Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moods and insanity  (Read 633 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moods and insanity
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:44:00 pm »

The wiki states that a dwarf who has completed a mood is immune to insanity. Does this mean that they will be resistant due to the large happiness boost, or that they will never go insane? Thanks!
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Moods and insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »

I've never heard such a claim before.  Anyway, I believe creating an artifact gives something on the order of +1000 happiness, so it would be nigh impossible to make a dwarf miserable enough to go nuts right after he or she made an artifact.  Fast forward a few months and that happiness bonus would be gone and they'd be just as easy to drive bonkers as the next dwarf.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:59:30 pm »

As I recall a dwarf who's made an artifact is completely immune to insanity unless the artifact they made is lost or destroyed, in which case they instantly go insane.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:28 pm »

I've never heard such a claim before.  Anyway, I believe creating an artifact gives something on the order of +1000 happiness, so it would be nigh impossible to make a dwarf miserable enough to go nuts right after he or she made an artifact.  Fast forward a few months and that happiness bonus would be gone and they'd be just as easy to drive bonkers as the next dwarf.
This

As I recall a dwarf who's made an artifact is completely immune to insanity unless the artifact they made is lost or destroyed, in which case they instantly go insane.
Nope. In the current version stolen/destroyed artifacts don't even cause a bad thought.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:22 pm »

Okay, thanks.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:26:46 am »

In the current version of Dwarf Fortress, there are seven events that can cause a unit to go insane, and 4 of those can be experienced by members of your fortress - a strange mood being forcibly cancelled due to workshop deconstruction (or magma forge losing power), a strange mood timing out (from being unable to claim a workshop or collect all of its items), extreme drowsiness (over 6 months without sleeping, which can really only happen if you lock the dwarf in a room filled with traps since they'll refuse to go to sleep and trigger a trap), and prolonged unhappiness (throwing one too many tantrums in a short period of time) if the dwarf has not completed strange mood.

If a dwarf completes a strange mood and creates an artifact, then even if they become Miserable and repeatedly throw tantrums, they will not go insane (unless they're kept awake for 6+ months). Dwarves which haven't completed a strange mood have a chance to go Insane each time they decide throw a tantrum - the actual mechanics are described here, based on studying a disassembly of the relevant code. Incidentally, this logic has existed since the earliest versions of Dwarf Fortress released, albeit less complicated back then (e.g. back in 23a, it didn't look at personality traits because they didn't exist yet).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:29:17 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:50:38 am »

What is the timer for drowsiness-induced insanity? I was messing around with it a bit and had one dwarf go insane somewhere between 5 1/2 and 6 months in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »

In the current version of Dwarf Fortress, there are seven events that can cause a unit to go insane, and 4 of those can be experienced by members of your fortress - a strange mood being forcibly cancelled due to workshop deconstruction (or magma forge losing power), a strange mood timing out (from being unable to claim a workshop or collect all of its items), extreme drowsiness (over 6 months without sleeping, which can really only happen if you lock the dwarf in a room filled with traps since they'll refuse to go to sleep and trigger a trap), and prolonged unhappiness (throwing one too many tantrums in a short period of time) if the dwarf has not completed strange mood.

If a dwarf completes a strange mood and creates an artifact, then even if they become Miserable and repeatedly throw tantrums, they will not go insane (unless they're kept awake for 6+ months). Dwarves which haven't completed a strange mood have a chance to go Insane each time they decide throw a tantrum - the actual mechanics are described here, based on studying a disassembly of the relevant code. Incidentally, this logic has existed since the earliest versions of Dwarf Fortress released, albeit less complicated back then (e.g. back in 23a, it didn't look at personality traits because they didn't exist yet).
Okay.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:33:00 pm »

I am so psyched to have a new way to torment dwarfs.

Will dwarfs sleep in water?

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »

Now, I'm curious...what are the other three possible causes, which can't afflict your dwarfs?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »

Now, I'm curious...what are the other three possible causes, which can't afflict your dwarfs?
As listed on the "Insanity" page on the wiki:
* Diplomat that completed its meeting gets stuck inside your fortress
* Merchant gets stuck or disrupted ("Mule is stricken by melancholy!")
* Diplomat or Merchant gets trapped in a cage (distinct from the above two cases)

In the old 2D versions, an invader from the cave river / chasm / magma flow would go insane if it was caged, and prior to 0.27.176.38b a dwarf who became "obsessed" with his/her artifact would go insane if it was stolen or destroyed (though, as of 0.23.130.23a, a bug prevented this from ever happening).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:37:15 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.