Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slade Mining: Why-the-Hell-didn't-anyone-think-of-this-sooner Edition (spoilers)  (Read 5516 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Construct (NOT dig) stairs on the floor of Hell.
2. Dig an up stair directly below.

Seriously, that's all there is to it. It's so easy it should be common knowledge by now, but I couldn't find any post about it.

By the way, it's best to do one shaft at a time, since otherwise digging one staircase will prematurely reveal the slade below the other constructed staircases.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

This has been documented before, and slade has been science'd upon to create armor and weapons superior to adamantine.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's good to hear. If the forum had a halfway decent search feature, maybe I'd have been able to find that. Could you provide a link?

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, I'm aware of some of the complicated techniques for slade mining, such as the one listed on the wiki. The reason I posted is that I haven't seen anyone mention this particular, very simple technique.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

These are the methods I personally have now seen brooched.

1) stairs
2) upramps/downramps
3) channel over dropped tile
4) magma cast over slade floor with unrevealed wall below, then channel (mod of 3)

To make items from the mined slade, (other than a super deadly minecart loaded with slade boulders, of course) you will need to modify either the inorganic_stone entry for slade to make it have the requisite item type tags for existing stone or metal reactions, OR, will have to create a new reaction specifically for slade boulders.

Personally, I kinda would love to see a smelted and smithed slade battle axe, or a slade lightsaber.

I suppose it might also make good trap components for a weapon trap using an enormous axeblade as well.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile

Personally, I kinda would love to see a smelted and smithed slade battle axe, or a slade lightsaber.

I suppose it might also make good trap components for a weapon trap using an enormous axeblade as well.
Urist McHammertime swings his ☼Slade Warhammer☼ at the goblin Vixximeu!
It lands squarely on the goblin Vixximeu's upper body!
Vixximeu explodes into a bloody sausage!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I just remove [UNDIGGABLE] :)

This method is really good for no modding slade mining though.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made slade warhammers once, was not impressed with the results. I think they were so heavy that dorfs really couldn't swing em fast enough. It took longer for things to be killed than with metal hammers.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about lightsabers? It should have a smaller size, and lower total weight from an axe, but has much smaller contact area.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile

Urist McHammertime swings his ☼Slade Warhammer☼ at the goblin Vixximeu!
It lands squarely on the goblin Vixximeu's upper body!
Vixximeu explodes into a bloody sausage!

The goblin Emxalos triggers a stonefall trap!
The slade boulder falls on the goblin Emxalos's head.
Emxalos undergoes fission at the molecular level!
The goblin Emxalos has changed into the expanding cloud of monatomic particles Emxalos!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps slade could be useful as catapult ammo?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be terribly effective. If you could reliably hit your target.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

These are the methods I personally have now seen brooched.

1) stairs
2) upramps/downramps
3) channel over dropped tile
4) magma cast over slade floor with unrevealed wall below, then channel (mod of 3)

1) Stairs obviously work if you use the method I described, or if you can get under the slade and dig upward, as per the older method.
2) Designating a ramp just below the surface was a technique I tried. This will dig out a slade tile, but the boulder drops down into a revealed slade wall, making it tough to access.
3) This does not work. It reveals rather than mines the slade wall below the channelled square.
4) Same as 3.

I've also made another discovery which spurred a new semi-megaproject of mine. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but expect a new thread soon.

Even better, you can make a slade-filled minecart shotgun.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I said they were ways I have seen brooched-- not ways I have tested. ;)

Slade harvesting isn't something I have really ever tried.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For making Slade Warhammers

Was just messing around with raws and think I might have found something very game breaking. And it most likely will NOT require a world regen.

Under items_weapon there is can_stone tag which "Allows the weapon to be made at a craftsdwarf's workshop from a sharp ([MAX_EDGE:10000] or higher) stone (e.g. obsidian) plus a wood log."

Adding  can_stone to an existing worlds raws enables obsidian war hammers to be made at a craftsdorfshop.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon_token

Slade is MAX_EDGE:1000, changing it to MAX_EDGE:10000 will enable slade short swords (and hammers...)

If you could try this out and then test out the weapon's effectiveness for us it would be much appreciated.
Relevant Thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=128990.30

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a slade warhammer in a weapon trap would be better than wielded by a dwarf.  The dwarf swings at a slower velocity because of the weight, but weapon traps are fixed.  That's a lot of kinetic energy.
Pages: [1] 2