Homosexual
- 16 (4.7%)
Asexual
- 37 (10.8%)
I'm 12 and what is this?
- 9 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 338

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: Sexuality poll: It's all just spores anyway.  (Read 69639 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Sexuality: The pollening.
« Reply #495 on: January 17, 2014, 11:43:41 am »

I agree, but people DO have a right to their beliefs, and the agnostic in me strongly asserts that I should not demonize.
People have a right to their beliefs, but we all have the right to call those beliefs stupid, too. That's part of the package of freedom.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:17 am »

I believe you have the right to make fun of others' beliefs as long as you let them make fun of yours. But I'd prefer not to do it in a way that offends people.

Also, it's interesting that someone's spiritual beliefs create more of a reaction on this forum than people's sexual orientation.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:08 am »

I'm fairly sure Bucket was just making a joke, guys.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 17, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »

If you have sex you're not asexual. In general, what people think is mostly irrelevant, because people don't know what exactly they think most of the time, what really matters is what they do.

I agree with this. A homosexual man who has sex with women is still a homosexual, but you can also say "he has sex with women". Imo orientation isn't based on whatever you do for reasons. Are prostitutes orientations defined by their work? etc etc.

Sexual orientation describes the way a person THINKS and FEELS, not what they do. What they do is influenced by their inclination. In this case what they think is the only thing that is relevant.

^ this

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 17, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »

I'm fairly sure Bucket was just making a joke, guys.
You might want to read more of his posts, then, because I almost guarantee he is not. LB brings his New Age pseudo-Buddhism into just about any thread he can.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:16 pm »

And there's nothing wrong with that...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 17, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »

And there's nothing wrong with that...

Are you talking about him having (and talking about) those beliefs or about the beliefs themselves(?)?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:48 pm »

What's the difference?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:20 pm »

What's the difference?

Whom are you judging.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »

I never figured out LB - sometimes I think he's trolling, but he's definitely a productive and respected forumite...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 17, 2014, 02:45:48 pm »

I don't think he's joking or trolling. You could "translate" that statement into psychologicial / physiological terms and it would still make sense.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »

I don't think he's joking or trolling. You could "translate" that statement into psychologicial / physiological terms and it would still make sense.

Well, obviously, because that 'translation' would be pretty much making it into something that makes sense.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 17, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »

Well, obviously, because that 'translation' would be pretty much making it into something that makes sense.

So what's the difference, then? If it works for someone, it works for him. Yes the terms may not make scientific sense, but our brains don't run primarily on logic and language. As long as the symbolism is right, people can gain great benefit from spiritual mumbo jumbo. A true understanding Christian is likely to lead a better, happier life, not because God is real, but because his beliefs tend to have him focus on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:39 pm »

Ignorance happening to have a (accidental) positive side-effect does not mean ignorance is a good thing.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »

Tylui: I agree with your view of religion in general, but that reasoning is not valid when applied to a field where verification is necessary. Your argument can be applied 1:1 to defend homeopathy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50