Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Arm loss  (Read 4834 times)

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arm loss
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »

I haven't had lost hands, but I did have an "ability to grasp lost" dwarf who was useless. He could eat and drink, but he kept trying to clean himself. I watched him for a while - he'd run to one bar of soap, then run to another one. He stopped that eventually, and only lost happiness when his shirt rotted away. I lost him to a forgotten beast, after assuming that he no longer existed for my sanity (it's really annoying trying to manage a fortress with continual "Geshud McUseless cancels clean self: ability to grasp lost" spam feed).

And this is why DF is the best game ever.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »

If you are willing to do the modding, you could create a creature with two metal arms, then create a reaction that creates a vaporizing rock that transforms the dwarf into that creature.  Prosthetic limbs.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:15 pm »

You could also have to dorf get bitten by a werebeast....
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »

Now that is a pretty dwarfy solution!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »

High maintanence though.  He'd have to spend his off time in a special isolation room, and be forbidden from being placed into the hospital when injured between sorties.

This is to prevent his dwarven PMS every month from destroying the fortress.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 07:41:44 pm »

Perhaps a marksdwarf with his own dedicated section of the ramparts to patrol.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »

Also, he still has his feet and head - biting is crazy unpredictable, but sometimes ridiculously effective, and a high level kicker is always effective. The lack of a shield is a problem, but candy armour will help there - not like he needs a full set...

You (OP) ought to try this and see how well it actually works. I've been meaning to try out a squad of armless kickers for the "'Special' Forces" thread.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »

My Militia Captain lost his ability to grasp. He spend his spare time trying to clean himself. He ended up transitioning from a hammer dwarf to a wrestler. Probably has strong legs by now....

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:27:26 am »

In Necrothreat, the captain of the guard was missing both hands. He did alright in combat, mostly by kicking and biting things. I recommend leaving him in the army. If he lives, great. You have a capable warrior. If he dies, then he made it to Valhalla.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »

Either use him in the army as-is, or retire him, wait for a werebeast to come, and get him infected. Then isolate him and put him to work picking up a secondary production skill so he can remain useful.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:34 pm »

If you are willing to do the modding, you could create a creature with two metal arms, then create a reaction that creates a vaporizing rock that transforms the dwarf into that creature.  Prosthetic limbs.
I need this. If only I was good with reactions..

Now that is a pretty dwarfy solution!
Or make mouths (or teeth) be able to grasp?
Imagine an arm less dwarf slashing a goblins throat out with a sword that he is holding with his mouth.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »

AFAIK the modding solution will only work if you regen the world, which would remove the need...

If you use a mod like Better Dorfs or Masterwork you can transform him into another caste via a guild hall or the like, but for vanilla the were-beast method is your only option.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:41:34 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 05:18:03 pm »

So I guess brave Astesh Rawring the Fetid Droplets of Laboring is going to wait until a werebeast passes by. They aren't trapavoid, are they?

He's been mostly leading and watching demonstrations lately. Looks like his squadmates think that lecturing him on shield use is a good idea. I've seen him get a newbie axedwarf a level up in dodging... not enough to save him from a  Forgotten Beast kicking in his skull.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »

werebeasts ARE trapavoid, at least in beast form. As soon as they return to normal they will be trappable.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:38 am »

So it is safe to say his arm is not ok.

Hehe.

I would actually recommend not were-beasting him. Without arms, he can't hold a hammer which actually makes him the best dwarf for the job of hammerer because he won't murder your dwarves for petty crimes.

He might be a good captain of the guard too, depending on whether or not he can administer beatings with no arms and also importantly whether those beatings are as lethal as they are with a normal dwarf.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 [2] 3