Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109000 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #225 on: January 16, 2015, 09:03:49 am »

Green Sun Hokage: Exalted/Naruto. It's a fusion, thankfully. This isn't too much of a spoiler, given how quickly it's figured out in the thread: the thing Naruto has sealed in his gut is the Ebon Dragon. Or at least one of its sub-souls. The first real pact they strike ends with Naruto killing himself. He gets better. High quality, a great deal of the focus is on the characterizations and the back-and-forth between the two. There's also a decent amount of attention paid to the differences caused by the fusion. Quite funny at times.
THIS IS THE GREATEST FIC OF ALL TIME.

You know... I am fine with somewhat of a tonal shift so long as it keeps some of the original feelings.

But this sounds like the typical complete tonal shift where people are gonna die gruesomely.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2015, 09:07:47 am »

Might as well throw a suggestion here: Vigil. Fusion fic of X-COM, Mass Effect, Fear and a whole lot else. Pretty damn good too.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 16, 2015, 09:10:12 am »

Might as well throw a suggestion here: Vigil. Fusion fic of X-COM, Mass Effect, Fear and a whole lot else. Pretty damn good too.

I will admit that X-Com and Mass Effect really could fit together well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:52 am »

I will admit that X-Com and Mass Effect really could fit together well.

Yet rarely do, because they tend to end up with X-COM defeating everything from the start and stomping all over the aliens.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »

Green Sun Hokage: Exalted/Naruto. It's a fusion, thankfully. This isn't too much of a spoiler, given how quickly it's figured out in the thread: the thing Naruto has sealed in his gut is the Ebon Dragon. Or at least one of its sub-souls. The first real pact they strike ends with Naruto killing himself. He gets better. High quality, a great deal of the focus is on the characterizations and the back-and-forth between the two. There's also a decent amount of attention paid to the differences caused by the fusion. Quite funny at times.
THIS IS THE GREATEST FIC OF ALL TIME.

You know... I am fine with somewhat of a tonal shift so long as it keeps some of the original feelings.

But this sounds like the typical complete tonal shift where people are gonna die gruesomely.

Give it a shot. It is a tone shift, of course (because bland shonen action is one of the dullest things in the world), but it's in the direction of a nice mix of character introspection, dark humor, and the way the two central characters play off of each other. The interactions are really delightfully subtle, and the author has done some genuinely original things. The most recent chapter has two excellent points in particular, one of which was Naruto turning Haku's gender freakout against him by convincingly pretending to have been a girl disguised as a boy, and the other was one of the best uses of dramatic irony I've seen in a long while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:27 pm »

because bland shonen action is one of the dullest things in the world

Not really quoting this because I disagree with you... Because yeah bland shonen is the most boring thing in the world... I already watched more Saint Seiya and the Lost Canvas to know the epitome of how boring they can get (even if it had its moments)

What Naruto wants to be is rather appealing. There is something about a large community or family pulling through because of your tight connections that works. As well as the strong world building.

Naruto's tone isn't boring... it is just that the creator sort of falls into main character, and pet character, worship and sort of sinks his own product over time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2015, 03:51:03 pm »

It's one of those premises that could have been interesting... with a competent author. But the "ninjas" are wizards who spend a good deal of time casting Fist, women are utterly devalued (oh hello there again Shonen themes), and the entire plot quickly becomes oriented around the "Omahgerd my glowy Sue-eyes are da best! Nuh-uh, mine is!" shtick, and every potentially interesting character is ignored in favor of the stereotypical idiot whose redeeming factor is supposedly the ability to make quick decisions, which is apparently both better than and incompatible with critical thinking skills and good planning, and the other stereotypical idiot who lives by the apparent Japanese standard of "arrogant pissant  brooding backstabbing little shit = omg so dreamy". It even pulled out one of the worst plots from badfics and made the Kyuubi a misunderstood decent guy who was as much a victim as anyone else.

I reiterate: Fucking dull.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:39 am »

Kishi was a pretty terrible writer with a fairly interesting premise, yes. This is one of the reasons why we have fanfiction :P

In other news, TGWP. Since I seriously CBA to register on spacebattles, I'll say it here:
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2015, 12:39:21 am »

I hope the fanfic writer actually knows what the Ebon Dragon is...

And doesn't equate it to a giant powerful shadow dragon or something...

Because the Ebon Dragon's concept is that it is "everything you aren't" and contradicts the Solars for example by basically having the opposite of their virtues. It is cowardly, it is heartless, it is whimsical, and it is indulgent... yet finds a way to make that work.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2015, 12:46:14 am »

The green sun one? For all its faults, critter's rolling pretty well with the exalted aspect of it and handling the probably!ebon dragon quite effectively. No worries on that front.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2015, 01:23:34 am »

The green sun one? For all its faults, critter's rolling pretty well with the exalted aspect of it and handling the probably!ebon dragon quite effectively. No worries on that front.

No Ebon Dragon is the shadow dragon, but he is more then just a big shadow dragon.

The Green Sun is a lot like a warped version of the Solars. I wouldn't be surprised if Sol Invictus was built based on him.

But my point is that the greater demons are more... conceptual... more... philosophical.

I am wondering if the Fanfiction author could just switch Ebon Dragon with just some really evil shadow dragon... or if it really goes all the way.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2015, 01:25:15 am »

... "green sun one" was referring to the fanfic's title, which I don't like actually typing because it kinda' sounds like arse to me. I'm actually fairly aware of the difference between the ebon dragon and malfeas :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2015, 01:27:59 am »

... "green sun one" was referring to the fanfic's title, which I don't like actually typing because it kinda' sounds like arse to me. I'm actually fairly aware of the difference between the ebon dragon and malfeas :P

Green Sun, Ebon Dragon, and Malfeas are... three different things xD

Though yeah my mistake.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:07 am »

More like 2.1 different things... sorta'. Green Sun's Malfeas's fetich soul, and like all demons is an expression of the Yozi itself, personified. It's pretty hindu, kinda' the Shiva to Malfeas's Brahman, but the extent to which Ligier is actually something beyond and separate from malfeas is... arguable. ED and M are definitely separate beings, but M and the Green Sun kinda' aren't. They kinda' are, too, if probably less "are" than "aren't", but... anyway.

S'kinda' like how we're not actually sure with the fic in question if it is the ED, or just one of its sub-souls (well, at least insofar as the fic itself goes... not sure if word of god has stated something yet). Though even if it's the latter you've still got grade-A SHADOWTHIRST on in Naru's brain, so it doesn't matter all that much. Almost certainly beyond one of the lower circle demons, but...
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:42 am »

IIRC the author was one of the ones discussing the more esoteric aspects of the ED's nature in the thread. But seriously, it'd be faster and easier for you to read through it yourself, Neonivek.

But yeah, 'green sun one' because the rather ill-advised title included 'green sun' -- which I'm willing to let fly, since it's a good marker for Exalted crosses that aren't of the Glorious Solar BullshitTM variety, especially when trying to cater to readers who might not know or care all that much about Exalted lore. And of course it's not actually confirmed in story that it's the Ebon Dragon or part of the bugger, but there's damned little else it could be, given that pretty much the first charm he semi-tricks Naruto into performing is a literal-and-symbolic suicide, destroying the entirety of his personality and sense of self, tricking Creation into believing he doesn't exist, and then being forced to reassemble a replica of his self to wear like a mask... so that he can disguise the outward appearance of his anima.

Alternatively, take this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21