Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tattered caps and capes  (Read 822 times)

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tattered caps and capes
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:40 am »

I am 7 years into a fortress and I am running into an issue. I am keeping up well on tunics trousers and shoes, however items like caps capes gloves hoods ect. are getting tattered but not replaced; It is starting to create a lot of bad thoughts. Is there an easy way to get rid of non essential clothing items?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered caps and capes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44:23 am »

You might have to wait for it to rot off the dwarf and not make any more.

If you don't mind having them replace these items of clothing, you can make sure the only stockpile that accepts clothes doesn't have bins in it, and then you can easily seperate out the worn clothing for trading by searching for 'x' in the trade depot.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:55 am »

The bad thought is pretty tiny compared to most and really, don't replace caps. Caps are annoying if you want to have a militia
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »

I dump and atom-smash all caps as soon as I see 'em.  Evil fucking caps.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »

The bad thought is pretty tiny compared to most and really, don't replace caps. Caps are annoying if you want to have a militia
What's the deal with that?  I've seen it mentioned repeatedly, but I can't figure out from the armor page on the wiki why it would be a problem.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:24 pm »

Caps count as armor, so if you use a default armor template, military dwarfs won't replace their cloth caps with metal helmets. It'll work if you tell them to replace clothing with armor.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:46 pm »

More specifically, caps are "shaped", like helms.  You can only have 1 shaped item per body part, so having a cap prevents you from wearing a helm.  This changed at some point late during the DF2012 (0.34.x) series, right before Toady One stopped working on 0.34.x and doing next-release stuff.

Since virtually every civilian arrives with a cap on her head, it's very difficult to get them to wear helms.  You basically have to strip them naked and start from the ground up, which is what "replace clothing" does.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 04:03:19 pm »

On the other hand, it's not a big hassle to mod it out, I think
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lochar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:33 am »

(Edit) doh wrong thread!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:05:05 am by Lochar »