Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Arm loss  (Read 4823 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arm loss
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:34:26 pm »

I had just had a veteran marksdwarf lose both arms in a fight with a Forgotten Beast. Blood loss has failed to kill him, and now he's trying to pick up soap to clean himself.

Can he even survive without being able to grasp? If yes, what jobs can he still perform?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arm loss
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »

Sadly this dorf will never be able to dress himself, so he will have to endure clothing rot and being filthy. He can harvest plants I believe... I say make him a tomb and let him fight a Jabberer with his feet. GO OUT IN A BLAZE OR GOREY errr GLORY.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:10 pm »

I had a dwarf get his spine broken by a zombie water buffalo- and he could still do all tasks, just very, very slowly.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »

I had a dwarf get his spine broken by a zombie water buffalo- and he could still do all tasks, just very, very slowly.

Was it the lower spine or the middle spine? Broken lower spines just mean loss of use of legs, middle spine (if there is one? Some larger creatures have a middle spine) means loss of use of legs and not sure if arms are affected there.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:54:41 pm »

Was it the lower spine or the middle spine? Broken lower spines just mean loss of use of legs, middle spine (if there is one? Some larger creatures have a middle spine) means loss of use of legs and not sure if arms are affected there.

A broken middle spine inevitably kills a dwarf by suffocation. A deconstruction accident taught me that the hard way.

Sadly this dorf will never be able to dress himself, so he will have to endure clothing rot and being filthy. He can harvest plants I believe... I say make him a tomb and let him fight a Jabberer with his feet. GO OUT IN A BLAZE OR GOREY errr GLORY.

He's still wearing his armour (except gauntlets, of course), so that's not a problem. I think dwarves don't need hands to drink, but what about food?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

I had a dwarf survive for several years with both hands bitten off by a cave croc.  What he was doing down there I will never know.

They can eat with no problem.  I agree with the Jabberer suggestion, he's pretty much useless for anything... how high were his non-weapon combat skills?  Dodging, armor use, etc.?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:28:41 pm »

Just keep the dwarf in the squad with the uniform setting intact, and he'll survive just fine, probably even in a decent mood if he has a nice bedroom. He can still eat and drink without help.

I agree, he's an invalid. So just do what humans do with their crippled veterans, which is... throw them to the beasts? Murder them in the name of mercy? Yeah, right.
He should still be able to kick, bite and wrestle with his legs. I wouldn't expect too much out of him in a fight, and his defence wouldn't be too great without a shield.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »

So it is safe to say his arm is not ok.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:39:08 pm »

I had a dwarf survive for several years with both hands bitten off by a cave croc.  What he was doing down there I will never know.

They can eat with no problem.  I agree with the Jabberer suggestion, he's pretty much useless for anything... how high were his non-weapon combat skills?  Dodging, armor use, etc.?

He's a Grand Master Marksdwarf and Archer, and a Proficient Dodger. At most competent at everything else. Maybe he's still good for demonstrations. I'm certainly not going to send someone who killed six clowns to certain death just because he isn't very useful anymore.

So he's going to survive just fine? That's comforting news. Thanks to everyone for the answers.

I see what you did there.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 06:49:06 pm »

I'm certainly not going to send someone who killed six clowns to certain death just because he isn't very useful anymore.
No, you've got it backwards: any warrior great enough to slay six clowns would much rather end their days in a blaze of glory than die a dishonored, pitied cripple.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."

*stares blankly at screen for a couple minutes, then starts laughing*

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »

He's a Grand Master Marksdwarf and Archer, and a Proficient Dodger. At most competent at everything else. Maybe he's still good for demonstrations. I'm certainly not going to send someone who killed six clowns to certain death just because he isn't very useful anymore.

So he's going to survive just fine? That's comforting news. Thanks to everyone for the answers.

When you get a baron, make him your champion.  Have him train the other dwarves.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:59 pm »

I had a vampire lose both her arms in an arena match with a golden hydra (vampire punishment            pretty severe in my forts) and all she did all day after was stand in the throne room, guarding the iron throne. She spammed her inability to pickup clothes all the time yet became a very useful cave scout as a result of her never needing to go get food and being utterly disposable.

As for if an armless person who does need food can survive I would imagine so although I would guess they need to be fed. Use them as a scout or bait for megabeasts, maybe use them to conduct "science" if you have a dangerous project in mind.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:38:15 am »

Dwarves candid and sincere in dealings with others would feed and water him even if he was unable to do that himself.
Yet I believe the hands are overrated needed only for the activities updated by Toady only recently, while most of the jobs are carried in traditional way - with beard.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 06:29:51 am »

Could you not maybe make him the hammerer? Or the sheriff/captain of the guard?

As hammerer he might be useless and spam his inability to carry out his orders, but if it works, you have a hammerer who won't hurt your dwarves.
And as a sheriff/captain of the guard, he could train his squad, but also serve a purpose?

I'll be honest I don't normally use either, so I'm not too familiar with them. I just use my military as a policing force, but it would seem he could still play a role in the fort that way.

Also, he still has his feet and head - biting is crazy unpredictable, but sometimes ridiculously effective, and a high level kicker is always effective. The lack of a shield is a problem, but candy armour will help there - not like he needs a full set...

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »

When you get a baron, make him your champion.  Have him train the other dwarves.

The duke has been dead for over 30 years, so I can't appoint a champion.

Dwarves candid and sincere in dealings with others would feed and water him even if he was unable to do that himself.
Yet I believe the hands are overrated needed only for the activities updated by Toady only recently, while most of the jobs are carried in traditional way - with beard.

I hoped that's the case, thanks for confirmation.

Could you not maybe make him the hammerer? Or the sheriff/captain of the guard?

As hammerer he might be useless and spam his inability to carry out his orders, but if it works, you have a hammerer who won't hurt your dwarves.
And as a sheriff/captain of the guard, he could train his squad, but also serve a purpose?

I'll be honest I don't normally use either, so I'm not too familiar with them. I just use my military as a policing force, but it would seem he could still play a role in the fort that way.

Also, he still has his feet and head - biting is crazy unpredictable, but sometimes ridiculously effective, and a high level kicker is always effective. The lack of a shield is a problem, but candy armour will help there - not like he needs a full set...

I haven't had a hammerer for... decades, I guess. All justice has been handled by jail. He's a good candidate :) I'll keep him in the squad and have him lead demonstrations. He's good at dodging, and that improves his chances for survival quite significantly. Maybe he could draw the attention of the next FB and keep avoiding its attacks while the rest of the squad catches up with it and starts hacking it into pieces?
Pages: [1] 2 3