Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: UnholinessSparked - Let's Play Orc Fortress (rebalanced)  (Read 12938 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UnholinessSparked - Let's Play Orc Fortress (rebalanced)
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:47:23 am »

Ours is the story of many of the great tribes. The legends tell of inspired leaders, striking their own in the wilderness, building their fledging clan to glory and conquest. The legends tell of heroic acts and great deeds, or bravery and cunning. But I know that many of the great clans started because of fractured tribes, regrouping after the great enemies beset them with steel and cannon. There is much honour in the old ways, but I fear that the glory of the orcish crafters—leather and ironbone, obsidian and raw strength—has met its match against the industry of the dwarves and humans. We fight to bring glory to those who have fought before us, but the humans and dwarves do not fight for honour; they clad themselves in metals that were not from glory in combat, and while it shames them to do so, I cannot argue its effectiveness.

I know all this, and I know that many—nay, most—of those who head into the wilderness are never heard of again. They achieve glory and honour in fighting the elements and the great foes, but all that remains of them now is a shattered spear or rusted arrow-head amongst a circle of stones.

But I speak none of this to the others. Despite our homelands being shattered, they are eager and believe they will be the stuff of legends. I look across the barren wilderness and our meagre supplies, and I hope that they are right.

Ours is a band of misfits. No families, no homes, and nothing to lose. There's Vyctryx, an impressive olog, rarely seen, and twice the size of any other in our band; pure muscle and strength, she is the most fearsome thing I've ever seen. In our journey through the wilderness we raided a village for supplies, and she flattened the helm—and the head—of a human warrior with a single strike of her maul. She has appointed herself as warchief, and none dare argue with her decision.

CptCrunchy and Mahrgell are proficient bow-snagas, quick on their feet, and quick with their wits. Once upon a time some tribes regarded snaga poorly, but all of those tribes have since fallen from their beliefs. While not as fearsome with an axe, most snaga seem to have an agility that still makes them deadly foes. Alas, they seem to suffer from the mental affliction that plagues bow-orcs everywhere; I know not why archers choose to forget their arrows, and I know it's not ours. I've walked the dreams of the leaders of the dwarves, and seen their frustration as crossbow-dwarves use their weapon as if it were a mere club. Mahrgell has proven to be handy with a pick, and CptCrunchy with a pen, or so he claims.

Theog is a fine orc. Skilled with a spear, brave in battle. I believe he will go far. We have need of a carpenter, and while none of us have any experience in those ways, Theog has stepped up to that role admirably.

Tarkuul is our tribal crafter. Knowledgeable in the old ways, I've been impressed by her work. Theog and Vyctryx are clad in her lamellar armour, and Theog wields an obsidian spear of Tarkuul's design. She does not have the same lust for glory in combat as others; or maybe she does, and she brings that about through the weapons and armour she creates.

SageEthereal is another dreamwalker, we found her wandering the wilderness, like the rest of our band. She is skilled in the ways of healing, and I am delighted by her company and conversation.

Our new home is secluded. Cold, forested, it reminds many of our number of home, whatever homes we had. We have some basic weapons, some leather and tools, some food and drink, but not much. Despite it being spring, the snow is still thick on the ground, and the river is frozen. In summer it may thaw, and we may go raiding upon it, but for now it provides us nothing, not even fish or fresh water. But these lands are rich in game; ones worthy of a hunt, there are signs of great beasts here, larger even than Vyctryx and her giant maul.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We strike camp at a bend in the river, and as we strike flint to steel for a fire, a star shoots across the sky. I know from my dreams that our destiny is close, and the heavens have given us a sign. The others feel it too. We set about digging a space underground to protect us from the elements, and we discuss The Circle and its design:

While the design varies from clan to clan, The Circle has always been the way of the taiga orcs. Each orc has their own hollow, and as new clansmembers arive or are born, the circle is expanded to accommodate them. The hollows are not just a place to live, but a place to demonstrate skill and worthiness. Every clansmember has a workshop, their own accommodations, and their own trophies, where they display the greatest of their accomplishments. When their day of glory arrives, a celebration is held for their ascent to the Fields of Battle, and their remains are interned amongst their trophies and masterpieces, and sealed for good. The greatest of clans have many rings of great warriors who have ascended, and the surface of such circles have the greatest of shrines.

We dig the first layers of The Circle, but we also sink a shaft to see what may lie below. The stars have indeed shown favour upon us:

Obsidian! The cooled blood of the earth! The greatest of warriors have caskets made of this black glass, and it has long been crafted into the sharpest of claws and macuahuitl. But that's not the only discovery that awaits underground. We breech a cavern complex not far underground. It has fresh water, and a great deal of mineral wealth:

Above ground, CptCrunchy shows the bravery of the clan. While felling a tree, he is set upon by a monstrous cat. The size of a giant, but CptCrunchy shows no fear, and wounds it, but not without his own injuries. It is a great honour for him to have his blood spilled in combat upon the grounds of our new home.

Theog hears the sound of battle, and is quickly upon the scene, disabling the beast quickly with his spearorcship:

There are more of the enormous cats in the woods, and even though they tower over her in size, Vyctryx quickly proves her worth, slaying two of them:

The skulls of these beasts are incredible; Theog tells me that even while unconscious, the spirit of his beast clung to its body despite dozens of strikes to the skull. It was only when Vyctryx crushed it with terribly force did it eventually die:

This is a great day for us, the giant cats shall provide us with meat for many months to come, and their remains shall continue to be honoured as they are fashioned into much needed armour and decorations. Their skulls shall be fine trophies indeed for CptCrunchy, Theog, and Vyctryx.

Orcish thoughts and personalities

Mahgell

Theog

CptCrunchy

Vyctryx

Tarkuul

Tarrlox (McTeellox's Orcish name)

Sage Ethereal

UnholinessSparked is a thematic embark based upon the Orc Fortress (rebalanced) beta.

For a list of orcs, links to story posts, and more, check out the UnholinessSparked wiki page
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:42:29 am by Urist McTeellox »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: UnholinessSparked - Let's Play Orc Fortress (rebalanced)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:34:55 am »

I enjoy your writing style for this.  I would like to join this orc tribe.  I will gladly take any honorable position in the circle.  But if the option is available I would like to be the one to train and care for the great warbeasts of our tribe.  No orc should have to go into battle without an expertly trained creature biting at the throats of our enemies.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:48:44 am »

Dwarf me as the dwarven General. I will bring my golems down upon you, batter down your gates with steel and wolfram and raze your camp to the ground.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 06:05:37 am »

I enjoy your writing style for this.  I would like to join this orc tribe.  I will gladly take any honorable position in the circle.  But if the option is available I would like to be the one to train and care for the great warbeasts of our tribe.  No orc should have to go into battle without an expertly trained creature biting at the throats of our enemies.

You're on the list! It may be a little while before we have access to warbeasts, but I'm hoping some may come with the autumn caravan.

Quote from: Meph
Dwarf me as the dwarven General. I will bring my golems down upon you, batter down your gates with steel and wolfram and raze your camp to the ground.

This is perfect! Done!  :)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:53:12 am »

Spring has come, although the river hasn't thawed yet. CptCrunchy is up and about again, with some cool scars. We've just stroke haematite, and we're in the process of manufacturing everything out of bone. Priorities for spring is getting everyone into armour (even if it's just simple leather), everyone with a weapon, and a dock established so we can make use of the scant months of trading/raiding while the weather holds. Oh, and the lynx skulls have been mounted in the appropriate trophy rooms. :)

Our archers will probably get some hand-to-hand weapons for now, until we have some proper archery towers set up. It sure would be grand if DF archery didn't require quite so much micromanagement.

~ T

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:20 am »

Can you orc me as a shoota for the military?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:54:15 am »

19th Limestone, 101 (early autumn)

"Sir, there are merchants here to see you. They say they've heard of us through the freelancers."

"Thank you, Jaxy," said Tarrlox, looking up from a tuskox skull he was decorating. "Please help coordinate moving our goods to the depot. I'll be out once I've finished this project."

Later that week...

"Sir, the merchants have finished unpacking, and are geting restless. They're wondering if you'd like to trade?"

"Of course, Talth, but I don't remember the last time I took a break.  Tell them I'll be along shortly."

The next week...

"Scrawny dreamwalker! Why you no trade?"

"Oh, Vyctryx! I was just having a drink. Would you like some?"

"Uh... Okay!"

The next month...

"Sir, the traders..."
"Are leaving. Yes, Gief, I know."
"But... are you mad? Have you looked at our supplies recently?"
"Yes, Gief, I have. We having nothing to trade with."
"But we do! Tarkuul just finished another set of wargear, and some of us have been making bone journals, decorated with bone! They're great for sticking in your ear..."
"A fashion trend I still do not appreciate. Tell the hill orc traders that we appreciate their visit, but we consider it a matter of honour to trade first with our own kind. They will understand."
"And the warlock traders?"
"Tell them whatever you think will make them leave. I've seen much in my dreams, but I only see warlocks in my nightmares..."

New orcs:

Talth

Jaxy

Gief

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

lmao I was going to ask for an orc but I assume I already did before you started the Let's Play proper.

If possible could you rename my orc to Talthra for a female, and as far as being a soldier goes I'd prefer Spearorc please.
I have a feeling this is going to be a blast to be a part of, I love the idea of the Orcish Circle as well. May have to incorporate that into my next Orc Camp.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:38:46 pm by MuDD »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »

I wanna be the general of an enemy nation like Meph too please. :D

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »

I am simultaneously proud that I was the first into combat, and unsurprised that I was instantly wounded.  At least I got some badass scars to show off to all the lady snaga, that was my least favorite toe anyway
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »

Uh, i doubt the lady snagas will have time to look at you, there is a Snaga with sharp intellect who is also doing awesome with emotions. Even tough it is tough with a harem full, sometimes

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:36:09 pm »

That's a nice fortress. I like the layout of rooms inside. So round! :) And your writing style is very pleasant as well, like it was mentioned already. I'd like to see more screenshots of the buildings.

I'd like to be orced as 'GnarFengYur'. Some military, please.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:34 pm »

Next update will go up tonight. There'll be a closer look at how the fort is currently constructed, and along with some fun developments.

Everyone's who asked for an orc will get one, although I think I'm still waiting for a Corsair to arrive for Mosey. :)

If you've got a named orc, then feel free to let me know what's your preferred craft. Tribe traditions have all orcs being able to fight (everyone is assigned a weapon and armour, and all at the very least do individual combat training), but also that all orcs have a craft. Leatherworking and bonecrafting are most common, but any honourable skill is fine. All orcs get a workshop in their private quarters, which is profiled so only they can use it. (Although in some cases it's not strictly a workshop; 神風1231 will have an animal training area, for example.)

Likewise, if you've got a preferred weapon, let me know, and I'll try to match it.

I've also put a stub of a wiki on-line. You should feel free to edit it however you like, including backstories for your own orcs. I'll probably use it to keep track of who has which orc, and also to provide an index of story posts, because it's way easier for me to update than editing forum posts. Right now there's not much there because I've got this whole job thing I'm supposed to be doing. ;)

Also, I don't know if anyone is interested in saves, but it's pretty easy for me to make them available if you are. :)

~ T

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:44:41 am »

8th Sandstone, 101 (mid-autumn)

"Clanleader, I don't think the warlocks took kindly to you refusing to trade."
"Whatever makes you think that?"
"Sir, the world is on fire..."

Sure enough, there is the unmistakeable smell of smoke. Dropping my meal, I ran upstairs to see what madness had befallen us. The camp was in ashes, and with it most of our supplies. Our stocks of food, our woodpile, our leather, our newly completed dock, almost everything was gone. In the still glowing embers of the trade depot I could what I fear are the charred remains of all the hill orc merchants; a glowing amulet atop a heap of ash is all that remains of one of the warlocks.  The frozen river had stopped the spread of fire to the west, but to the east the fire front continued to progress. Yet somehow the trees remain, even though the snow-covered grass did not. The insanity of the warlocks leak from their minds, and twists reality itself to be the madness of my most fevered dreams.

One of the accursed warlocks steps past me. Their face is covered by a dark cowl, and a voice with a chill from beyond the grave speaks to me:

"You had a bear snooping around, probably looking for food. We fixed that for you."

I'm enraged by this senseless destruction, but I allow the merchants to depart. To bring the wrath of the warlocks upon our head would surely mean death. I do not look forward to when I have to explain to the hill-orcs what happened to their clansfolk. There is no honour in this madness.

I walk about what remains of our camp. Our homes are safe, being below ground, none of our clan were harmed, and there are still wild plants across the river upon which we may subsist. Some of the more durable remains of the orcish caravan have survived the fire, although much is ash, and there are pools of lead upon the ground. The flames must have been intense. Theog reports that there were indeed bears; our hunters had slain two across the river, and remarkably, a large caged crab has survived the fire. So at least we will have food for tonight.

There is no doubt that the plume of smoke can be seen for miles around. This is confirmed with the arrival of seven taiga orcs—much like ourselves—searching the wilderness in hopes of shelter and glory. They have a dreamwalker as their guide, an uruk as their warchief, and a collection of orcs and snagas amidst their numbers. I am to meet with their leader later today; it sounds as if they may be willing to help us rebuild. I am worried that our foes may also be drawn to us before we are ready, now that our location is so clearly marked. We must remain vigilant over the coming months.

Despite our losses, spirits in the camp remain high. Before the docks were lost, we managed to trade a great deal of lynx-thread sailcloth for a fine steel scimitar. Our elite squad, The Incestuous Fires, repelled a band of ogres that were menacing in the woods, and CptCrunchy—leading The Hairy Poisons—reports to me that strict instructions have been given on the importance of bringing quivers. Their bowshots are impressive indeed; they seemed to predict both the wind and their prey's movements, and many arrows hit their marks.

The ogres are mighty foes, and despite what seemed like dozens of strikes and a fractured skull, the spirit of the one we downed refused to leave its body. We respected its fierce will to live, and formed a guard of honour just out of sight amongst the trees. When it finally awoke, we did not prevent its leaving with the others of its tribe. It is glorious to share the wilds with one so worthy.

Underground we found a vein of haematite. While disappointingly short, it has provided valuable iron. While I know most would prefer to honour their heritage with hardened leather and obsidian, I fear we must work with common metals for defence now that our location is so obviously known.

But now it is a time to meet with our guests, and assess what our common strengths may be. Who knows, we may be surprised by what is forged from these flames of madness...

Other news and screenshots:

Sage likes her weapon:

Molten lead in the building inventory; sign that !!fun!! is about to start:

The start of the fire, back when we still had stockpiles to speak of:

A view of The Circle from underground. Rung three is almost complete, giving us housing for 20 orcs. I don't like all the moss which is growing, although this will be less of a problem once workshops and personal stockpiles are in place:

And finally, the wiki is now has hotlinks for everyone's orcs. If you wish to fill in a backstory, please do so! :)  If you wish to be an orc, you may also add yourself to the waiting list there. (Or request here, if you like.)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 04:20:32 am »

Warlocks dont do fires anymore, it looks like a traders brought molten lead in the first place. Or did you specifically find something in the combat log that said: "Y throws a fireball at bears" ?

It was warlocks and orc (non-taiga-orc) traders, correct?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3 4