Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54

Author Topic: Uskarian Adventures : It's dead, Jim.  (Read 79081 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uskarian Adventures : Shoveling evil out of the way
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:14 pm »

"Yay!" Tomo pumps her fist triumphantly and cheers as the two break into the previously hidden chamber- she didn't know why they were doing what they were doing, but it worked, and that's what mattered!

"Dark." She comments idly as she waits for Moskar to return with the torch, shovel still held at the ready.

Stand guard, then follow Moskar into the chamber.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

Sign 'Seanna' and wait for the others to do whatever. Pocket my gold though.
You grab the pen and sign your name on the paper. The man behind the desk hands you a pouch of gold pieces.

Egen quickly glances over the document for anything suspicious before signing.
You take a good look at the document. It all seems rather standard, 'services rendered' 'employer' and such are all there. At the top it is stamped with the seal of the church of Solaris. At the bottom there are is some small print though. You squint your eyes and take a closer look. "These services rendered to the church of Solaris, our god in the heavens and keeper of justice, though admirable, do not entitle you to any sort of His divine intervention." You suppose that's only fair, so you sign your name and pocket your gold.

Inform priest of other people who took part in the quest.

"Also, do you accept monetary donations?"
You explain that there were two other people with you at the time. The desk-monk sighs and produces another sheet of paper, quickly writing down your descriptions of them. "We'll have their payments ready when they get here. The church of Solaris, our protector and lord above, does indeed accept donations. Please go to the shrine at the back of the building, you can't miss it. "

You pocket your gold and go to the back of the building. You pass through a stone archway and enter the shrine of Solaris. It's....not exacly what you expected. There's no grand statue or ornate slab of stone. Instead there seems to be a well, light shining out of it. Peering slightly over the top, you see that well is not filled with water, is would be expected, but is rather filled with fire. Lots of fire. You need to quickly jerk your head back because the heat starts to singe your eyebrows.

>Go grab a torch from elsewhere in the crypt, toss it through the hole.
>Ready my cleaver should anything inside react to the light.
>If nothing inside moves, look through, and if it appears safe climb through and see what's inside.
Stand guard, then follow Moskar into the chamber.

Moskar gets one of the torches from the wall in the large crypt and comes back to the hole. He readies his cleaver, Tomo standing behind him, and throws the torch into the chamber. They aregreeted by the shape of a warrior in full platemail his sword held before him and wings sprouting from his back. Our two adventurers take a step back and take a fighting stance, only to relax a moment later, realising that it is only a statue. Moskar sticks his head carefully thorugh the hole and, after seeing that there is no living thing or glowing magical oddity in the room, he and Tomo step into the room.

The room has the aformentioned statue, standing in front of an white marble coffin. The coffin is inlaid with golden letters all around. Tomo circles the the coffin, reciting what is written there. "Here lies Sir Artor the Tenacius. Champion of countless battles, Hero of Great Plains, defender of the lost and weak. Poisoned by assassins during his visit to the citadel, he killed three of the assassins with nought but his drinking tankard before succumbing to the poison. May his rest be peaceful, and may any who dare disturb him be struck down by the gods themselves." When Tomo gets to the other side of the coffin, the one not seen from the hole you both came in through, she makes a rather grisly discovery. A corpse, sagged against the wall. The corpse must be rather old, as there isn't much more left than bones and dried skin. It seems it was graverobber, looking for some easy loot. The corpse does not bear any marks of weapon wounds, but the hands seem to be simply gone, and the face is completely devoid of skin. The skull is quite the horrid sight, as if the bone has simply melted.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »

"Ah! Er... hm... ooh! Aha!"

Donate ten gold coins to the shrine! After figuring out how to do so, naturally. Drop one in the well for experimentation, see if it feels right and proper. If that works out, drop the other nine in there as well.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2014, 08:01:53 pm »

"--Sir... Are-tore... the... ten-a-shus..." ...Man, why did reading this language have to be so hard? Tomo had done waaaay more reading today than she was used to; if she could feel pain, it'd be making her head hurt, and she was relieved when she got to the end of the engraving.

Naturally, this relief vanished instantly when she saw the melted corpse and connected the two. "Tomo does not think messing with this thing is a good idea..." she says uncertainly, backing up a couple steps.

Suddenly, Tomo stops and re-approaches the corpse, an odd look on her face. Uncharacteristically, she'd had a brilliant idea, the magic burned into her mind prodding suggestively at mushy, underused parts of her brain. She takes a low posture, as if straddling a horse, whips her arms out in front of her, and starts waggling her fingers at the body. "Abloogity woo... Spookity boo!"

Do the ghosty thing!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:59:12 am by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2014, 01:36:05 am »

Follow... whoever.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:34 am »

Moskar gives a soft grunt of approval as he stands before the statue, peering boldly up into the stone face.
"Thiss is a more worthy tomb for a warrior," he murmurs to himself, nodding slowly as he looks about the chamber, "And a fine sarcophagus indeed."
'Perhaps those wretched souls buried outside were merely his slaves or servants? That would make far more sense.' The lizardman looks down as he ponders this, squinting his reptilian eyes at the golden glyphs on the coffin. He is not overly fluent with the written language of the humans in this land, but nonetheless he will try to read it. He doesn't touch it, of course- being from the Desert, he has quite a bit of knowledge of the curses placed to guard tombs.

His concentration is interrupted for a moment as his companion starts babbling on about something.
He glances sharply over at Tomo, somewhat alarmed, and watches in puzzlement for a moment as the strange human seemingly... performs some sort of ritual over the dead tomb-robber? Eventually he just shakes his head in bemusement, growls softly, and goes back to trying to read.

>See if I can read the letters on the coffin.
Whether I can or not, do not disturb the coffin or the statue- Moskar's from a desert, man- tomb-robbing generally ends badly.

>Keep half an eye on whatever my mouldering companion is up to.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:40 am »

Egen... goes looking for a bookstore or something to pass the time.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2014, 04:38:51 pm »

"Ah! Er... hm... ooh! Aha!"

Donate ten gold coins to the shrine! After figuring out how to do so, naturally. Drop one in the well for experimentation, see if it feels right and proper. If that works out, drop the other nine in there as well.
You take 10 coins and carefully step up to the well. You sort of toss one into the fire and look to see what happens. The coin vanishes in the flames and the fire gets a burt of energy, flames shooting higher and brighter than before for a moment. At that moment a man also enters the room. He is wearing a blacksmiths apron and is holding a finely crafted dagger. "You don't have to hold back, you know, the fire can take pretty much anything you offer to it." And he throws the dagger into the fire, giving the same result as your coin, only amplified several times. As the man leaves the room, you throw in your remaining 9 coins. The fire blazes satisfyingly high and intense now, the heat makes you sweat, even if the fire is way down the well.

Do the ghosty thing!
You make silly gyrating movements and focus on the corpse. [7] It takes you a while, but suddenly a transparent figure of a man materializes in front of you.

"What the? Where am I?"

He looks around for a moment, then looks at you.

"All right, seriously, why did you have to bring me back here? This place wasn't exactly my finest moment, you know"

Follow... whoever.
Deciding that thinking for yourself is terribly boring, you decide to follow the first person you see. This happens to be Egen, who is standing right next to you. You accompany her outside.

>See if I can read the letters on the coffin.
Whether I can or not, do not disturb the coffin or the statue- Moskar's from a desert, man- tomb-robbing generally ends badly.

>Keep half an eye on whatever my mouldering companion is up to.
Having spent quite some time doing business with all kinds of people as a mercenary in your youth, you've picked up enough of the common language of man to read these letters. "Here lies Sir Artor the Tenacius. Champion of countless battles, Hero of Great Planks, defender of the lost and weak. Poisoned by assassins during his visit to the citadel, he killed three of the assassins with nought but his drinking tankard before succumbing to the poison. May his rest be peaceful, and may any who dare disturb him be struck down by the ducks themselves." This is what you think it says, but you had to read a few parts multiple times as your written common has gotten somewhat rusty.

You look over to your companion and see her gyrating in a somewhat silly position. After some time, the ghostly apparition of a man can be seen. Looks like she wasn't just spazzing out after all.

Egen... goes looking for a bookstore or something to pass the time.
You head out of the church, closely followed by Seanna, who seems to be just following you. You take a walk through the edges of the market, where there are actual buildings. You pass one called "Marlon's used bookstore - Mouldy, Mystical and Mercifully cheap". You decide that this doesn't sound any more or less dubious than the other shops you've seen in this town and enter.

It almost seems like it's bigger on the inside, but you're sure that's just your imagination. The store is packed with shelves filled with strange and somewhat banged up books. Every shelf has a note attached, stating the general theme of the books on it. These go from very wide, like 'history', to rather specific, like 'growing mushrooms for alchemical purposes". You stand on your toes to take around the store and see that there must be close to a hundred of these shelves.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »

Egen waves at Seanna, "Um... What are you looking for?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:45 pm »

"Exceptional! Hooray!"

Now that today's charity is done, head back to the inn and pay off my debt, which, if I remember correctly, should be 40 imperial coins. Whether that's the same as 40 gold coins remains to be seen. Then head back to Belgrad! That's a city of adventure if there's ever been one!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 02, 2014, 01:22:08 am »

Egen waves at Seanna, "Um... What are you looking for?"
"Oh! Uh-nothing really, I just decided to follow whoever and you seem the... nicest and most... sane of my choices!"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2014, 09:55:38 am »

"Oh! Uh-nothing really, I just decided to follow whoever and you seem the... nicest and most... sane of my choices!"

"Um... Thanks?"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2014, 10:05:21 am »

"So where are you going?"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:34 am »

"So where are you going?"

Egen shrugs, "Just looking at some cheap books. We still have to pay off the innkeeper, after all."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:59 am »

Moskar nodded slowly as he finished reading. It was a good memorial to a warrior, whoever he actually was, and Moskar Byal was not about to defile the final resting place of someone worthy of respect. Instead, he dipped his head solemnly to the coffin, then turned to look over at Tomo...

"What in the Sands isss..." He trails off.
Really, he's less surprised about the sudden appearance of a ghost- that's old news, after all- and more surprised by the strange human apparently having some grasp on magic. He quickly tugs out his cleaver, just to reassure himself as he watches the strange scene before him.

>Leave the coffin untouched. Bow my head to it for a moment in a respectful gesture.

>Then, watch the ghost. Carefully. Hold my cleaver just in case.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54