Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109005 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2014, 02:34:35 am »

Embers, a more "realistic" take on Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Currently reading and HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOOD.
Especially loving
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Embers and Methods of Rationality are my two favorite fanfics I've ever read (So far)!
Question FZ,
Do you really want to know? If you do:

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:42 am »

Embers, a more "realistic" take on Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Currently reading and HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOOD.
Especially loving
Embers and Methods of Rationality are my two favorite fanfics I've ever read (So far)!
Question FZ,
Do you really want to know? If you do:
Alright, thanks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »

I'm not sure how much of a demand for this there would be around these parts. But here's a rec for Maybe I'm a Lion by Dullahan. It's a crossover between Prototype and the least well known member of the Nasuverse holy trinity, Kara No Kyoukai (the other two members being FSN and Tsukihime). Basically, semi-major antagonist Lio Shirazumi from Knk gets the blacklight virus instead of Alex Mercer, and it has an interesting reaction to his awakened origin. Crazyness ensues.
I just want to bump the thread to say Furt, you are now on my explicit "Good People" list at least in regards to fiction suggestions(as opposed to the implicit one which is much larger).

I'm a bit more than halfway through the linked fic. It... it is thoroughly pleasing. So I'm saying: Other folks, if you didn't check it out, check it out. Especially past the... third or forth chapter? Something like that. Once Dulla stopped using the crazy run ons of crazy that made my eyes glaze and skip over stuff, quite so much, and started getting into the meatsy bits of it. I seriously wish there was a more contiguous format than forum post but... whatever.

Also, for any leery about digging into it without knowledge of the parent series... I'm getting by pretty well without. The closest exposure I've had to KnK is tangential through other Nasuverse fics (which is to say some distant background stuff, but basically nothing involving the series events or any particularities) and the only exposure I'd had to Protoype was Unfamiliar, which FD linked earlier. And it's not detracting! Like, at all.

Seriously, it's good stuff. Very spy thriller mixed with Nasuverse mixed with... other stuff! S'great.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2014, 01:41:30 am »

Working through the backlog and I must say, Chunin Exam Day is absolutely brilliant up until everything goes Godmode Sue. At that point it's still readable, but I couldn't get into it as much. Because seriously.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:57 am »

Working through the backlog and I must say, Chunin Exam Day is absolutely brilliant up until everything goes Godmode Sue. At that point it's still readable, but I couldn't get into it as much. Because seriously.

>-> can't stand the thing at all to be honest. A lot of it comes off as unnecessarily cruel and OOOc even at the start. And the writing quality is below my standards. Theres a riff on spacebattles that fits my thoughts on it. Though in a waaay angrier fashion
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:34:27 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2014, 10:10:04 am »

>-> can't stand the thing at all to be honest. A lot of it comes off as unnecessarily cruel and OOOc even at the start. And the writing quality is below my standards. Theres a riff on spacebattles that fits my thoughts on it. Though in a waaay angrier fashion

I felt much the same way, from the OOCness to the mediocre quality to how PLH fucks around with his readers for attention. Add to all that the idiotic harem antics; even if you're trying to be funny, the whole "every woman can be bought with clothes and massages" is just stupid and offensive. I mean, I can see how it became popular, given that it's chock full of all the things that a certain subset of the fanbase loves, but... yeah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

Reading Embers. It'll take a while. Somewhere around 1/2 through. Depending on the rest of the fic, this is likely going to be up for "God-tier" fanfiction. This is AU done right, because it's AU in a way that makes sense, with characters that makes sense, with a plot that makes sense if it ever got explained beyond dialogue that always seems slightly non-sequitur (although still seemed to fit the original series). I'm already liking it way more than I did ATLA because it addresses one of my gripes with it: In war, people die.

Also, the author is a ww2 buff (which is only really mentioned when reviewers are like "Analogue to WW2!" and the author is like "Let me tell you about WW2 and why you're wrong."), among many other kinds of buff. The author's notes are very pleasurable reads on their own.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

You know, I'd really like to read this sort of thing - realistic, people-die-in-war - (preferably from the same author) but in the HP or Naruto verses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »

There's almost certainly some of that ilk in both, yes. Just a matter of finding them in two of the most glutted series in the fanfiction world, heh. Relatively sure I've read some good ones, but... well, I've read easily a couple hundred 60k+ fics from both of those fandoms over the years. It... blends together. Gets fuzzy. You forget stuff over the years. It's actually kinda' amusing when you start reading something and about three chapters in suddenly realize you've actually read this before, like, a decade ago or something, but you hadn't realized it from the title/summary/whatever. It's a different sensation from knowingly setting out to re-read something, heh.

... which is why you ask if others have, of course. Decentralize the filtering process, etc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:47 pm »

You know, I'd really like to read this sort of thing - realistic, people-die-in-war - (preferably from the same author) but in the HP or Naruto verses.
The big problem is that when you mix that tone with those fandoms, most of the output tends to be wangsty gorn rather than brutal and dramatic. :x

3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2014, 12:17:13 am »

The big problem is that when you mix that tone with those fandoms, most of the output tends to be wangsty gorn rather than brutal and dramatic. :x
I guess.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:34 am »

I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I've got a couple fics pegged for that request floating around the back of my mind, but I can't really remember their names. They've probably been mentioned here already, though.

Unrelated: I'll reiterate, just in case it was overlooked or dismissed. Dungeon Keeper Ami is incredible. Don't be turned off by the somewhat outdated site, it's bloody amazing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:33 am »

Unrelated: I'll reiterate, just in case it was overlooked or dismissed. Dungeon Keeper Ami is incredible. Don't be turned off by the somewhat outdated site, it's bloody amazing.

How is this meant to be read? Kinda turned off by the whole Choose Your Own Adventure sort of thing when it comes to supposedly great fanfiction. Not sure what is or isn't great. Is there any good guide on the best read-through, or are you just recommending we go with the CYOA format?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:25 am »

Top to bottom (chronologically, in other words), following the entries made by Pusakuronu. More or less. Some of the stuff by other authors are interesting enough, but it should basically be treated as written by that pusa fellow.
Ask not!
Ask!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2014, 07:15:39 am »

Top to bottom (chronologically, in other words), following the entries made by Pusakuronu. More or less. Some of the stuff by other authors are interesting enough, but it should basically be treated as written by that pusa fellow.

Yeah, tried that, except they immediately branch. I think chapter 2 (on that list) is where they get melded together and chapter 3 (on that list) is if instead they didn't, and then both of those also branch.
So no.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21