Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109026 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

... bah. Go here. There's a set of links under the arc things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:52 pm »

... bah. Go here. There's a set of links under the arc things.

Thanks for that. I actually think I didn't pay enough attention the first time and you were right, since going back seems that Pusakuronu's stuff is linear, so sorry for saying that you were wrong when you weren't. The links are still much appreciated though, downloading a PDF currently so I can read it on my phone and it'll be easier to handle than going back and forth between links.

Also, finished Embers.
The fic is great, the author is very talented. I really, really, really want to say that I can put it up there with Dauntless and the rest, but I personally can't, though I absolutely understand (and encourage) others to do so if they find it very good. I was just hoping that Embers was like the He Who Fights Monsters of Avatar: the kiddie gloves are off, reality is terrifying, and there's no room here for the best of intentions because the only thing that matters is making sure you and whoever else you care about stays alive. Instead, the author did as much of that as possible, throwing in as much of reality as possible, while the characters could still remain who they were without reality slapping them hard enough in the face to force drastic personality change. That meant that is like a somewhat darker, much more realistic version of the original, instead of a very realistic version of the original which would have forced an overall tone change throughout the entire series. For me it kinda clashed: you have war in all its horror in small doses, coupled with an optimistic, upbeat, almost innocent tone layered on everything.
The portrayal of Zuko and Iroh here suit mostly what I want, but the Gaang and the rest of the world only start seeing reality for what it is much later than them (granted, it doesn't help that Aang is terribly ignorant about anything bad and the other characters are children who haven't seen the worst of it or people who were kept away from the wat). I guess I'd like it way more if the author instead wrote the fic starting from the very beginning, guiding the course of character development with the same tone that followed Zuko and Iroh.

Like I said, excellent fic, my only gripe is that it followed too close to the original in some areas for my taste, and I can't really blame the author or the fic for that.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I probably should have explained more thoroughly how Anime Addventure is set up. But as per what you two have said, ePub is simpler all around if you have a program or firefox plugin for the format.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:43 am »

Blarg. Anyone know a way to copy links from an iPad bookmark list quickly?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32:20 am »

I require more Vespene Fanfics.

Tried getting into Dungeon Keeper Ami, got a couple/few dozen chapters in, my interest kinda peter'd out. I didn't care about the characters or the plot (because it moved sooooooooooo slooooooooooooowwwwwwww) nearly as much as I did the neat things Ami was doing with engineering and magic, but that can only last so long. It's not that bad, I just couldn't keep going on it. Then I got into Dragon Age: Crown of Thorns that was linked earlier in the thread, and I immediately liked it a lot better, but I decided to take a break from reading it and stumbled upon Soul Chess (Bleach x Code Geass) when looking for Code Geass crossover fics. It's about 1.8 million words of amateur writing that may or may not get better, but I lost almost all my interest when I read about how it took Lelouch "only 10 minutes" to decrypt a single sentence which only had a take-out-the-vowels cypher that I understood in like 4 seconds.

After that I decided to not really read anything to plan more on my FoZ x NGE crossover fic I intend to write (yearp, moar summonzing from different animu. I haven't seen one with Asuka done though), but I'm in a pretty good spot now and looking for some really good stuff that I haven't read/started reading.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2014, 08:55:44 pm »

This. Just, this. There's a rare example of a first-person OC that's written well and avoids the traditional routes to shit of such things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In either case, it's short (61k words) and complete, which is something of a rarity in and of itself. Funny, calling a novel-length story short, isn't it?

Familiar of the Fairy: Here's another interesting one, a ZnT fic that isn't a crossover. Instead, it relies on expanded worldbuilding to supply characters and new plot. Also begins fairly late in canon, well past a good chunk of the LNs. Fun times with elves, among other things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2014, 12:02:49 pm »

Peoples. Halp. My mind is telling me there is a Maoyuu Maou Yuusha fanfic out there, that I'm fairly sure is fairly lengthy and may or may not be a crossover with fate/stay night. I cannot find it. It is driving me up the wall. I've seen one potential mention of it on a site that appears to be down and like, nothing else. Has... has any other fic readers here happen to have ran across it? And remember what it was called/where to find it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »

An MMR x FSN fic is definitely within my interests. Unfortunately I wasn't able to turn anything up, but I did find some fanfiction.com user accounts with favorite story lists that seem pretty cool. I'll be reading through them to check them out and see if anything's good.

@FD: I read I'm Here to Help. I had to wiki some things since it's been so freaking long ago since I saw Sailor Moon, and I don't even think I got that far into it. Still, that was a surprisingly good fic. I don't normally read anything that short, but I am glad that I read it.

Haven't checked out Familiar of the Fairy yet.

So Shinji & WH40k has been updating. I'm rereading through it and really enjoying the revisions. I remember when I was first reading it that it was sloppy, but it's much more enjoyable now.

For anyone that has read the webseries Worm, there is a fanfiction over at Archive of Our Own called Cenotaph by the author notes. It's really well-done, IMO, and it follows Taylor as if she had taken a slightly different path. Doesn't go through the whole series, but it sounds like there might be more books afterwards (or not, but even if so, that's okay).
And if you haven't read Worm, you really, really, really, really should. Specifically look into Worm's About page to see if you'd be interested. When it starts out you might be thinking it's just another tropey young adult superpowers story, and then later you realize you might just be strapping yourself into a ride through Deconstruction Lane.

Also, the author of the XCOM x Mass Effect fic XCOM: Second Contact (which was linked in this thread before I believe) has written a crossover fic for Worm x StarCraft titled Templar, which doesn't have all that much content now but it looks very promising. Essentially, Taylor has Protoss Dark Templar powers. I don't think the crossover with StarCraft goes any further than that.

There's also a gem of a fanfiction that the HP: Methods of Rationality author recommended some time back called Friendship is Optimal. It's a My Little Pony fanfiction, but don't get scared away just yet, because it's set in reality. Like reality reality. MLP is a consumer brand, and the story follows the production of an AI to handle a new MLP MMO. Cue the existential crisis.
Summary:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:52 pm »

Hey, I remember friendship is optimal! Did it ever get past chapter 3?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:14 am »

Hey, I remember friendship is optimal! Did it ever get past chapter 3?

It is complete with an epilogue and author's thoughts, so yes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2014, 07:26:37 pm »

Have some more fics:
Better Left Unsaid: Mizuki never tells Naruto he's the container for the Nine-Tails, AU ensues.
Rise of the Uchiha: Itachi doesn't stop the uprising. Konoha is ruled over by the Uchiha Clan, and all other ninja are second-class citizens.
How to Win Friends, Influence People, and Start a Secret Ninja Organization: Jiraiya leaves Naruto alone in a town while he does some stuff. Things escalate.
Middle of Nowhere: An ordinary man is driving along the road when he hits something. He gets out only to find that not only is the road gone, it wasn't a human he hit; it was a darkspawn.

Sorry if these have been suggested already.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2014, 09:26:37 pm »

Naruto The Horror of the Bloody Leaf: Gotta admit I love this one. Naruto gets the shit tortured out of him as a kid, impresses the Kyuubi and proceeds to terrify EVERYONE.
Born of Wickedness
: Warning: Lots and lots of lemons. Overlord crossover, pretty damn funny.
Return of the Spiral: An 'The Uzumaki aren't dead' fic. Not exactly focussed on Naruto, but Samurai Uzumaki and Ninja/Samurai hybrids are just made of awesome.
Naruto The Gamer: Utterly fucking brilliant. That is all.
Avatar of Discord: Not entirely sure how to categorise this, but here's a little quote: 'Curse you and your hip attitude Minato!'

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2014, 03:09:05 am »

Brilliant fic. Hilarious and serious in equal measure.
If anyone has any tips on actually writing fanfic, can you give me some? Attempting to write a Harry Potter fic - my first fic - and though I have some awesome ideas for when it gets going, having trouble actually getting it up to a workable point.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »

I don't feel confident personally giving advice, but go to the Spacebattles and/or Sufficient Velocity forums. They'll straighten you out good.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21