders" without specifying the type of attraction - sexuality is, as far as many people are aware, general attraction like that.

Your impression doesn't matter. It's important to respect other people's sexualities.
The point is that the person might not have actually been expressing their sexuality. It's not a lack of respect, it's a question of accuracy.

EDIT: See, saying you're a member of a group just to make yourself more popular is quite disrespectful, to people who find part of their identity as a member of that group.
If someone in the conversation were to talk to this person in question, they wouldn't start insulting them or anything. They'd educate them on what bisexuality is so the individual could help improve their self-understanding and personal identity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:12:10 pm by Lectorog »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2014, 08:13:01 pm »

What somebody's sexuality is is entirely up to them to discover and express. You have no way of knowing, and casually dismissing them as just doing something to be 'hip' is incredibly rude and disrespectful to that person.
I've played some mafia.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »

The second one.  Case closed.

You say that as if eroticism doesn't relate to sex.

Well, here's one thing to consider. A lot of people haven't learned to differentiate sexual and romantic attraction. If you don't know what biromanticism is, you can't label yourself as biromantic. You can think "yeah, I'm attracted to both genders" without specifying the type of attraction - sexuality is, as far as many people are aware, general attraction like that.

...ok...but that there would be confusion over this is a bit surprising to me. For example, I might enjoy affectionate nuzzling from a cat, but I don't see anyone equating that with bestiality. If I hug my sister nobody accuses me of incest. These might be emotionally significant, intimate events, but they're not sexual at all.

But then, I suppose plenty of heterosexuals confuse sex with love so maybe it shouldn't come as any surprise if bi and homosexuals do too.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:11 pm »

I'd like to add that a person's sexuality doesn't indicate that they are open to all possible sex acts that are associated with it.  Meeting someone online doesn't grant you the authority to determine that person's sexuality.

We aren't supposed to be discussing sex acts on this forum.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »

My sexuality is annoyingly hard to pinpoint. I think I'm bicurious at least, but I'd be too nervous to experiment (I live in rural Ireland and it's hard enough asking girls out) and besides, it would be incredibly awkward if it turned out I'm heterosexual during a homosexual relationship? Hopefully when I get out of my teenage phase things will be a lot more settled. How can you tell when you have more hormones running through you then horses at a racetrack? Thankfully, my family is very liberal and would probably accept me either way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:33:37 pm by Fniff »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »

What somebody's sexuality is is entirely up to them to discover and express. You have no way of knowing, and casually dismissing them as just doing something to be 'hip' is incredibly rude and disrespectful to that person.
That is not what's happening. There has only been speculation as to what the individual's reason was for presenting himself as bisexual, with that being only one of the possibilities.

As I said, we would like to help them discover and express their sexuality. We don't know, but have good reason to suspect, that they are not actually bisexual. If we didn't care about people discovering and expressing their sexualities, we wouldn't care what he said.

"Want" meaning "would like" - that guy is obviously not a direct part of this conversation. The conversation would be much neater were he.

...ok...but that there would be confusion over this is a bit surprising to me. For example, I might enjoy affectionate nuzzling from a cat, but I don't see anyone equating that with bestiality. If I hug my sister nobody accuses me of incest. These might be emotionally significant, intimate events, but they're not sexual at all.
You're given leeway when things are as taboo as incest and bestiality are. There's a certain assumption that there won't be anything sexual happening from those. Whereas romantic relationships are supposed to lead to sex (from what I've gathered in my years). If romance and sex are supposed to go together, why not romantic and sexual attraction?

We aren't supposed to be discussing sex acts on this forum.
That's hella grey. The rules technically say "Do not discuss sexually oriented material." Sexual attraction is sexually oriented material already.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:50 pm »

I'm gonna have to step in here and ask that people not discuss the actual acts in question. This is primarily about who you are attracted to. What you do in bed with them is your own business, and this is not the place to discuss it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50