Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Torn Planet - Prologue  (Read 27217 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torn Planet - Prologue
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 03:16:04 am »

left ear
((We were told right ear, thats why I attached it to my left))

((Funny thing is, I actually realised that when I read it... I managed to typo somehow. :-[ Guess I was sleepy. Thanks!))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 04:23:53 am »

This is going to tear me from my whole previous life and throw into abyss of obscurity.
Sure thing I'm in!

Put on my longcoat, attach feather to my fedora and take a walk through the underwater streets and squares, making sure my personal
Mauzer C96 is at my side (holster fixed under left arm). Also, throw a coin up continiously while walking.

((I do hope that weapon-wielding is allowed and justified enough by my backstory. Otherwise, disregard the part about it.))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 03:35:18 pm »

Placing the feather on his right ear and the coin into his pocket Corran shrugged into a black jacket and put on his sun glasses before leaving for work and muttered quietly to himself.

" Another damned plot, why can't I just have a quiet day. Oh right, because I'm a glorified hall monitor for a bunch of computer nerds. "

Smacking himself on the forehead as he walked he whistled tunelessly to himself.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 07:39:30 pm »

((I'M LATE!))

Name: Defias Truman
Origin: He is the the keeper of "the Archive", an airship that carries a library filled with books from the old world. All of the other librarians either went missing or died, leaving Defias as the one left to take care of it.
Appearance: He is young, 5'8", and has trimmed blonde hair. He wears augmented-reality goggles which function as both glasses (for his nearsightedness) and as an interface with the library. His legs are strong from carrying books and walking all over the library to maintain what he can. He rarely works out, however, and his other muscles are weak.
Background: Defias was born on the library. Although he does not know about the library's origins, nor why it was originally created, Defias is enthusiastic about the old world and spends almost all of his time reading and preserving the books. He is extremely knowledgeable and understands how to control drones, which he uses to repair the library and keep it from falling into further disrepair.
Education: A librarian. He hasn't read all of the books, but he knows a lot about almost every subject other than the great war itself, and specializes in drone programming and control.

Waitlist me or...

Hmm, I wonder where he's going with this. It's not like I can leave the archive, there are no towers in sight!

Do as the letter says and then go about my daily tasks like usual.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 07:40:57 pm »

Character ready! I'm sorry I'm late!

Aneita sat on the balcony overlooking the clouds below as she read the letter. She shrugged, having nothing better to do, so she placed the feather in the space between her right ear and her head, and pocketed the coin.

I really hope this isn't another one of those con artists, Aneita thought to herself.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:23 pm »

Spoiler: Aneita Metter (click to show/hide)

There could be birds, but they'd probably have been released from other towers rather than natural. Their presence would indicate the presence of a nearby tower. Of course, this long after the war people tend to forget.

Skylander weapons generally require large capacitors, making handguns slightly difficult to produce. However, I can imagine some kind of handheld weapon that converts mechanical energy into potential energy and releases it via a series of magnets that are displaced from ground state when the weapon is loaded. It would function like a handheld crossbow but look like a regular pistol, albeit with a thick grip on the slide (if not a handle), and launch fin-stabilized darts. Is this alright?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:59:33 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

mentallama

• Bay Watcher
  • I need a bigger weapon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »

Tallis looks at the small coin flipping it over and over in her fingers weighing her choices, leave the only life she's ever known at the word of some unknown man, or stick with what she's doing and possibly lose everything.
"Hell what do I do?"
She stares at one side and flips it.
"Lets see how lucky I am today."
It lands and she looks at the face up side.
"Damn, not my day."
Tallis puts the feather behind her right ear.
War is not about who is right but who is left.
-unknown

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:09 pm »

(Note that there is no set-in-stone rolling structure for now. I'll quote posts and roll in order to advance the plot, but you can freely talk to other characters and make actions in your posts. I'll roll when necessary.)

(Also you can pick a text color if you want your speech to be more easily identified. If you pick a light color like yellow please put a black glow around it.)

Sorry. Kyle says 'aight' and does as the letter says after saying good bye to his friends and family.

One of your brothers is shocked at your sudden departure. He had been planning to learn chipmaking with your help, but he makes no effort to stop you.
Your parents merely say "Goodbye" and go back to their business. Not even a hug, kiss, or parting phrase.

You do as instructed in the letter and walk out of your small home at the edge of the dome, near the docking bay. You expect the Gentleman to be waiting for you at the sub docks, so you start walking when, already, a cloaked figure appears behind you out of nowhere. Before you turn to face him, he speaks into your ear.
"So, you've made the decision?"

((Fine. Then I just say "Very well." aloud.))

You shout your response aloud, expecting your potential stalkers to come out of hiding. After hearing no movement in the building for a full minute, you put on a gas mask, step outside on your balcony, and shout again. You receive no audible response, and observe only the endless sea of clouds, the sun high in the sky, and hundreds of pipes, air intakes, and solar arrays sticking out of the tower's walls. Just as you return inside, you hear cloth rustling in the wind on the ledge above you. Eyeing your ladder, you consider checking to see if someone dropped a piece of clothing or a flag and it had gotten caught on something important.

I am no serving dog, ready to bow at the whim of some stupid Cur. If this man wants me he can come for me himself.
Snap the feather in half and attach it to my left ear.

You place the broken feather behind your ear. As soon as you do this, you hear rumbling down the hallway to your residence. At the same time, someone flips open the utility hatch on your ceiling and climbs down your ladder. As the agents in the hall open your front door and surround you, one of them tips his hat and greets you.

"Pardon the introduction, Mr. Beamhand, but we've important things to discuss. The Gentleman has an obligation to his other guests, and has no time to come here himself. Should you wish to do so, you may settle things at his residence."

"Hm. Cloak and dagger. I see."
Nathom allows himself a small smile at the seal, a smile which only grows as he reads the letter. Finally, he sits back in his chair.
'Interesting indeed. I would like to think that this mysterious person, the sender, has the acquisition of knowledge in mind, and not just material gain. Only one way to find out, however, and this is too tempting a possibility to pass up.'

Nathom, unable to withstand the lure of knowledge, attaches the feather to his right ear as instructed.
He spends the next while in a state of nervous excitement, wondering just what the sender's plan is. He also goes over his records, as scant as they are, reading up on various stories of old-world spies and agents, as well as pondering- and investigating- just where the letter came from, and how it was delivered to him.

You found the letter at the entrance to your quarters, taped to the handwheel in a roll. Someone had to have broken in to put the letter there. However, there were no signs of tampering on the door, and that door was the only way to enter your residence. Perhaps this "gentleman" has master spies operating for him--this only furthers your excitement, and your fears.

You do as the letter instructs you and walk out into the hallway. Alone, you walk along the edge of a platform overlooking them multiple-level apartment complex which had been retrofitted inside the UES Titania while it was being converted into a city. At the edge of a chamber, you call the elevator to get to the ground floor.

The elevator doors slide open, revealing three men in top hats and trench coats.
"Greetings."
"We've been expecting you."
"Would you come with us?"

"Is there any reason I should help you? Like a reward or something? I'm not going anywhere until I know what's happening. And I've got an army behind me, an army of hardened fighters ready to fight on my command. So The Gentleman. Come to here, and we will discuss the terms. I'm not going with your agents anywhere."

You wait to see if the agents were still there and listening. After waiting a few minutes, you repeat what you said, but nothing happens.

This is going to tear me from my whole previous life and throw into abyss of obscurity.
Sure thing I'm in!

Put on my longcoat, attach feather to my fedora and take a walk through the underwater streets and squares, making sure my personal
Mauzer C96 is at my side (holster fixed under left arm). Also, throw a coin up continiously while walking.

You inspect your pistol to make sure it's ready in case something goes wrong. Then, you go on a walk through the streets of Rapture, still bustling with excitement even though it is no longer the first, nor the largest underwater city. You walk past some tourists watching a shrimp on the sea floor through the windows and go to one of the tram stations, where you feel there might be Gentleman Agents.

You spot a group of four men with top hats talking to each other while waiting for their ride. One of them glances at you while you toss the coin up and down before going back into his conversation.

(Question, are you tossing the coin up and down, or just a random coin?)

Placing the feather on his right ear and the coin into his pocket Corran shrugged into a black jacket and put on his sun glasses before leaving for work and muttered quietly to himself.

" Another damned plot, why can't I just have a quiet day. Oh right, because I'm a glorified hall monitor for a bunch of computer nerds. "

Smacking himself on the forehead as he walked he whistled tunelessly to himself.

You make it safely to work, checking in with your card before immediately hearing a voice coming through the broadcast speakers.
"Chief of Security Corran Bekter, please report to Steve Willis' office, floor 18."
That's your boss. Grumbling, you make your way there and stop at the door, noticing something unusual. First of all, it's closed, which is abnormal for your boss, who rarely shuts his door, and second of all, the door is locked. There has to be something going on.

Hmm, I wonder where he's going with this. It's not like I can leave the archive, there are no towers in sight!

Do as the letter says and then go about my daily tasks like usual.

You go about your daily tasks as usual after doing what the letter says.

Suddenly, without warning, the library makes a hard turn (or at least, harder than usual.). A few books fall from their cases and land open on the floor. You take cover inside a bathroom to avoid falling objects as the ship stabilizes.

Character ready! I'm sorry I'm late!

Aneita sat on the balcony overlooking the clouds below as she read the letter. She shrugged, having nothing better to do, so she placed the feather in the space between her right ear and her head, and pocketed the coin.

I really hope this isn't another one of those con artists, Aneita thought to herself.

[4: Alertness Check Passed]
You hear someone running up behind you from around a corner. It is an elderly man, wearing a black cloak flaring out in the wind, and a top hat which he takes off as he greets you in a thick accent you've never heard before.
"Greetings, ma'am. I regret to inform you that things are not going as planned. We must find a way to travel, and for that, we must commandeer a vehicle. You may follow me."

Tallis looks at the small coin flipping it over and over in her fingers weighing her choices, leave the only life she's ever known at the word of some unknown man, or stick with what she's doing and possibly lose everything.
"Hell what do I do?"
She stares at one side and flips it.
"Lets see how lucky I am today."
It lands and she looks at the face up side.
"Damn, not my day."
Tallis puts the feather behind her right ear.

Your bridge's console lights up. It's not lit red, as it would be if there was an emergency, but it is very unusual for it to do that.
The screen reads:
We see you are interested. Please plot a course for the city marked on your map.
You turn around and check the circular planning board. There is a new location marked on the map which you haven't done yourself, and it is pulsing as if you had highlighted it on the touch screen. It's labelled: "Rapture"--it's a city you've heard rumors about, some saying it was just a fictional place in some video game, others saying it was real and that it was a place where great minds collaborated to build a utopia.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:07:52 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:24 pm »

Kyle turns around quickly.
"Yeah, I've made the desicion. I do hope that you do not greet everyone like that."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 10:04:04 pm »

PTW

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:07 pm »

Kyle turns around quickly.
"Yeah, I've made the desicion. I do hope that you do not greet everyone like that."

The stranger backs away, and engages in a more natural conversation with you.
"I am merely a messenger. An agent, if you will. And if my way of greeting disappoints you, rest assured we are a brotherhood of many faces."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:37 pm »

"It's not that, I just don't let any man that near my rear if I don't ask him 'ta lube up first. I'm perfectly fine with you doing your job so long as you do that."

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:40 pm »

(That was supposed to be a letter by the way)

Relax

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:20 pm »

"It's not that, I just don't let any man that near my rear if I don't ask him 'ta lube up first. I'm perfectly fine with you doing your job so long as you do that."

"I... err, beg your pardon?"
His face turns into one of severe disapproval.
"Funny... well then."
The stranger takes out a pocket watch. He unfolds it into, presumably, some sort of communication device, holding it to his ear and speaking softly into it.
"He seems interested. Would you prepare a seat for our guest?"
Closing the watch, the stranger turns back to you.
"We should meet at Willy's Deep Sea Tours. Here is a card. Our transport will be here when the clock strikes five. That is when we leave."

(The current time in city is 4:41 PM)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:12 pm »

Kyle nods before walking off to pack a bag of clothes and also leave a note to his brother recommending someone to teach him in his stead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21