Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving built walls  (Read 5416 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Engraving built walls
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:52 am »

I know that it's impossible to engrave built walls, at least in vanilla. Is there any way to mod the raws to allow this or is it hard-coded?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving built walls
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:05 am »

I think it's hardcoded.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:57:32 am »

Someone could probably write a dfhack plugin which turned all constructed walls into natural stone smooth walls so you can then /engrave them.

I may have a go at it sometime, but I have no idea when I will have time to try this out. I imagine between the existing plugins all the code needed is there, it is just a case of putting it all together.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for.... sorry :(

Best you can do for now is cheat with dfhack and use:
tiletypes
tiletypes>Paint material stone
tiletypes>paint special smooth
tiletypes>paint shape wall

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »

If you want engraved walls where natural walls do not exist, you do have the option of flooding the area with magma and dropping water on top to make obsidian walls, which can be engraved.

Let's say the reason you want to engrave built walls is to improve the value of a room. I don't know, I'm guessing here. If that's the case, go with windows instead of walls. They are made with quality and can be bedazzled with gems and ivory and such to add to their already substantial value. Plus you can define a room to include windows and the engraved floor they sit upon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:29:05 pm »

Another option you can do is to smooth and engrave ice walls.  Then you can dig them out, pour more water, get a new ice wall and repeat as much as you want, in the same spot/area.  (just verified this still works)

Naturally, you need a freezing embark surface.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »

Wasn't there a DFHack command to either convert or create tiles? If so, convert them to natural stone and then smooth/engrave.
Feeling down? Click Here!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »

Dfhack's "liquids" command can spawn obsidian walls and floors, in addition to water and magma. You can spawn an entire, huge, monolithic cube of obsidian wall tiles with this set of commands

liquids
o
range 100 100 100
(enter on blank line)

That will spawn a 100x100x100 cube of obsidian wall tiles anchored at the current look cursor position. If you want to change the mineral type after that, use changevein, IIRC.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »

Dfhack's "liquids" command can spawn obsidian walls and floors, in addition to water and magma. You can spawn an entire, huge, monolithic cube of obsidian wall tiles with this set of commands

Cool, I might use this.  I remember a thread a long time ago that discussed the fps impact of constructed buildings and walls.  I had always was assumed it to be zero, but someone was able to demonstrate a noticeable difference between constructed walls and carved out ones.  I forgot how many total constructions it took to see the effect.  I've got tons of massive walls blocking the map edges of the caverns, so I'm starting to wonder if I'm reaching that point.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 06:38:20 am »

Cool, I might use this.  I remember a thread a long time ago that discussed the fps impact of constructed buildings and walls.  I had always was assumed it to be zero, but someone was able to demonstrate a noticeable difference between constructed walls and carved out ones.  I forgot how many total constructions it took to see the effect.  I've got tons of massive walls blocking the map edges of the caverns, so I'm starting to wonder if I'm reaching that point.

I didn't think you could build walls near the edges? Personally I usually use raised bridges.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:56:19 am »

You can build walls right up against the edge in the caverns and below.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:34 am »

You can build walls right up against the edge in the caverns and below. underground.

Fixed. Outside of caverns, you cannot build walls directly on the edge(x), but you can build them right next to the edge.

On the surface, you can build floors and bridges on the edge tiles, and you can channel and remove slopes next to the edge (slopes on the edge cannot be removed but made unusable by flooring them over).

(x) that's because the edge itself won't be open floor/space underground outside of the caverns, and you can't mine the edge.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:01 am »

No.
But...masterwork gold mechanism=instant royal quality.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"