Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 108997 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

Harry Potter fanfiction is a "solved game," like checkers or sudoku. It's been computationally completed.

The result: Thirty Hs

It's filed under Angst/Romance as Bellatrix L. / Seamus F., but this doesn't quite do it justice.
Ah, yes, the best HP fic ever published.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2014, 01:27:52 am »

Harry Potter fanfiction is a "solved game," like checkers or sudoku. It's been computationally completed.

The result: Thirty Hs

It's filed under Angst/Romance as Bellatrix L. / Seamus F., but this doesn't quite do it justice.
Ah, yes, the best HP fic ever published.
It's the most amazing thing ever.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:15 pm »

Personally I think it could have been better if the Groinsaws were Armpitsaws instead.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »

Aaaaaannnddd current on The Empty Cage. Well then. I'm glad I just went ahead with that.

The Empty Cage is good. Damned good. There's a lot of divergences from canon, but they allow for a very interesting situation and story with believable characters and actions and consequences, and a lot of the divergences are based on the author's belief that some of the canon events didn't make any sense at all or were just plain (in the eyes of the author) poorly crafted by Kishimoto. The author is also really intelligent and is a very competent writer. Even more, the author doesn't like the canon for a lot of the same reasons I don't either, so that adds to my bias in my approval.

Although the story hasn't updated in some time, it's on its last arc, so there's that. I'd recommend it as a very good fic.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2014, 07:36:37 pm »

Destiny is a Hazy Thing: I finally remembered the name of this. It took me a while, since I haven't read it in a year or more. 556k words long, and a very different approach to the story. Very much an AU, and a quite nice one, with the additional merit of playing the Kyuubi as female and sympathetic without falling into any of the normal turn-off traps. Includes a certain being that technically makes it a crossover, though it can be somewhat difficult to tell. Does take a negative view of Minato, though, so that you might have to bite your tongue for the first few chapters.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2014, 07:43:15 am »

Destiny is a Hazy Thing: I finally remembered the name of this. It took me a while, since I haven't read it in a year or more. 556k words long, and a very different approach to the story. Very much an AU, and a quite nice one, with the additional merit of playing the Kyuubi as female and sympathetic without falling into any of the normal turn-off traps. Includes a certain being that technically makes it a crossover, though it can be somewhat difficult to tell. Does take a negative view of Minato, though, so that you might have to bite your tongue for the first few chapters.
Read through some of it, but it was too... long winded for me. I found myself skipping sections to get to the more important parts and then missing important information buried in the chaff.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2014, 02:03:41 pm »

Read through some of it, but it was too... long winded for me. I found myself skipping sections to get to the more important parts and then missing important information buried in the chaff.
Yeah, that's one of the downsides to it, along with the mechanical difficulties and early flaws with characterization. Still, I'd call it worth reading, even if only because it isn't absolute rubbish.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:21 pm »

Oh, and if anyone's interested in reading Game of Thrones fanfic, I recommend The North Remembers. It's the closest we have to a complete series of ASOIAF. 
Sig! Onol

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »

I'm not sure how much of a demand for this there would be around these parts. But here's a rec for Maybe I'm a Lion by Dullahan. It's a crossover between Prototype and the least well known member of the Nasuverse holy trinity, Kara No Kyoukai (the other two members being FSN and Tsukihime). Basically, semi-major antagonist Lio Shirazumi from Knk gets the blacklight virus instead of Alex Mercer, and it has an interesting reaction to his awakened origin. Crazyness ensues.

This fanfic is pretty notable for being so well written and characterized that it can go several chapters with absolutely nothing major happening at all, AND IT WILL STILL BE INTERESTING. Two major contributors to this fact is A) hilariously snarky monologues all over the place, and B) Dullahan does massive amounts of research for this fic, and it shows. As one poster on Beast's Lair put it recently, "I think this is the only fanfic I have ever read that has actually made me a little smarter. Each chapter has more culture than I do in my entire body."

This has also given the fic a length that the author has stated currently stands at about equal to that of A Storm of Swords. And it's still nowhere close to ending.

It you're not familiar with Knk, you'll likely need some wiki walking in order to familiarize yourself with the terms and characters in order to tell what going on at the start. But it's worth it. The fic is an absolute masterpiece and is one of my favorites.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:45 am »

Bloody hell, Furt. Seeing if there was something more centralized for that than that forum lead me over to TvTropes and its Doorstopper's page, which lead me to this.

I feel intimidated and somewhat inadequate.

E: And there's apparently a few other 3m+ works out there, too. Oh dear.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:08:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2014, 12:12:39 am »

Bloody hell, Furt. Seeing if there was something more centralized for that than that forum lead me over to TvTropes and its Doorstopper's page, which lead me to this.

I feel intimidated and somewhat inadequate.

E: And there's apparently a few other 3m+ works out there, too. Oh dear.

TSEWC kinda sucks. It's a lot of spam. I tried getting into it, just for the challenge, but I never could because it's weird OC + OOC + wordspam + what is even going on + why so many words.

If you want gabzillions of words, Prince of the Dark Kingdom. Do it. DO IT.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:00 am »

I've tried to repeatedly without any luck :-\

Hasn't really managed to hook me, despite starting to read it probably five or six times already. It's in the unfinished fic folder, and I'll get around to it... eventually, I guess. I've kicked through a few over-million word ones (These Black Eyes, Hybrid Theory, at least the first fic in that one Gundam Seed trilogy monstrosity, which was fairly decent.), but haven't cracked PotDK yet.

Still. There's just something to looking at a word count, seeing it to be seven digits, and then noticing the first number isn't a 1. The amazing thing is that by the time I die, there's likely to be at least one work out there that breaches eight digits.

E: Also apparently the collective mass of Undocumented Features broke 3 mil at some point. Neat. Got further into that one than I did PotDK, but never very far, either...

E2: Looks like Trial by Tenderness's been updated since the last time I had caught up to it, too... which isn't exactly saying much, since the last FF.N update was in 2010, but it's been probably a good 8-9 years since the last time I read any of it. Also I'm not entirely sure I'd actually recommend it, per se, since it gets into some pretty heavy stuff. Still.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:31:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:53 am »

Yeah, that seems to be the trend with monsterfics, so many of them are rife with problems.

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:56 am »

Yeah, that seems to be the trend with monsterfics, so many of them are rife with problems.
The North Remembers seems to be actually pretty damn good from what I've read.
Sig! Onol

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:16 am »

That's only 500k words, though. It's still a baby monsterfic. Almost 600k, though! Few hundred thousand more and it'll even start to be cutely intimidating.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21