Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread  (Read 14104 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:09 pm »

Urorurilar, the fort in my sig, needs some more overseers. It uses my mod, Blood for Armok.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2014, 08:31:22 pm »

Urorurilar, the fort in my sig, needs some more overseers. It uses my mod, Blood for Armok.
This is awesome. Trust me.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »

All the succession games these days seem to be using mods like masterwork, etc. Is anyone still playing the vanilla game? I'd join a new succession fort using vanilla. Preferably with some kind of challenging or hopeless embark.

I found you a map if you want to get a game going.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's the worldgen settings from this LP, from the same guy who did Weatherwires. It generates a boatload of haunted glaciers with volcanos. The only problem is that it tends to be too harsh for goblins to survive... although since husking clouds seem to be attracted to migrant waves/carvans via magnetism you really don't need more zombie bait.
People are still playing the vanilla game, it just that most of us are waiting for the new release to come out before new succession games get started. Or, I would be waiting, should it actually be possible for me to play within the next 3 months. Still, there'll likely be a lot of bugfixes, so if you want to get a game going now, nobody's stopping you!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:51:25 pm by MDFification »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2022, 10:31:16 am »

brewer bob gestures!
the topic shudders and begins to move!

(Since we have a topic similar to what I was about to post, I'll just necro this one.)

I'm planning to (possibly) run a succession game, but I'm not sure if there's interest for my ideas, so I'll see if there's anyone wanting to join or will they just crush my hopes and dreams offer constructive criticism and tips (since I haven't run one on this forum before).

First, I'll be using a few things from Modest Mod (mainly a few fixes to animals, such as giving gazelle's horns, and increased max ages to giant variant, plus removing problematic tags from animal people), a couple new pottery/glazing reactions (it's always irked me that you can't make clay mugs/cups), and several new real-life animals from various mods & by me. Shouldn't be any stuff that alters game play too much.

Here's a couple ideas I have so far:

1. Capybara Man Fortress

Basically I would set up a starting scenario with 8-10 capybara men (bringing them with Adventure mode and changing orientation with DFHack). The main idea would be to pair up the capybaras and see if they'll get kids. I've managed to previously get adventurers married in fort mode, but never got so far as to see whether they'll have children. Population cap would be set to 1 to prevent dwarves migrating. However, it would be fine to accept petitioning visitors to live at the fort. We wouldn't be seeing any strange moods, but I'm willing to mod moods to capybara men if that's what people want.

I imagine this would be mostly a peaceful fort with nothing much happening until (or IF) the capybara men start breeding (or we get a huge wave of performance troupes). I'm thinking of having the fort mainly above ground (with a temporary one in the dirt), maybe next to the ocean or a lake with houses built on "stilts".

(This would probably work better as a single player experiment, but thought to ask if someone would be interested in a succession version.)

2. Dwarven University

The goal would be to build a university: "classrooms" would be essentially guild hall zones, each dedicated to a certain craft. Citizens would be split into three categories (I guess we'd be doing some burrowing for this to work):
a) Teachers - migrant dwarves (who are historical figures) with high skills in a certain crafts would be assigned to this group
b) Students - historical figure migrant dwarves with low skills would be assigned to this one
c) Workers - non-historical migrants would be assigned to the this lowly position (that is: they'd be the ones actually running the fort)

I thought of possibly using DFHack's embark anywhere to set up the university in a human town, but I'm not sure what shenanigans that'd cause (at least some Legends stuff was a bit funky last time I tried something similar, iirc). Another option would be to embark near one, or in some relatively calm place. Population cap would be kept quite low (below siege level), at least for starters.

3. Megaproject - The Great Wall of Urist/The Night's Watch

This would be a multi-fort project. There'd be some issues building the walls all the way up to the map borders, but there's a couple workarounds for that with DFHack (that I know of). Also, might take some time to generate a map (or use Perfect World) with an even remotely realistic possibility of finishing this one.

4. Fort Mode/Adventure Mode Crossover

No particular plan for this one, except that players can choose to pick a dwarf and go adventuring during their turn instead of running the fort (either make a new adventurer or use unretire-anyone to pick a dorf from the fort). This would optimally tie into something fort-related, such as going after a stolen artifact.

There'd be issues with retiring/unretiring, but most of that can be minimized with several tips and the rest can be somewhat fixed with DFHack (though, my methods are a bit tedious). Biggest problem would probably be the random folk who've decided to stay as friendlies and just chill out in the area (if there's a script or something to get them to leave, I'd be interested to know).

I haven't thought of any rules yet, but suggestions are welcome, as well as tips in running the game.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2022, 10:49:20 am »

what a necro

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2022, 10:50:34 am »

Honestly I'm down with Capyfort. I'd sign up for that. A friend and I did this with good old fashioned dwarves and took two-year turns. This helped speed up the aging process but also meant we could really fuck up the fort on our turn, unfortunately. Dwarves don't like not doing stuff.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2022, 12:16:15 pm »

Honestly I'm down with Capyfort. I'd sign up for that. A friend and I did this with good old fashioned dwarves and took two-year turns. This helped speed up the aging process but also meant we could really fuck up the fort on our turn, unfortunately. Dwarves don't like not doing stuff.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of allowing players to have longer turns if they want (maybe 2-3 years). Another possible way to speed things up would be to forcibly marry the starting capybaras with DFHack.

Also thinking of having some kind of mining to get crafts going (other than wood/shell/bone stuff) -- we don't want the citizens to end up miserable because of nothing to do. I think I'll also give the capys strange moods, so things will be maybe a bit more interesting (though, it'll take time to reach the 20 moodable citizens by natural means).

I'll generate a few worlds today and see what I come up with.

It's also possible that I'll do the other ideas anyway on separate forts, since I should have plenty of time on my hands for the next months.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2022, 12:24:22 pm »

All of these sound like good ideas. Capyfort is top although i think dwarven university has some great potential.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2022, 04:56:39 pm »

I've always wanted to do a great wall fort series!

I have three different worlds with huge undead regions that go horizontally across the whole map and it's always been begging me for a good wall!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2022, 05:20:26 pm »

Here is a wild idea combine two of them or if we are feeling risking all three. Imagine the Capyfort University on building a massive wall.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2022, 05:48:50 pm »

I've always wanted to do a great wall fort series!

I have three different worlds with huge undead regions that go horizontally across the whole map and it's always been begging me for a good wall!

Yeah, me too. The biggest problem I see is that to wall even one region would take a lot of work, which has kept me from trying it.

If you want to run a great wall series, I'll definitely join. For now I'll stick with a simpler plan: the capybara man fortress.

Here is a wild idea combine two of them or if we are feeling risking all three. Imagine the Capyfort University on building a massive wall.

I was actually thinking of this, too.

Though, I think we'll first start with a plain capybara fortress (genned already a world which seemed promising, and found an ok embark site by the sea too). After we've got the basic stuff running, we can opt to combine the other ideas if participants want. I'm actually thinking that since we won't be getting migrants (as they'd be dwarves, since I don't want to make a capybara man entity), a player (or any one who stumbles upon the topic) can ask to bring in more capybaras and say what stats they should have and maybe be "dorfed" as one (if they want).

If players/overseers want to do the fort retire/unretire stuff to go adventuring, but aren't sure they can (or are too lazy ) clean the shenanigans it causes to the fort, I'm willing to do the clean up before the next overseer.

In any case, hopefully by tomorrow I'll have things sorted enough that we can get started.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2022, 07:17:28 pm »

ah, very nice. glad to see some brainstorming. I myself have considered rebooting "competitive dwarf fortress" for a giggle, but have no time to dedicate to it.

I think the capy fort is great.

Regarding the "Sometimes you can go adventuring" fortress, I feel as though a player who runs that fortress might act as more of a dungeon master. So, loading the save and tidying up for players who are using fortress mode. Or making other additions fitting to an imagined characters desires.  it really only would work with some fairly strict rules. I dream of the seamless adventurer-fortress mode transition. . . one day.

RE: Dwarven university, I question how sustainable that sort of caste system would be over the course of a multi-year fortress. The ease by which dwarves gain skill is somewhat silly, for certain profs at least.

You know, that reminds me of a modded world I was playing, where skill gain was set to something like %20 of the normal rate. This made for really impactful decisions since every level gained was a big deal! So maybe pairing lowered skill gain and a young world, so that high skill immigrants remain rare, you would find a good balance to the relative skill level of each of your dwarves. And it would emphasize the educational themes such a fortress might have.

still though, I have yet to find a good way to mix caste-based organization with the practicalities of the gameplay. It usually ends up tedious without much gain beyond, well, itching some OCD nerve or whatever. maybe something to do with religion - sorting immigrants by primary and secondary beliefs, and seeing which cults dominate in population etc

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2022, 08:07:15 pm »

Regarding the "Sometimes you can go adventuring" fortress, I feel as though a player who runs that fortress might act as more of a dungeon master. So, loading the save and tidying up for players who are using fortress mode. Or making other additions fitting to an imagined characters desires.  it really only would work with some fairly strict rules.

Dungeon mastering was sort of what I had in mind. Definitely needs (some kind of) rules, you're right, though I usually like to keep rules to the minimum and just improvise.

I'm up for rules suggestions since I haven't tried anything similar with DF.

I dream of the seamless adventurer-fortress mode transition. . . one day.

Ooh, what bliss that will be! Honestly the thing I'm looking most forward to in the future of the fortress.

RE: Dwarven university, I question how sustainable that sort of caste system would be over the course of a multi-year fortress. The ease by which dwarves gain skill is somewhat silly, for certain profs at least.
---snip---
still though, I have yet to find a good way to mix caste-based organization with the practicalities of the gameplay. It usually ends up tedious without much gain beyond, well, itching some OCD nerve or whatever. maybe something to do with religion - sorting immigrants by primary and secondary beliefs, and seeing which cults dominate in population etc

Good points. I completely forgot about how ridiculously fast dwarves gain skills in fort mode. One way could be by limiting the time that the "school" zones are active. Maybe something like a school/guild zone is active only for a season a year, then the next one and so on, but one season (winter?) should be dedicated for rest and/or work with the schools closed?

And about the castes. I've actually never tried doing a caste-based fort, so if it doesn't seem feasible to do in a meaningful way, I'll ditch that idea or then have the castes not be strict (which I guess would be the same as not having them in the first place).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2022, 08:38:46 pm »

Obviously a university fort should work on semesters.

Also, Sal, I'm in for competitive any time, as long as my fps holds out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:40:21 pm by delphonso »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2022, 06:03:53 pm »

In any case, hopefully by tomorrow I'll have things sorted enough that we can get started.

Slight change of schedule: I got already all the embark stuff and capybara man creation sorted, but I botched one important thing regarding the retire/unretire things (that is: magma pools tend to overflow upon unretiring, and I forgot to check & remove them with region manipulator pre-embark), so I'll have to do the whole show over again. Sigh.

In any case, hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday I'll have the actual capyfort topic up and running.

Edit. Almost forgot, here's the world map as a teaser. Went for a non-standard size:

Edit2. Now's also a good time to suggest skills for the capybaras. I'm going with 10 (5 male, 5 female), so we could get 5 couples. I'll forcibly marry one couple to speed things up a tad. Also, there'll be 2 extra characters coming with the capys, so feel free to suggest species for them (preferably not dwarves). Also also, you can be dorfed even before the game begins, if you like.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7