Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should DFHack have its own Child Board?

Yes!  Absolutely!
No, the one mega-thread is fine.
No, get out of here and go use Github instead.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Proposal: Give DFHack its own Child Board / Folder  (Read 4752 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal: Give DFHack its own Child Board / Folder
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »

I agree. At some point when the board structure was discussed, I suggested one myself. The thread about custom scripts was just that: Someone said that custom scripts go missing, and my response was to that statement: Custom scripts can be collected easily in one thread.

If dfhack had its own board, people could work on more independant projects, write how-to, suggestions, manual, official dfhack, branches, all kinds of stuff. I would mostly say its good because it gives it more prominence and more people will take up coding for it. I have seen quite an increase lately, with Boltgun, Roses, IndigoFenix, all starting on their own scripts.

Exactly.

Right now, vote shows 59% for a child board.
Not a landslide, but enough to justify asking the forum gods if they'll do it.
Who do we ask?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 07:30:06 pm »

Maybe you should ask the people who actually made DFHack and such if they want their own sub board before getting their thread moved. I think the current scripts collection thread works just perfectly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:31:20 pm »

59% is nice, but its just 16 people. I would say ask Peterix, he just made a big post about dfhack and github http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91166.msg4951315#msg4951315
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:06 pm »

Good to see Peterix back in action.
This may inspire me to resume support of my long neglected terraforming plugin for DFHack.

PM'ed him.
Anyone who cares, vote now, i'll close it after Peterix gives his verdict.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »

I'm definitely all for this.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »

Would this be a subforum of "DF Modding" or a subforum of "Utilities and 3rd Party Applications" (assuming that SMF allows you to nest forums that deep)? And if it turns out to be the latter, should Masterwork DF become a subforum of "Mod Releases"?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 02:11:10 pm »

Would this be a subforum of "DF Modding" or a subforum of "Utilities and 3rd Party Applications" (assuming that SMF allows you to nest forums that deep)? And if it turns out to be the latter, should Masterwork DF become a subforum of "Mod Releases"?

Yeah, SMF allows nests that deep; Einsteinian Roulette is a subforum of Roll to Dodge is a subforum of Forum Games and Roleplaying.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »

should Masterwork DF become a subforum of "Mod Releases"?
Only if the sub-subforum for MasterworkDF in  the Mod Releases subforum can have sub-sub-subforums of its own, for Community Forts, Suggestions, General Discussion and Bug Reports. :P

Obligatory we have to go deeper comment. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:10 am »

Obligatory we have to go deeper comment. ;)

You have found "Bay 12 Games Forum > Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding > Mod Releases > Masterwork DF > Community Forts > Digging Deeper > Adamantine > HFS > Eerie Pits"
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 04:35:10 pm »

Definitely support. Don't use DFHack too much, but when I do, I find it near impossible to dig through everything else to find the right DFHack thread/post. Having it all in one place would be really nice, especially for people who probably use it much more than I do.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 01:25:08 pm »

I definitely support a DFHack subforum. It has become a thing so big that it has become an entity distinct of the rest, with several dedicated people working on it. The rest of the Utilities forum could be dedicated to all the other tools such as PerfectWorld or World Viewer.

And of course, it'll help finding custom scripts.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 03:27:53 am »

Doing some necromancy as I am in favor of this.
Keeping track of when a new version comes out seems to be most easily doable by watching the megathread. This has the downside of being alerted to any small question that anyone ever has about dfhack.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »

Keeping track of when a new version comes out seems to be most easily doable by watching the megathread. This has the downside of being alerted to any small question that anyone ever has about dfhack.

Yeah, sorry about my little questions waking you up in the middle of the night :)

I would also like to see a subforum for DFHack.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 03:54:00 pm »

Yeah, sorry about my little questions waking you up in the middle of the night :)
:P
It's just a little bit tedious to have to look every day despite there being a new release only every few weeks.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »

Necroing this thread to show my support. Right now a third of the threads on any page in the utilities subforum is about dfhack, I feel it would clean up things a lot if these were moved to a separate place. And of course there's the issue of these enormous dfhack threads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3