Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87475 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #555 on: January 11, 2014, 12:13:19 am »

We can use you as a mount!
YES
I will ride on your back
You will ride on my zombie minotaur.
We will find a Huge creature for the minotaur to ride.
And when I get my Tiny familiar next level, he will ride on me.

It must be done.
Use an elephant. Also, if possible, set up a fortified siege tower on my back, so you can get comfy up there.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:12 am »

Naw. Elephants are so last week.

Bulette, instead. On a purple worm. Once we get high enough level that it won't be sacrilege, the purple worm will ride on the Red Wyrm.

And then I'll reanimate a fly and a toad. To ride on my familiar. Mountception must be done.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2014, 12:23:05 am »

Then we can all wield lances, and do a mounted charge for 60 billion damage or so.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 11, 2014, 12:23:33 am »

e: Reposting this lower down because I probably spent too long editing it. I'm interested to hear Han's thoughts on it, because it seems like a better way to houserule crits and sneak attacks for splash weapons, both in terms of meshing with the character and making sense.

If I were DM, I would figure out some way for crits and sneak attacks on the stuff with saving throws to increase the DC. I can see that (a good throw gets more of the stuff in the body), but massively increasing duration on a sneak attack makes...less sense.
The only questions are what bonus for a crit (+10?) and what for sneak attacks (+2/d6?)

2. I would actually love to see crits and sneak attacks increase DCs rather than add to effects. That would be brilliant, and would let those items stay effective into much higher levels than normal. Hm, a flat rate might not be the best for crits, considering that it would be far too much for lower-level items and too little for high-tier items. Multiply the DC by x1.3 on a crit, rounding up to the nearest whole number, perhaps? So a DC12 item that critted would have a DC of 18 for that attack, a DC25 item would have a DC of 37 for that attack, and so forth? That would come close to replicating the effect of a damage multiplier in terms of the effectiveness of the attack, keeping in mind that they'll only crit on natural 20s (unless I spend a feat just to expand my threat range with them to 19-20, which seems... wasteful).

For sneak attacks the dice roll for added DC seems good, assuming it scales with level. Maybe make it half the dice of my current sneak attack, rounding up. So for now I'd get 2d6 to DC, which would remain the same at 7th level, go up to 3d6 at 9th level, and so forth? At 20th level that'd give 5d6 additional DC on a successful sneak attack, which could range from near-pointless to a near-doubling of DC, depending on the roll and item. Just a thought.

This seems reasonable enough. /me bangs a gavel. Houseruled! :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 11, 2014, 12:26:55 am »

e: Reposting this lower down because I probably spent too long editing it. I'm interested to hear Han's thoughts on it, because it seems like a better way to houserule crits and sneak attacks for splash weapons, both in terms of meshing with the character and making sense.

If I were DM, I would figure out some way for crits and sneak attacks on the stuff with saving throws to increase the DC. I can see that (a good throw gets more of the stuff in the body), but massively increasing duration on a sneak attack makes...less sense.
The only questions are what bonus for a crit (+10?) and what for sneak attacks (+2/d6?)

2. I would actually love to see crits and sneak attacks increase DCs rather than add to effects. That would be brilliant, and would let those items stay effective into much higher levels than normal. Hm, a flat rate might not be the best for crits, considering that it would be far too much for lower-level items and too little for high-tier items. Multiply the DC by x1.3 on a crit, rounding up to the nearest whole number, perhaps? So a DC12 item that critted would have a DC of 18 for that attack, a DC25 item would have a DC of 37 for that attack, and so forth? That would come close to replicating the effect of a damage multiplier in terms of the effectiveness of the attack, keeping in mind that they'll only crit on natural 20s (unless I spend a feat just to expand my threat range with them to 19-20, which seems... wasteful).

For sneak attacks the dice roll for added DC seems good, assuming it scales with level. Maybe make it half the dice of my current sneak attack, rounding up. So for now I'd get 2d6 to DC, which would remain the same at 7th level, go up to 3d6 at 9th level, and so forth? At 20th level that'd give 5d6 additional DC on a successful sneak attack, which could range from near-pointless to a near-doubling of DC, depending on the roll and item. Just a thought.

This seems reasonable enough. /me bangs a gavel. Houseruled! :P

Awesome!

For that, I promise I will never kill a Tarrasque by coating my lasso in several hundred doses of blister oil, a layer of sovereign glue, and hitting with a ranged touch attack.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:18 am »

Then we can all wield lances, and do a mounted charge for 60 billion damage or so.
There's a reason I took a rank in Ride.

Still wouldn't kill it, Flying Dice. :p
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 11, 2014, 12:31:49 am »

There's a reason I took a rank in Ride.

Still wouldn't kill it, Flying Dice. :p

True. I'd have to use something with a ton of Con damage and a good DC, and keep throwing more at it. Or Dex damage it until it can't avoid anything. Say, do Tarrasque have 5 ranks in Balance...?  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 11, 2014, 12:35:44 am »

It's immune to ability damage and energy drain. Doesn't work either.

On another note, the Tarrasque gains quite a bit of hp(and free feats) under this system. Martial Stance: Something That Kills You, anyone?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:10 am »

YES
I will ride on your back

It must be done.
Didn't we go over this? You can't ride humanoid creatures!

The multiplicative crit thing seems to be fine.
I actually meant a flat +2 DC for every d6 you would have otherwise.

Naw. Elephants are so last week.

Bulette, instead. On a purple worm. Once we get high enough level that it won't be sacrilege, the purple worm will ride on the Red Wyrm.

And then I'll reanimate a fly and a toad. To ride on my familiar. Mountception must be done.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 11, 2014, 12:59:10 am »

The multiplicative crit thing seems to be fine.
I actually meant a flat +2 DC for every d6 you would have otherwise.
Hm. That could work. It'd certainly be simpler to implement, and would require fewer rolls. I'm fine with changing it to this if Hans would prefer it. Either way works, I'm just happy to have these things be useful.

3. Run Resize Enable

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 11, 2014, 01:07:53 am »

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one not trying to game the system at every opportunity :P
Not the only one :P

EDIT: What is the ring of spellbattle anyway?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 11, 2014, 01:09:52 am »

Consider this is the first time I've -ever- played in an RP... >____> Table-top or otherwise.

If I am at all gaming the system, I promise you, it is but an illusion and my incompetence will surely rear itself somewhere else. :>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 11, 2014, 01:25:55 am »

Oh, I almost forgot:

I expect that alchemical weapons that do damage without a DC (and ones with a damage component without a DC separate from a conditional component with a DC) just add typed sneak attack/crit damage normally? So a sneak attack hit with a firestone would be 1d6 + 3d6 fire damage, for example.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 11, 2014, 01:34:30 am »

YES
I will ride on your back

It must be done.
Didn't we go over this? You can't ride humanoid creatures!
Bullshit! I see little kids riding on their parent's shoulders all the time!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:26 am »

Apparently piggyback rides haven't been invented in this world yet :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 47