Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Fanfic Recomendations  (Read 109014 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic Recomendations
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:56 am »

Yeah, that seems to be the trend with monsterfics, so many of them are rife with problems.
The North Remembers seems to be actually pretty damn good from what I've read.
That's only 500kish words. I'm talking about the ones that don't even slow down when they hit their first million. Which, incidentally, describes the source of a great deal of their problems: they don't slow down for anything. Like spellcheck, or proofreading. Or not filling them with self-inserts and Sues. Or overshadowing the characters people are interested in with retarded OCs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:43 am »

But still pretty awesome for a fanfic.
Yeah, that seems to be the trend with monsterfics, so many of them are rife with problems.
The North Remembers seems to be actually pretty damn good from what I've read.
That's only 500kish words. I'm talking about the ones that don't even slow down when they hit their first million. Which, incidentally, describes the source of a great deal of their problems: they don't slow down for anything. Like spellcheck, or proofreading. Or not filling them with self-inserts and Sues. Or overshadowing the characters people are interested in with retarded OCs.
Oh, well yeah those. Those are ... slurry, to put it inadequately.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:01 am »

Eh. I've got a pretty high tolerance for non-series characters and whatnot. Half the time the stuff I'm reading's from media works I've never read, watched, or occasionally even heard of. Not exactly invested in the canon characters, I just want something to read :P

Which seems to lead to enjoying stuff other folks discard, often enough. So... m'fine with it, ha. The character bitsies, anyway. Spellcheck and proofreading is more of an issue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:27 am »

To be perfectly honest, the only fic I've read with an OC in a major role that I've been able to actually like was Dauntless. Pretty much every one outside of that bears all the hallmarks of juvenile power fantasies--I should know, I dreamed up enough of them when I was younger. The difference, of course, is that I didn't write hundreds of thousands of words about overpowered canon-breaking bullshit that nobody else cares about. Frankly, if you've got a ton of great ideas for OCs, write your own story. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:05 am »

I'm not really a fan of OCs and SIs, but some can be really good, like Elan Malfoy in They Shook Hands, even though I hate the little bastard's guts.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2014, 03:37:08 am »

You know what would be awesome? A Familiar Of Zero/Mass Effect crossover that had Wrex or even Mordin being summoned by Louise. That would be brilliant.

In other news, Dismissal Of Zero is AWESOME.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:39:44 am by Gamerlord »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:36 am »

Frankly, if you've got a ton of great ideas for OCs, write your own story. :|
Why you gotta' hate on remixin' and moddin' like that, FD? There innit a meaningful difference between that and fanfiction. Sometimes it can be hard to hear the theme it's being based offa', or the gameplay ends up radically different... but if it's still good, why does that matter? And if it is a juvenile fantasy, power or otherwise... hell, what's wrong with that? So's a great many video games, and that doesn't seem to stop folks from enjoying 'em. Raffi's still good music, and any who say otherwise can put up dere dukes :|

See those admonishments pretty often and it's just not something I grok. Which is why I comment, 'cause I jus' don't understand. Similar to th'hate of "overpowered" stuff. If it's still well written (/aesthetically pleasing/fun to play), then... so what? It's a particular style, with its own merits and issues, but not something t'dismiss out of hand, y'know? If it's fun, it's fun, and there's nothin' wrong with enjoying it, even if it's not... mature, or whatever.

I'unno, I guess I just stopped looking at fanfiction characters as, well, fanfiction characters at some point. Each and every fanfic character is an OC s'far as I'm concerned, regardless as to if they're sharing a description -- even if just a name -- and perhaps mannerisms with a character from another work. It's better that way :I
Ask not!
Ask!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »

I've tried to repeatedly without any luck :-\

Hasn't really managed to hook me, despite starting to read it probably five or six times already. It's in the unfinished fic folder, and I'll get around to it... eventually, I guess. I've kicked through a few over-million word ones (These Black Eyes, Hybrid Theory, at least the first fic in that one Gundam Seed trilogy monstrosity, which was fairly decent.), but haven't cracked PotDK yet.

That sucks. I guess the best way to do it is not to approach it like it's a million+ monster story and more like you're reading Harry Potter for the first time and starting on the first book. It's just when the first book ends, the second book is already attached to it, and then the third and so on. If I understand correctly, PotDK is somewhere around book 6 or 7 for equivalent timeline.
If you can't get into it, though, then you can't get into it. I wish you could, because it's just so damned good.

@OCs, the problem is less that OCs are included and more that the overwhelming vast majority of OCs are poorly thought-out, poorly written, overshadow the main cast in ways that is insulting to the fanbase or are obvious self-inserts where the author proclaims "LOK HOW AWSUM I AM" where the inherent hypocrisy is so mind-shatteringly blatant that it burns your soul to witness it. It's less of a problem with OCs and more of a problem with Sturgeon's Law regarding fanfic authors.

I've read plenty of fics with OCs or where members of the main cast are basically replaced by an OC (like Rei from Nobody Dies). Some can be quite good, some just entertaining, but most are terribad.

Unless FD just hates OCs on principle, in which case I'm with Frumple on that one.

Also, lies Flying Dice. You like A Green Sun Illuminates the Void. That's another one you like with major-character OCs. =P
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2014, 03:04:07 pm »

Frankly, if you've got a ton of great ideas for OCs, write your own story. :|
Why you gotta' hate on remixin' and moddin' like that, FD? There innit a meaningful difference between that and fanfiction. Sometimes it can be hard to hear the theme it's being based offa', or the gameplay ends up radically different... but if it's still good, why does that matter? And if it is a juvenile fantasy, power or otherwise... hell, what's wrong with that? So's a great many video games, and that doesn't seem to stop folks from enjoying 'em. Raffi's still good music, and any who say otherwise can put up dere dukes :|

See those admonishments pretty often and it's just not something I grok. Which is why I comment, 'cause I jus' don't understand. Similar to th'hate of "overpowered" stuff. If it's still well written (/aesthetically pleasing/fun to play), then... so what? It's a particular style, with its own merits and issues, but not something t'dismiss out of hand, y'know? If it's fun, it's fun, and there's nothin' wrong with enjoying it, even if it's not... mature, or whatever.

I'unno, I guess I just stopped looking at fanfiction characters as, well, fanfiction characters at some point. Each and every fanfic character is an OC s'far as I'm concerned, regardless as to if they're sharing a description -- even if just a name -- and perhaps mannerisms with a character from another work. It's better that way :I

The issue is that most people who write that sort of thing don't know how to do it well, so it ends up being the OCs shitting all over canon. When I say overpowered, I'm specifically talking about one character (or group of characters) being out of line with the rest of the cast, with nothing to balance that power. Think on the scale of (say) StrikerS-era Nanoha in magicless low fantasy, or the Dai Gurren Brigade in a less-bullshity Gundam series. Basically, stuff where all of the "problems" with canon are effortlessly solved by the author's squad of power-incontinent Sues.

I'm not saying that there are no good fics with central-cast OCs (in fact, I clearly stated the opposite), but they are painfully rare.

Unless FD just hates OCs on principle, in which case I'm with Frumple on that one.

Also, lies Flying Dice. You like A Green Sun Illuminates the Void. That's another one you like with major-character OCs. =P
1. See above.

2. Marisalon isn't exactly an OC. I tend to view characters differently when they, while technically derived from the author's mind, could plausibly have existed in their own canon, as with her case (and in Dauntless, as a matter of fact). Good OCs are the ones which fit effortlessly into the setting that they are supposed to be from.

This, in turn, explains my issue: OCs. Not just characters who, while technically original, are derived from the standards of a given extant fictional world, but characters who are explicitly alien to any and every canon universe from which a fic derives. This includes self-inserts and the steaming piles of Sue like the OCs in this. It is explicitly the last category which I rail against, because they almost invariably overshadow and trivialize everything from the world that the author is nominally writing about.

tl;dr:

GOOD: OCs designed to mesh with an existing universe, canon characters who are OOC (in the sense that they have different experiences and habits) because of differing events in an AU timeline.

BAD: OCs who are disconnected from everything but the author's imagination who steal the spotlight and solve every problem with minimal trouble (read: Sues), characters who are OOC for no discernible reason beyond "omg gaiz this is so kewl".

I'd say that this is a sub-application of Sturgeon's Revelation; at the very least 90% of OCs and OOC canon characters are of the latter type. Ergo, I tend to distrust the quality of works containing them until they prove to belong to the former. It's not rocket science.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:45 pm »

Anywaaaay. Something I remember reading! Sorta'. It has been a long bloody time since I read it. But! I recall a rather impressive story climax involving fire, for some reason, so... I tracked it down again. Just now. And I'm sharing! Might even read it soon-ish. Anyway.
Ask not!
Ask!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:44 am »

Mass Effect
Renegade, Mass Effect/Command and Conquer crossover. Already Recommended.
First Contact, humanity is encountered by the Citadel races before finding the prothean ruins on Mars. Already Recommended.

Naruto
Black Cloaks, Red Clouds, Akatsuki-centered AU; Orochimaru as Hokage. Tenten as main character.
Various fics by Rathanel. I personally recommend The Empty Cage, an AU where Naruto dies during the sealing, and the Nine-Tailed Fox is left to puppet his corpse. Already recommended x3 combo.
Naruto: Ramen Days, similar to the aforementioned Naruto: Game of the Year Edition; Naruto finds his life taking on increasingly game-like aspacts during the Chunin Exam.
Lighting Up the Dark, HPatMOR-inspired fic featuring a smarter Naruto who is host to the "Nine-Brained Demon Fox".
And Then Suddenly, Ninjas!, a fic wherein the Fourth decides not to reveal that the fox is sealed inside Naruto, and everything is a bit different for it.
Time And Again, a time-travel fic where an adult Naruto is sent back after experiencing Orochimaru's victory.

Harry Potter
Sephiroth Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, HP/FFVII crossover. Sephiroth is reincarnated as Harry.
Deathly Hallowed, Lily makes a pact with eldritch forces to keep her son safe. Cthulhu-ish feel.

Other stuff, because I can't not share good fics:
Embers, a more "realistic" take on Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Rationalising Death, HPatMOR-inspired take on Death Note.
Overlady, Faliliar of Zero/Overlord crossover. Doesn't require knowledge of either source. Recommended already x4 combo.
Big Human On Campus, Ranma 1/2 crossed with Rosario & Vampire. Ranma finds himself enrolled is a school filled with monsters. x5 combo!
The Dark Lords of Nerima, Ranma/Sailor Moon. The Senshi get it in their heads that Ranma and Ryoga are evildoers, and things escalate from there.
Reunions are a Bitch, Battlestar Galactica/Stargate: SG-1 crossover. Very detailed cultural comparisons between the two factions, though the author has something against commas.
Sleeping With the Girls, multiple crossovers. A mostly average guy finds that every time he goes to sleep, he wakes up in the bed of one of his favorite anime characters. Said characters are unamused.

DAMNIT FLYING DICE WHY DID YOU SUGGEST ALL THE GOOD FICS ALREADY?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:12 am »

Currently reading and HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOOD.
Especially loving
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2014, 01:06:03 am »

Note: It is very divisive, so be wary when discussing it on other forums.
It's FEF, not FEOF

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:33 am »

Especially loving
Embers and Methods of Rationality are my two favorite fanfics I've ever read (So far)!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2014, 01:12:57 am »

Especially loving
Embers and Methods of Rationality are my two favorite fanfics I've ever read (So far)!
Question FZ,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21