Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SMR mining  (Read 1333 times)

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SMR mining
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

So... The method described on the wiki works.  But I'm digging through a whole bunch of levels of SMR, no problem, only one loss.  How?  It's simple, you see.

If the dwarf digging the channel is standing on the square where he's digging it (only possible if he can't dig it from anywhere else) he'll end up on the unusable upward ramp.  Below the magma flow square.  I just dug through 35 levels of SMR this way, at the cost of one dwarf. :D

Oddly, no welcoming party spawned.  Might have something to do with the eternally collapsing Eerie glowing pit, but...

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: SMR mining
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »

I'm fairly certain that welcoming parties only spawn when you punch into a hollow tube; in theory, at least, that's the only way you're supposed to get down there anyway.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »

I'm fairly certain that welcoming parties only spawn when you punch into a hollow tube; in theory, at least, that's the only way you're supposed to get down there anyway.
Digging through a whole filled tube takes you there as well, it's just hollow tubes are more !!FUN!!
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:19:52 pm »

Just checked that theory,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, did a little more experimentation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:34:56 pm by Maolagin »

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:24:36 pm »

In that case, I think it was because there were no tubes on the map.  It was quite small...