Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 108995 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 05:01:01 am »

More ZnT crossovers, you say? WHY YES MY GOOD SIRS!

Unfamiliar: ZnT/Prototype. Hosted on SB.

The Left ARM of God: ZnT/NGE. L summons Zeruel. Hasn't updated since mid-2012, though.

The Blade of the Void: ZnT/Megaman X. L summons... Zero. Yes, that Zero. 570k words of what should really be crack but managed to keep a straight face. Even when Rock's consciousness is stuck in one of Roll's spare bodies.

Summoning the Sun: ZnT/Okami. L summons guess our favorite goddess.

A Summon Goes Wrong (Mahou Gakusei Louise): ZnT/Negima. L tries to summon Evangeline, gets reverse-summoned.

Unforseen Consequences: ZnT/Madoka. L summons Kyubey. You wanted magic, Louise? Here ya go...

You want other stuff? I GOT OTHER STUFF!

Fate: Nightmare Apatheia: Fate/Stay Night/Code Geass. A blendfic rather than a crossover; this Holy Grail War is going down in Area 11. Read if you want to see Saber duel Knightmare frames. Read if you want the craziest good mix you'll find for miles.

Aeon Entelechy Evangelion: A NGE AU fic set on an Earth heavily inspired by/related to the Lovecraftian mythos, IIRC. It's been a while since I read it. Another EarthScorpion fic.

Fate/Zero Requiem: Fate/Stay Night/Code Geass (technically, Fate/Zero) crossover of a different sort. Lelouch died. And then he was Assassin. I just vastly undervalued it.

Forcibly United: Black Lagoon/Ranma 1/2. It shouldn't work. IT SHOULD NOT WORK.

Hakumei: Naruto AU in which Danzo killed the Third before the series started. Downside: some stereotypical elements (mostly the author acting like it's a novel thing to model a police state vaguely after Nazi Germany). Upside: Tons and tons of WAFF and diabetes-bait as a bunch of younger-than-series-start-date characters work together to survive and get revenge.

Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon: Sailor Moon AU. Quickly becomes NSFW. We know that Usagi/Sailor Moon is irresponsible and selfish. What if she was irresponsible and selfish in a way that involved immense levels of property damage, abuse of power, and casual flings with friends and people she vaguely knows rather than crying fits? It's glorious crack all the way down.

Shirou Emiya: Erogame Protagonist: Fate/Stay Night/Multi. Exactly what it says on the tin: Shirou Emiya stuck into various erogames of dubious-at-best quality in the place of the ordinary protagonists for the purposes of merciless humor and, perversely, giving them something resembling a real plot. No knowledge of any of the series involved. If you can't figure out that this is NSFW there might be something wrong with you.

It's a gabriel blessing fic (yes, that gabriel blessing, as in Hill of Swords gabriel blessing) if that helps. Here's his summary:
Yeah, you read that right. Yeah, you wish you had thought of it first. Yeah, this is a pretty unhelpful summary.

Takamachi Nanoha of 2814: MGLN/Everything. You think I'm joking. Nanoha winds up with the Green Lantern ring, the crack starts, and Shadow Crystal Mage never looks back. What do you think would happen if you gave someone like Nanoha the power to shape reality with her imagination?

The Finale of the Ultimate Meta Mega Crossover: A Fire Upon the Deep/Who knows how many things. This is the Alpha and Omega of metafics. Read it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »

Awesome! Do you guys have any other Naruto/HP fics? I'd like to avoid the... darker fics if possible.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »

Renegade The Global Defense Intiative replaces the systems Alliance.  Who needs railguns when you have Ion Cannons?   Mass Effect/C&C.  Really, anything by this guy is good.   
And the Meek Shall Inherit the Galaxy The quarians make first contact with humanity. Mass Effect
Transcendent Humanity Humanity doesn't discover the mass relay for thousands of years, and forms a Dyson Sphere, along with turning many of their own into AIs.  Mass Effect
Terran Ingenuity Raynor is on shanxi when the turians make first contact.    Starcraft/Mass Effect 
Ascension Humanity doesn't discover the prothean ruins on mars until much later, and comes out into a galaxy after it is cleared out by the Reapers.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:47 pm »

Ooooh, liking And the Meek Shall Inherit the Galaxy quite a bit... Also following a fic about asari making first contact which is pretty good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 10:59:00 am »

I also recall a fic in which the Quarians make first contact... with Nazi Germany. Apparently it's surprisingly good.

e: Speaking of A Green Sun Illuminates the Void: I just read the latest chapter HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT. Things are about to get real.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:56:09 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:09 am »

I also recall a fic in which the Quarians make first contact... with Nazi Germany. Apparently it's surprisingly good.

e: Speaking of A Green Sun Illuminates the Void: I just read the latest chapter HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT. Things are about to get real.

Things have been real since like chapter one, are you kidding me?

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, one of AGSItV's chapters is actually an epic poem. As in a really long poem. No rhyme scheme, but lots of assonance and alliteration and it has lyrical qualities to it. Blew my mind that someone could pull that off. I wrote off EarthScorpion when I first learned of him/her by some of the NGE:Nobody Dies side-fanfiction as being under the likes of Greg Landsmann and Charles Bhepin in talent, but given how serious and convincing and just amazing ES writes, s/he's one of my favorite authors now, although I only really care about two fics by ES, Overlady and AGSItV (although I've read the several FoZ spin-offs, they are more like lengthy one-shots).
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 04:00:02 am »

This is out the OP requests but it is very well written and recolves around the alien/scifi themes as well

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/3631062/1/XSGCOM-Mirror-Image

It is a xcom-stargate crossower and it is as awesome as it sounds

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:27 am »

Things have been real since like chapter one, are you kidding me?

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, one of AGSItV's chapters is actually an epic poem. As in a really long poem. No rhyme scheme, but lots of assonance and alliteration and it has lyrical qualities to it. Blew my mind that someone could pull that off. I wrote off EarthScorpion when I first learned of him/her by some of the NGE:Nobody Dies side-fanfiction as being under the likes of Greg Landsmann and Charles Bhepin in talent, but given how serious and convincing and just amazing ES writes, s/he's one of my favorite authors now, although I only really care about two fics by ES, Overlady and AGSItV (although I've read the several FoZ spin-offs, they are more like lengthy one-shots).

You don't understand. Things were real before, but now they're real.

What really made me realize how good ES was is realizing that s/he wrote both AGSItV and Overlady. The styles are so different and yet both are executed excellently.

3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 10:03:56 am »

I don't think No Gods, Only Guns has been mentioned yet. Excellent read so far. Mass Effect/Borderlands that is somewhat unique in that it's not merely "character X from universa A goes to universe B", instead merging the two.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »

Posting about some fics I've already read that I didn't comment on when others rec'd, and also about some that I've read for the first time due to this thread.

The Tale of the Gallant Familiar. It's a Naruto/ZnT crossover which starts in the predictable fashion for all ZnT crossovers, but with Jiraya as the summons, right after he had his arm cut off and was thrown into the sea. Only one 10k word chapter up so far, but it looks like the quality is pretty decent.
This could use a little bit of revision/proofreading, but yeah, it seems promising.

Puella Stellae Madoka Magica: It's what would happen if the Madoka world was a lost world stuck in a Warp storm, Kyubey was a daemon, and Empie's spirit managed to make his way there in pursuit of a certain unborn goddess. Things escalate from there. One of the best crossovers for both 40K and PMMM I've ever read. God-tier.
I'm personally hesitant to call this fic god-tier. When I think god-tier, I think of Prince of the Dark Kingdom, Dauntless and The Green Sun Illuminates the Void. He Who Fights Monsters and NGE: Genocide;Extended (I really need to re-read that) fall somewhere around there. This is definitely a good fic, though. I was put off early-on because I didn't realize at the time that the author uses distinct writing styles for either setting, and I wasn't a fan of the super minimalism for the PMMM scenes. Once I got to the point where everything meshes together, though, I came to appreciate it.

Cast in Gold: NGE/Exalted crossover.
Cast in Gold is kind of complicated. Shinji gets the exaltation, and it kind of makes sense, but it throws the dynamics (inter-personal, inter-entity regarding the various organizations and governments) all over the place. I do like Cast in Gold, but I'm not sure where it's headed anymore considering the last handful of chapters.

He Who Fights Monsters: An absolutely brutal For Want of a Nail fic in the Rosario + Vampire world. Read if you want a story about an ordinary human struggling to survive in a place full of literal monsters that would literally eat him if they knew he was human, full of intense fights that run on pure luck and adrenaline, meaningful character development, quite a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, and an absolutely brilliant ending. I can't recommend this enough. In fact, I think I'm about due for another reread...
Yes. All of this. Even if you have no idea what Rosario + Vampire is, find out the basic premise and read this fic. If you're familiar you'll be able to appreciate everything that happens more, but it's not really necessary. Also, it's NSFW for multiple reasons, but it's an incredibly good fic. Hawker is also a great author, but his work is strewn all over the internet, especially on non-mainstream fandom-only sites.

The Hill of Swords. Fate/stay night. It is the freaking Hill of Swords. It is excellent. It should be read. You should read it. I don't care who "you" is directed to. Read.
Bumping this. This is the only fic I've read more than like 3 times (I sometimes re-read NGE fics that I read ages ago), and I think I've read it a total of 5 or 6 times.
It's just... so good. Gabriel Blessing really needs to go back and proofread everything. It's pretty unpolished in that sense. It should also be noted that it is kind of a love or hate fic, but I just absolutely love it. Gabriel Blessing's other work is pretty damn good, but THoS is something special.
Oh, also? This fic is the reason why I read all of the Familiar of Zero manga as well as read all of Fate/stay Night. This fic was recommended to me by a friend, promising excellence if only I were knowledgeable of the setting, and I wasn't disappointed. Since then I've read three other series in order to read GB's other fanfics. I've only ever done that for one other author.

I don't think No Gods, Only Guns has been mentioned yet. Excellent read so far. Mass Effect/Borderlands that is somewhat unique in that it's not merely "character X from universa A goes to universe B", instead merging the two.
Read all that there is of this so far. It's pretty darned good. I get a definite Glorious Shotgun Princess vibe from it, but it's much more fitting in this considering it's a crossover that involves Borderlands. The meshing of the worlds isn't fully fleshed out yet, but the cross-integration of the characters from both settings is really well-done. This fic has a ridiculously large main cast, which is fitting for both settings.

Edit: BAH! Forgot to mention Kyon: Big Damn Hero. From the site:
Kyon -- Big Damn Hero

A Tvtropes website/Haruhi crossover. Kyon with a beam saber. Haruhi aware of her powers. An unsubtle harem plot. Did I mention the Higurashi crossover? Now say it with a straight face - I dare you.
The first arc? "In Media Res Prologue"
The first chapter? "Exactly What It Says On The Tin"
It's not really crack, though. There's some very serious plot that goes on, but the self-aware nature and lampshading of tropes makes it even more enjoyable. You'll be able to really appreciate this with only a basic understanding of the Haruhi setting, although I think there's a tad bit of spoilers if you haven't watched the anime.

Double Edit:
Oh, and my entry for the mega-ridiculous-crossover fic?
Unequally Rational and Emotional
It started out pretty interesting with a very real premise in the Mahou Sensei Negima setting. Somewhere along the way, author took some crack that had shot up some crack that had been condensed and concentrated in a vat of crack and then vomited all over the story. I can't even begin to care how many anime/manga/etc. series this has crossed over, but it should be noted that at least DC comics is also in there, probably Marvel too. Also, it has crossed over with other mega-ridiculous-crossover fanfiction, some of them with the consent of the author and then the other fics have chapters that include stuff that happens in UR&E. I had to stop reading this because nothing in my life made sense anymore.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:28:35 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 08:03:18 pm »

Small post for something I happened across in the past few days: Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them. HP fic in which the Dursleys abandon Harry in a park in Kent when they attend a company picnic and he's late getting back to the car. He lives in the woods for some time, eventually concluding from what he knows about his magic that he is an elf. Not a house elf, you understand, a forest elf. This fic follows his development as he wanders around Britain. There's a sequel up, picking up at around the point where Snape and Dumbledore finally locate Harry.

It's hard to describe. Rather surreal, and a very interesting examination of Harry's changed character. There are a few bits that could perhaps be smoother, but in all it's one of the more unique fics I've read, for this fandom or any other. The humor is top-notch, too, and very slick. It's not over-the-top parody or gag jokes, either, so much as little moments that make you smile to yourself.

Puella Stellae Madoka Magica: It's what would happen if the Madoka world was a lost world stuck in a Warp storm, Kyubey was a daemon, and Empie's spirit managed to make his way there in pursuit of a certain unborn goddess. Things escalate from there. One of the best crossovers for both 40K and PMMM I've ever read. God-tier.
I'm personally hesitant to call this fic god-tier. When I think god-tier, I think of Prince of the Dark Kingdom, Dauntless and The Green Sun Illuminates the Void. He Who Fights Monsters and NGE: Genocide;Extended (I really need to re-read that) fall somewhere around there. This is definitely a good fic, though. I was put off early-on because I didn't realize at the time that the author uses distinct writing styles for either setting, and I wasn't a fan of the super minimalism for the PMMM scenes. Once I got to the point where everything meshes together, though, I came to appreciate it.

Ah, sorry. I'll clarify a bit: I called it god-tier in reference to the concept behind it and the way in which it was executed, rather than purely based on the literary quality of the author's input. I've read better-written fics, and I've read fics with more plausible premises--AUs, FWoaNs, straight crossovers, and blend crossovers like this--but this can stand with the best in my internal ranking because it made me sit up and think to myself, "This? This is fucking awesome, and not in the watered-down bastardized sense of the word." I'd agree that it's somewhat shaky early on (though I can't exactly recall why; it's been a while since I last reread it), though I disagree with your interpretation of the style of the PMMM bits. I thought that that actually fit the show rather well insofar as that it's less about all the little details so much as the impression of the whole; a painting of a building rather than an architectural blueprint--in a sense it also echoed the "ordinary life" bits of the show, as that while it exists, it's mostly just a hazy backdrop over which the drama unfolds.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »

One I forgot earlier: Unbent, Unbroken, Unconquered is a "playthough" fic of Renegade Reinterpretations. Extensive xeno-hatred, death, and general grimdark. Hell, it even has Saren as Shepard's SPECTRE assignment instead of Nihlus.

By the way, for those of you who liked Renegade Reinterpretations so much you wanted a Paragon counterpart, there is good news, bad news, and strange news.  The good news is that there are two different attempts at Paragon Reinterpretations. The bad news is that both of them have been dead for several months. The strange news is that I myself have actually considered writing Paragon Reinterpretations (Though I'd call it Paragon Parallels to preserve the alliteration) several times in the past, and I even wrote up a small outline for my basic idea because of this thread. What do you all think? Should I write Paragon Parallels?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 12:09:39 am »

Do it mate. It can only end well!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 12:12:43 am »

Yes!
Wait, isn't that regular ME humanity?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 12:19:37 am »

Of course not. You've got Renegades aplenty in standard ME, as well as measured antipathy for the Council races and bad blood over Relay 314. Humans aren't the big scary evil aliens like in Renegade Reinterpretations, but neither are they fully accepted. There's plenty of fear over what Humanity might do if pushed to the limit (as we see in RR, this fear is far from irrational), as well as jealousy from the associate races. The Council remains static for a thousand years, then these motherfuckers come along, violate the Citadel Conventions on several points, fight the Turians, upend the galactic economy, and get a Council seat while there are people with living memory of their First Contact (possibly intentionally killing the Council in the process)? Yeah, I might be somewhat upset too if I were a Volus or Hanar.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21