Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF burial traditions  (Read 1316 times)

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF burial traditions
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:18 pm »

How do thw dorfs burial traditions look?

Upon meating death different burial traditions exist in different cultures.
How do your dwarfs burial traditions look?

Do you who have played adventure mode stumbled on any interesting ways
, for exampel how do a dwarf burial look in adventure mode?

My dwarfs love to dig graves in the caves. In the bigger pillars of the caves I do dig out there cliffgraves in multipel levels.
Slabs on the other hand can be placed autside the pillars that then got a workingplace built and then d-diged out place for the slabs.

Another burial-tradition my dwarfs have practised is placing the dead in old ore-viens, outdigged with df-hacks dig-v. Coffins, slabs and statues in a little bit outspread condition

Catacombs with burialchamber do I do very seldom, think it´s a bit boring. The militarygraveyard is something I do not like so no big room with only slabs for my dorfs

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: DF burial traditions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:33:36 pm »

Their bones lie forgotten on the field of battle, unmourned and unhonored, their only legacy the weapons they leave behind.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:51:39 am »

Dwarves can die? Huh.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:04 am »

I dig crypts.  They are the lowest level of my (pre-conceptualized) fortress, just below the nobles' rooms, which are just below the commoner level.  They're VERY minimalist however, with coffins stacked up three deep per passage, I tried to go the route of ye olde catacombs.  There's room for the occasional slab as well of course.  My current DF Designator crypt level has space for 168 corpses... although of course that can be expanded if necessary.

Absolutely no necromancers allowed.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:43 am »

I put coffins (or sarcophagus in silver, gold, green glass, lead or whatever decent value material I have spare) in any room that needs a value boost. It reminds the others of the frailty of life and to enjoy every day like it's their last during meal times since the dining hall is usually the first to get a few coffins.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:25 am »

The deepest solid layer above the caverns is the Mausoleum. Thin hallways extend east and west from the stairs, with alcoves every other block, every third alcove becoming a vertical thin hallway. The horizontal hallway is "The Hall of the Lost" reserved for slabs, and all the vertical halls slowly fill. If they get too big, I add another horizontal hallway down at the end.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »

I'm not sure if there's currently any burial constructions made for dwarves in DF, but if not we might see something coming this release with the new dwarf sites. It'ss probably be expanded whenever we get proper religion and more intricate cultures as well :>

As for me, I usually go with crypts at the bottom level, which from the looks of it seems like a common approach. There are 9x9 chambers for the commoners, with 2 rows of 3 coffins each. Nobles, notable milita dwarves etc get bigger and further decorated tombs depending on their status ^^

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:52:48 pm »

I build crypts at a deep level too, sometimes quite large ones, fully engraved and filled with statues. The halls filled with coffins I use only for merchants and caravan guards. Fortress dwarfs get their own individual burial chamber, the size of which depends on the importance of the dwarf. Every grave gets a door, a coffin, a slab and if I have one a statue of the dwarf. Also statues of enemys they killed, if applicable and if I'm not too lazy to check for that. Usually an ordinary dwarf gets a 2x2 or 1x3 chamber, military, starting seven or otherwise remarkable dwarfs get at least 3x3. The higher ranking nobles, Dukes and Kings and their families can get really big ones, with everything out of expensive materials and sometimes artifacts.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00:11 pm »

I leave them where they lie, and line the road to my fortress with engraved slabs.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:41 am »

I put fifty or so coffins with citizens enabled, no pets in a room. Nearby is a larger room with even more pet only coffins.

I used to have dwarves throw parties in my graveyard stockpile on top of rotten dwarf corpses before I learned on the forums that this doesn't make them 'doesn't care about anything anymore.' Or whatever the line is from thoughts and preferences.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:27:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46:22 pm »

I go with 3 tile wide corridors in whatever area is largest and unused, lined with 2 tile wide alcoves every other space, each with a coffin and headstone for the deceased. Generally it's above or below the residential area. When possible, Militia Officers get steel (for leaders,) and iron (for the enlisted dorfs,) when possible, while important artisans (legendary carpenters or metalsmiths for example) get expensive coffins of silver, gold, or platinum. Dwarves lost to madness get wooden caskets, medical staff copper, and most common dwarves stone.

Graves are assigned ahead of time if at all possible, to minimize time the dead spend unburied. The way to the crypts is often guarded at least by watch dogs, but if I have anything nastier I use those instead.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 03:31:45 am »

I place coffins with the same care and attention as I place a blockmaker's in the middle of a fresh strip mine.

I've been trying to make my latest room o' tombs fancy by anointing it with blood, but the battle between the cave crocodiles and the speargoblin took so long that a dwarf started rotting. >:(
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:07 pm »

I've never bothered with coffins. Ever.

Slabs and cremation.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:45:48 am »

large catacombs with 3x3 burial chambers for any fortress dwarf who reached legendary in their field, plus nobles. royalty and landed nobility gets bigger. randoms and pets simply get a grave, if lucky. in my latest and longest lasting fortress, the majority of the 300+ population lays rotting near the 3rd cavern, their corpses guarded by an unstoppable army of demons.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »

Lately, I've been digging individual graves. A single channel from the surface into a 1x1 room with a sarcophagus. Once the burial takes place, the channel is floored over, and a slab to the dearly departed is erected over top of it. Usually the entire graveyard is placed either in an out of the way or walled off area to prevent tombstone desecration.
Pages: [1] 2