Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54

Author Topic: Uskarian Adventures : It's dead, Jim.  (Read 79074 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Uskarian Adventures : Shoveling evil out of the way
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:58 am »

"Good behaviors that work for the betterment of society!"

"... Which is to say that we killed a necromancer that was harassing the locals. He, uh, obviously wasn't a very good necromancer."

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:06 pm »

"Ah. Did I help?"
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:14 pm »

"Ah. Did I help?"

Egen shrugs, "I guess."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

Leave and get back to the priest. The undead issue appears to be solved right now!
Follow Nosegay.
Follow Nosegay as well.
Come out of drunken stupor.
The jolly gang, lead by Nosegay the clown, take their leave of the musty tomb and head back to the surface, being careful not to step in too much zombie gibs and guts. Nosegay leads the way upstairs, limping somewhat.  Seanna and Egen follow, conversing amongst themselves and Natasha brings up the rear, wobbling along. Once outside, they notice that it's getting darker, evening is upon them. They make their way back to Saanan to talk to the priest. The trip only takes about an hour or so, since the graveyard wasn't all that far away, and goes by without much trouble, save for having to stabelize Natasha a few times. Once they enter the town, they head straight for the small chapel. They find the monk sitting at the altar, praying. They explain what has happened at the graveyard and ask for their compensation.

The monk listens to your explenation, then speaks up "Oh dear, that was quite the pickle you found yourselves in. I wonder what that necromancer was after. In any case, you have more than earned your pay." The party looks at him expectantly, while he looks somewhat unsure. "I hope you don't think I'm going to give you your pay, the paper clearly stated to head to church in Belgrad."

ah.

You all make a half turn and go straight bac down the road and head for Belgrad. By the time you get there, it's already nighttime. The people of Belgrad, however, seem to have completely ignored this fact. Large alchemical lights illuminate the streets and you can see people still out and about. You navigate the maze-like streets of the outer part of the city, until you get to the center. Then everything gets hectic.

Belgrad is a trading hub, sitting on on of the roads that connect the Empire with the northern lands through Uskaria. The outer 'ring' of the city is where it's permanent residents live, closely build dwelling and a spiders web of streets and back alleys. The center of the town is one huge market place. Stalls and shops of all sizes dot the market, no commodity too silly or obscure to be sold. The fact that it's nighttime does not seem to bother most of the people here, as goods are being made and sold and bartered for wherever you look. Looking to the horizon you can make out two large buildings on the Northern side of the town. One is a large tower, completely build out of white bricks. The bricks themselves seem to be giving off light. The other seems like a large hall, build out of solid masonry. A single spire juts out of the front, with a bell inside of it.
>Get the sledgehammer, assess whether it would make a better weapon than my cleaver.

>Then take the spear and shove it into the dirt the zombies were digging away at.
Try and work out if there's a chamber beyond, or just what they were digging towards.

You grab the sledgehammer. It's a hefty thing, the head is as almost as large as your forearm and weighs quite a bit. As for what's better, that really depends. The cleaver will obviously do you more good when you're trying to slice of an enemy's arm, while the sledgehammer will make short work out of things you want hammered. It's still more of a tool than a weapon, though, so it may not be as effective as it could be. Perhaps you could go see a blacksmith about this...

You then grab the spear, casting a glance up to Tomo, who just seems to stand there, staring into nothing. You shrug and make your way back to the tunnel. You prod the loose earth with the spear. After a good half hour of prodding, scarping away some dirt and whatnot, you give up. No matter how far you stick the spear in, you don't feel anything solid, only more dirt. It seems whatever they were digging towards, if there was a set goal to begin with, is still quite a ways off.

Spoiler: GM OOC (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2014, 01:57:20 am »

((Nope, asks me to download.))

Head for the church.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2014, 05:44:59 am »

"Ah! I think the large hall building might be the church we're looking for - there should hopefully be some helpful signage on the way."

Go to the large hall building - check if it's the church we're looking for.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:14 am »

Egen follows everyone else. They seem to know where they're going.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:31 am »

Moskar became mildly irritated. He did not like being wrong- surely this stupid necromancer had been digging for something.
He glanced over at the zombie, Tomo. "Human," he grunted, still working the spear back and forth to loosen more dirt, "What do you make of thiss? Surely they were digging for something of some value..."

>Dig the tunnel a bit further using the spear.

>If it doesn't work, if the spear breaks, or if nothing's to be found after a few meters, take the shield and leave. Go back to the church.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »

Tomo once again snaps out of her reverie at the sound of Moskar's voice and spins to face him, arms loosely whipping around. "Ahh? Well, Master would use tunnels for all sorts of things! You can store things in them, or dig them between bases to get around during the day, or dig into crypts and stuff, or even dig into people's cellars for surprise attacks! Zombies can dig all day and all night without getting tired, so you can just tell them to dig and let them dig!

Speaking of digging, Tomo does not think spears are very good for digging. There is a bunch of shovels around!"

Help Moskar with digging if he requests it; afterwards or otherwise, try reading this book- the necromancer's body will serve as refreshments.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2014, 06:06:47 pm »

"Hmph."
Moskar considered that a moment, casting aside the blunted spear and looking about the crypt as he walked over to a fallen shovel.
"The tombss of my people certainly could not be dug through so easily," He muttered thoughtfully, half-to himself. He frowned slightly as he gripped the shovel, casting an uneasy glance over at the bloody form of the necromancer. Perhaps he's having one of those 'confronted with his own mortality' moments.
"...I certainly would not want to be buried in ssuch a poor place as thiss."

With an irritated growl he shoves such thoughts aside and plunges the shovel into the dirt.

>Get a shovel
>Ponder mortality
>Go back to digging for loot.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:07 pm »

Head for the church.
Go to the large hall building - check if it's the church we're looking for.
Egen follows everyone else. They seem to know where they're going.

Our 4 comrades, lead by Nosegay, decide that the large building on the horizon is probably where they will get paid. They set out across the market towards their destination, navigating the stalls and dodging desperate vendors. They pass "stalls" that are nothing more than a big carpet on the ground on which strange and sparkly items are set upon and stalls that are more permanent. The latter mostly house blacksmiths, jewellers, clothiers and the like. The market is still lively, but many of the stalls are closed, their owners away or simply sleeping inside of them.

After a decent length of time our group reaches the other side of the plaza and makes their way to the large building. They are greated by an impressive set of stairs that lead up to heavy metal doors. Above these doors is a large brass depiction of a stylized sun, dispelling any doubt our adventurers might have had about wether this was the church of Solaris or not. They enter the church and head straight for a monk sitting at a desk. They explain what has transpired and show him the papers.

"Ah, more trouble in one of the rural towns, then? Let's see...yes, this all seems in order. Very well, that will earn you four standard payments of 80 gold coins each. Sign here, please."

He produces a sheet of paper and a pen, moves them over to your side of the desk and motions towards a line that read 'recipient(s)'

>Dig the tunnel a bit further using the spear.

>If it doesn't work, if the spear breaks, or if nothing's to be found after a few meters, take the shield and leave. Go back to the church.
Help Moskar with digging if he requests it; afterwards or otherwise, try reading this book- the necromancer's body will serve as refreshments.
Moskar uses the spear to keep prodding the dirt, while Tomo goes to the corpse of the necromancer. She sits down and opens the book, grabbing the necromancer's arm to nibble on. after taking a few bites, she opens the book. The first few pages aren't attached to the spin, and seem to have been added seperately. The pages are marked 1,5,27,32. Looks like someoen wasn't all that careful with their book.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 27 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 32 (click to show/hide)

After reading these loose papers, Tomo finishes the arm by breaking the bone and sucking out the marrow. She then opens the black book. the first thirty or so pages feature what seem to be magic runes, but they are faded and barely readable. Seems they were used quite some time ago. The page after that however contains new runes, in a somewhat sloppy handwriting. Upon reading these, the runes glow bright for an instant and then fade out. Even though she cannot read the runes, their meaning has been ingrained into Tomo's mind

You have gained necromancy: Touch of decay and Raise Ghost.

>Get a shovel
>Ponder mortality
>Go back to digging for loot.

Getting tired of the prodding the earth with the spear, you put it back on the table and decide to followo the advice of the strange undead girl. You walk over to where she is and see her sitting there, sucking the marrow out of one of the necromancer's bones and reading a book. You take one of the shovels and begin digging. Tomo, after a while, also grabs a shovel and helps you. The two of you work together for a while, in a comfortable silence. Your mind wanders a bit, the sight of the necromancer, so brutally slain and left in the shabby tomb of another, making you think about the path you have chosen. Truly, you sometimes miss the warm sands of your homeland, the simple and down-to-earth lifestyle of your people. The great desert tombs, made out of solid stones and buried deep within the sands. Dying here, in the lands that are wet, cold and infested with the cities of man and the forests of the elves seems like an end truly unbefitting of a warrior of your stature.

After about half an hour, your patience wearing thin, your shovels hit something solid. You hurry to wipe away the rest of the dirt. This reveals another wall, made out of solid looking blocks of mountain stone. Moskar, sensing loot, throws the shovel behind him and grabs his sledgehammer. He pounds the all repeatedly. After a few solid hits, the stones begin to give away. Some more swings and good bit of cursing later, the hole is now big enough for our duo to crawl through. The chamber beyond is pitch-black, as Kenneth hasn't put up torches in this particular crypt.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2014, 06:32:18 pm »

Sign 'Seanna' and wait for the others to do whatever. Pocket my gold though.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2014, 06:43:39 pm »

"Ah, but you must excuse me! We had two other companions with us, a somewhat surly lizardman and a rather charming young lady by the name of Tomo, they split off from us on the way back. Should they come here to claim their payment, know that we vouch for their integrity and participation. In fact, I would advise that you give the reptilian individual a slight bonus, as he did quite a bit of the actual work! Right, my fellows?"

Inform priest of other people who took part in the quest.

"Also, do you accept monetary donations?"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »

Egen quickly glances over the document for anything suspicious before signing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2014, 06:47:02 pm »

Barely visible in the darkness, Moskar's lipless mouth twitches into a fanged grin.
'I was right. Of course. No way of knowing what lies within, though.'
So thinking, the dirt-spattered lizardman turns and strides quickly back from the tunnel, grabbing one of the nearest torches before returning to the newly-made hole. He tosses it through into the blackness, gripping his cleaver in preparation for whatever might be inside.

>Go grab a torch from elsewhere in the crypt, toss it through the hole.

>Ready my cleaver should anything inside react to the light.
>If nothing inside moves, look through, and if it appears safe climb through and see what's inside.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54