Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109001 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2014, 12:26:43 am »

So how would you make them Paragon?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:08 am »

My basic idea is as such: Humanity goes Paragon and loses most of its Renegades (not that there aren't still evil humans, but we're talking about mainstream culture here, nor should Renegades be conflated with evil) due to isolation. The other two Paragon fics went with the more structured route: if Neutral Humanity encountered and fought the Turians and Renegade Humanity encountered and was nearly exterminated by the Batarians, Paragon Humanity should logically encounter and be at peace with the Asari. My problem with this is twofold: it doesn't provide much reason for Human culture to go Paragon and lose its Renegade side, and it makes a strange kind of alignment-mapping of the other species that doesn't fit. The Asari have e-democracy and are peaceful, sure, but just running into them doesn't mean that Humanity is going to end up like that, and there are plenty of bad things about the Asari too: Illium essentially has legalized slavery and is an Asari world in all but name, and a culture with that long-lived of members is going to pick up some serious conservatism.

So, my thought is that the same Unseen Fate that lead Renegade Humanity to meet the Hegemony will inspire a Prothean craft to attempt a suicide jump into the Earthward side of Relay 314 for Reaper-killing glory. It doesn't work out (Relays are made of tough stuff, the Alpha Relay was so pumped full of energy by comparison that just about anything would have set it off), and Relay 314 is badly damaged but not destroyed in full. As a consequence, Humanity is contained behind it for a century or so, unable to expand further into the Relay Network and without reason or technology to make the long journey. In time, enough is learned about the Relay to return it to functionality, and by then Humanity has flourished into a grand and advanced multi-stellar civilization that had no reason whatsoever to avoid developing technology that would thoroughly violate the Citadel Conventions. Things get somewhat awkward when the human ship's AI tries to contact the Turian ship's assumed AI and gets some very upset aliens in response.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2014, 12:57:44 am »

I just had a small idea; how about a fic where the Quarians were all Renegades from the beginning? So instead of the peaceful people of the Migrant Fleet, they'd become bloodthirsty pirates. That idea seems really fucking good.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2014, 06:12:58 am »

Might as well go full balls out in that case and replace the Quarians with Skaven or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2014, 10:52:48 am »

@Gamerlord
I'm actually a small time fanfiction writer myself. Do you think you could read a little of this and give me some feedback?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9919015/1/Book-One-Voiceless

If you're inclined please leave it in a review or two, this thread was made for recommendations after all.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2014, 05:50:15 am »

Can do. Problem is I have no fanfiction.net account.

EDIT:
*finishes chapter*

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2014, 06:14:30 am »

@Gamerlord
I'm actually a small time fanfiction writer myself. Do you think you could read a little of this and give me some feedback?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9919015/1/Book-One-Voiceless

If you're inclined please leave it in a review or two, this thread was made for recommendations after all.

I'm almost thinking this is a clever troll.
Also, yes, this thread was made for recommendations. It was not made for advertisement. I'm pretty sure we're looking for the 10% cream of the crop on top of the sewage of Sturgeon's Law. Regardless if your fic fits that 10% or not, you shouldn't be fishing for extra viewers and reviews for your own fic (unless of course you're just trolling us).

Then again, the exact parameters of what should and shouldn't be allowed in the thread is up to the OP, Gamerlord, so I could just be completely wrong. It might be a better idea to start a fic thread for the writers to discuss their works and for the Bay12 community to read/critique/support Bay12 fic authors.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 10:09:15 am »

Active works by members would want to shift over to creative projects, yes. That's what the subforum is for, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 01:15:21 pm »

EDIT:
*finishes chapter*

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Uh... can you explain your reaction please?

Edit:
Never mind, just reread the thing and it came off a little... rapey.

First chapter has been altered and updated to correct that. Sorry about that.

As to recommendations:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6756329/1/Motivation

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6076235/1/Unplanned-Paternity
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:51:58 pm by Beast Tamer »
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 12:17:38 am »

Yeah it definitely came across as rapey.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 09:09:14 am »

At the very least could you tell me if the fix has taken care of that issue? I'm a little eager for feedback.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2014, 09:28:12 am »

It's a little heavy handed and could be more subtle but it works.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2014, 10:15:17 am »

Would you read the rest? (this is a question, not request)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:15 am »

I've got 3 fanfics open right now but when I finish those probably.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »

Something I happened across that might be of interest: Making Magick: ZnT/Magicka. Yes, that Magicka. Louise's summoning spell is tangled up with another one, and she ends up reverse-summoned to Alderheim University, Midgard. It appears to update infrequently, and there are only ~47k words up, but it's delicious.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21