Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87596 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #645 on: January 12, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »

I looked up Geomancer, and discovered to my disappointment that it doesn't have theurge spell progression. Understandable but disappointing.

(Complete Divine, source of the Geomancer)

Spell Versatility fits with Drak's backstory/motivation well, and Drift is pretty neat. Any idea of how to incorporate one or both of these features into a theurge-ey class without being...you know, OP?

That sounds... incredibly powerful. Not to mention that wizard is the most prominent tier 1 class for a reason. A wizard with a fighter's BAB, feats, and saves would be absolutely insane, removing the one weakness they have.
Well, Wizard/Fighter is pretty impressive. Monk/Barbarian...less so. Although one has to wonder how one would be both, since one requires you to be lawful and the other requires you to not be lawful.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 12, 2014, 06:03:14 pm »

That sounds... incredibly powerful. Not to mention that wizard is the most prominent tier 1 class for a reason. A wizard with a fighter's BAB, feats, and saves would be absolutely insane, removing the one weakness they have.
Well, Wizard/Fighter is pretty impressive. Monk/Barbarian...less so. Although one has to wonder how one would be both, since one requires you to be lawful and the other requires you to not be lawful.
Multiple personalities?  :P

preemptive edit: OH WOW. The moment after I mention being able to sneak attack undead thanks to PS, I see that the two figures are... undead. Hehe.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:17 pm »

That sounds... incredibly powerful. Not to mention that wizard is the most prominent tier 1 class for a reason. A wizard with a fighter's BAB, feats, and saves would be absolutely insane, removing the one weakness they have. Besides, IIRC we only get 0.5 LA per level in tier 4 classes and 1 LA per level in tier 5 classes, so you wouldn't really get much that you couldn't do better by multiclassing and taking a template or two.

e: And the possibility of rogue undead in our party makes me even more happy that I took the Penetrating Strike ACF in place of Trap Sense. 50% sneak attack damage is better than nothing. :/
Twas just an example to show you how they work, since the Wizard and Fighter are the most straightforward classes, and therefore don't require me to get my PHB out.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 12, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »

I'm still not going to allow gestalting, sorry.

I looked up Geomancer, and discovered to my disappointment that it doesn't have theurge spell progression. Understandable but disappointing.

Spell Versatility fits with Drak's backstory/motivation well, and Drift is pretty neat. Any idea of how to incorporate one or both of these features into a theurge-ey class without being...you know, OP?

I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can make your link work. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »

The rules on Gestalting.

Of course, it would only work if alignment restrictions are/were being/were waived.

FAKEDIT: D:
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:26 pm »

Sadface.

And yes, it can be incredibly powerful in some respects. I just wanted to make a Bear or Boar Totem Barbarian with a Monk of the Undying Way.

He was meant to do two things; 1. Not die and B. Grapple you. To death.

Ah well. I suppose I could just make a barbarian and use the LA instead. Gets me the stuff I really want, after all; Monk just went thematically and would have been fun.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:38 pm »

I'm still not going to allow gestalting, sorry.

I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can make your link work. :P
Why don't those links work?

Anyways, here is another useful source I discovered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »

'I discovered'

When I've been telling you guys to use dndtools since like page 15 or so.

Bah.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »

'I discovered'

When I've been telling you guys to use dndtools since like page 15 or so.

Bah.

I use dndtools for pretty much all of my builds, but I always double check them against the book .pdfs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »

I just had a sudden realization. The most terrifying thing I can think of exploring would be a DF community fort after it has been in the hands of two dozen or so overseers.

3. Run Resize Enable

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:18 pm »

We must start a succession game designing a dungeon for a D&D game.

...Once the new version is released.
Sig

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:57 pm »

I just had a sudden realization. The most terrifying thing I can think of exploring would be a DF community fort after it has been in the hands of two dozen or so overseers.
Go read some Emperor Tippy stuff.  It might be accurate to say his world is that.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:30 am »

Eh, too much of the Tippyverse relies on commoner railgun-style rules abuse for my taste. Sure, there's the heavy reliance on Gate scrolls and Wish traps to make it remotely cost effective, but that's not the end of it. Most especially the teleportation circles; just because you can theoretically run around a thousand people through one in a single round doesn't mean that it's even remotely practical or safe, either for an invasion force or for high-volume trade. You'd need an entirely automated system for the latter, which would be difficult even for a society with the sort of wealth that he's talking about.

That aside, I also disagree with his interpretation of the societal effects of rules-lawyer permanent TCs--that wouldn't encourage centralization because, according to his own gamed rules, it's basically impossible to prevent teleportation forever without epic-level magic, which he specifically excludes. That would actually push towards decentralization, to prevent a single strike from gutting a state's military and civilian infrastructure at the same time that it destroys the government and much of the population. That sort of decentralization would also be a more logical approach to dealing with teleport-gank armies by creating a MAD standoff; with constant magical/telepathic communication links between different hubs, any invading nation would need n+1 armies to successfully attack without repercussions, with n being the number of significant military installations in their target. Otherwise, once under attack, the defender could launch their own strikes at the invader's cities.

--

On another note, I really need to draw up a list of the different things I'm carrying around to chuck at people, with the stats, etc. listed, so that I don't have to add it to the post/make Hans check a book every time I use one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:05:55 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:58 pm »

Remuthra, could you kindly go through your character's attack bonuses for me?

Adding them up, that is?

And explaining how your +6 power attack only nets you a -4 penalty to hit?

Because right now, I call bullshit.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 13, 2014, 10:37:10 pm »

Properly speaking, if he power-attacked for +6 damage, he should only have -3 to hit, given that his fullblade would proc the special effect for 2H weapons.

Straight from the PHB:

If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.

Though his actual attack bonus seems wonky. When I ran the numbers I came out with +21 to attack with the Fullblade, but that's not right, either. He's using the 2d8 base damage for it, which is a Large-sized weapon (essentially a Large bastard sword), which would incur a -4 penalty to attack due to being offsized. The Fullblade is wonky anyways, because IIRC it was never updated for 3.5 and the stats are a bit unclear. Unless we're houseruling that the weapon proficiency removes the offsize penalty.

e: At least, I think that's how the size would play out. Might be something weird like Large creatures using it as a 1H weapon and Medium creatures using it as a 2H, IDK.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:50:05 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47