Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread  (Read 13521 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:06 am »

When the next version of DF comes, out, I'm going to try a heavily modded succession/community fort.
Adn when I say heavily modded, I mean more heavily modded then Masterwork, CivForge, LFR, and DFFS combined. But I need help for the modding.
I'd go ask the folks over in the "DF from scratch" project.  Theirs is about as heavy a mod as you can go.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »

No, i mean like heavily modded has in normal DF but a lot more. But if I have permission and can include From Scratch, i'd like to.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:02 pm »

I'm disappointed to see nobody yet talking about The Succession World.

Essentially, we generate the world @ year 2/1/0 (basically the lowest possible) and through the power of DF2014 create elaborate stories, megaprojects and generally have fun, all of which take place not just in a single fort, but the entirety of the generated plane!
Ideally the world should be kept medium-size at best, otherwise the player sites etc. might be too far away for one to witness during his/her turn.

Faction wars, adventurer militia, hero taverns, Crimson Knight the Final Boss? These and many many more, coming soon to a Dwarf Fortress near you!
As soon as DF2014 happens, anyway. And a few weeks after that, because bugfixes.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »

Personally, I'll be re-generating the Dwarfopoly map, but starting at year 2. 
Players who:
a) Have a definite goal in mind
b) Know that greifing the other players is not only permitted but congratulated and
c) Are able to affect the world in a significantly permanent manner

Those will all be features that will make the game very nice.

I'm guessing that a "museum" game will also be created, as well as possibly the Eight Squared variant.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 06:06:14 pm »

Personally, I'll be re-generating the Dwarfopoly map, but starting at year 2. 
Players who:
a) Have a definite goal in mind
b) Know that greifing the other players is not only permitted but congratulated and
c) Are able to affect the world in a significantly permanent manner

Those will all be features that will make the game very nice.

I'm guessing that a "museum" game will also be created, as well as possibly the Eight Squared variant.

Cue locking the money in with adamantine spire, then opening it. Cue self-propelling Minecart Traps kept going by Dwarven Computing.

Post a link to the thread here once you start "Monopoly:Armok Edition". :)
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:07 pm »

Essentially, we generate the world @ year 2/1/0 (basically the lowest possible) and through the power of DF2014 create elaborate stories, megaprojects and generally have fun, all of which take place not just in a single fort, but the entirety of the generated plane!
Ideally the world should be kept medium-size at best, otherwise the player sites etc. might be too far away for one to witness during his/her turn.

Faction wars, adventurer militia, hero taverns, Crimson Knight the Final Boss? These and many many more, coming soon to a Dwarf Fortress near you!
As soon as DF2014 happens, anyway. And a few weeks after that, because bugfixes.
This is very well put.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 05:28:59 pm »

Does anyone know precisely who I should ask to get this thread stickied? 'cause I don't.

On a semi-related note, almost finished my Succession Game mod. Only things left to do are fix mounts (don't ask) add an extra position so Goblins still bring mounts after their war-leader is killed and change the graphics back to ASCII. So far, the mod contains bugfixes, re-balancing and increased FPS (I hope you don't miss varied plant or animal materials - they're now standardized for a massive fps boost) mainly, but there's some other changes. Like for example, all animal men (bar the ones in civs) are trainable now, all megabeasts reproduce in worldgen and a select few reproduce in fortress mode, and there's an Overseer noble position. All in all, I'm trying to keep it as vanilla as possible while optimizing the game for cooperative play.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 08:08:39 am »

Bump. Again, precisely how do I get this thread stickied? I lack the knowledge/competence.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 11:08:28 am »

I think that you need to PM either threetoe or Toady for a sticky, as they are the only mods of the forum currently.

Also, I have an idea for a succession fortress, based loosely off of the competetive game proposed here, possibly using the same embark if I get the OP's permission.  Basically, it would be a game starting in one of the worst possible scenarios, attempting to survive against the odds.

If and when I get around to making said game, I'll give a more thorough description.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:16 am »

Only 0-2 old world would mean no necromancers, no vampires, no werebeasts, no interesting historical figures, child meagebasts and only a few goblins to kill. That is, lame.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:16 pm »

Only 0-2 old world would mean no necromancers, no vampires, no werebeasts, no interesting historical figures, child meagebasts and only a few goblins to kill. That is, lame.

Naah.
The plan is to regen the world to get at least one necromancer tower.
And you don't need any of those to have an interesting world.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »

If you use Masterwork, you can become a vampire or a necromancer by using in-game resources.  Basically you CREATE all the towers and evil types you desire.  Possibly make bogeymen turn whatever they kill into a zombie, or even have an evil rain create zombies as well as husks or thralls.  Mod wildlife to throw up a 1:10,000 chance caste that is a mega-beast, (several sets of castes + several populations of animals = many different variations on megabeasts that can be met by adventurers and forts alike.)  With the right modifications of existing systems, we can make the basically static after-world game seem more dynamic.

Meta-rules like "a new embark in a civ must have at least one edge adjacent to a pre-existing embark or the starting town/village in that civ" would simulate the growth of the various civs in world-gen and the building of roads would just be another set of long, thin embarks.

Modding all races to produce cities, roads and the like (like humans) would make them create markets, keeps, dungeons and such, even from year 1.  I've seen it enough in Legends mode being all built in "1".

All wars and the battles within them would be fought between the various playable civs with the other (static) races taking the brunt of the action, but using DFHack's "tweak makeown" in adventurer mode (or with "embark everywhere", in fortress mode), you could "draft" those of different races into your civ - basically you'd be conquering their villages and towns.  Suddenly multi-racial civs become a viable option (especially if you mod dwarves castes to throw in "half-dwarves" that get some of the stats/descriptions of the other races too).  Yay for ethnic diversity and half-kobold adventurers really good at sneaking!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 12:29:22 am »

If you use Masterwork, you can become a vampire or a necromancer by using in-game resources.
We've already agreed to run it unmodded, we're not just going to take Toady's work the day he releases it and say "I'd rather play this with Masterwork."
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 02:24:05 am »

I wasn't talking about when new version comes out, a game genned RIGHT NOW can be somewhat dynamic using the above mentioned processes. This wasn't the "succe3ssion world" thread, so I figured I'd opine about how to set one up using the version we have vs the one we hope to have this year.  If it takes another year or five for toady to say "good enough for a new release", I say, "Yahoo brother! Go to it!"  It never goes right when you rush a sculptor.  It'll happen when it does and not before.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:27:33 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sheaim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 12:23:17 pm »

When it comes to releasing DF Toady is much like Blizzard with their games: "It'll be released when it's ready, will be ready when it's done, will be done when I say so".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7