Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47

Author Topic: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story  (Read 87485 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 DnD] A Kobold Story
« Reply #540 on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »

I don't k ow what any of that stuff does :P

I'm pre-emptively saying "no" to the belt. I've got one already. I wouldn't mind a brief run-down on the rest though.

Minor Cloak of Displacement gives 20% Concealment, permanently. As long as you wear the cloak.

Ring of Spellbattle is useless to you. :P 

Boots of Big (side)Stepping is two items in one. One lets you teleport 60' 3/day as Greater Teleport, as a Standard action. The other let's you spend a swift action to take a Five Foot Step without using a Move action. Meaning you can take a FFS away from an enemy, and then move without provoking an AoO.

Should I try to memorize the maps too?

Please god, do it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:33:31 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 10, 2014, 11:35:03 pm »

Okay.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

That cloak gives the same effect as a +2 armor enchantment, Blurring (Greater), as another way of looking at it. The belt's good, but only if you're going to be a packrat like me. The boots are pretty damned useful as well if you don't have a pair that directly enhance your class abilities.

Incidentally, new goal in life: Obtain Bag of Holding. Obtain sufficient marbles to fill said Bag to maximum capacity. Upend Bag over crowded human marketplace from a high vantage point.

e: Ultimate Warrior rolls to cut his own arm off incoming.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:50:29 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »

That cloak gives the same effect as a +2 armor enchantment, Blurring (Greater), as another way of looking at it. The belt's good, but only if you're going to be a packrat like me. The boots are pretty damned useful as well if you don't have a pair that directly enhance your class abilities.

Incidentally, new goal in life: Obtain Bag of Holding. Obtain sufficient marbles to fill said Bag to maximum capacity. Upend Bag over crowded human marketplace from a high vantage point.

e: Ultimate Warrior rolls to cut his own arm off incoming.

Actually, Greater Blurring has a 10 minute duration. You have to spend an action every so often turning it on. Minor Cloak of Displacement does not have this minor caveat. :P

The Belt lets you trade swift actions for bigger, better actions. Want to full attack twice in one round? You can do it. Want to move twice in one round? Read up on the Belt of Battle, it's fucking awesome. The Belt of Hidden Pouches functions like... A Handy Haversack of Holding, but on your hips. And yes, the Boots are pretty badass also. Nothing I offered was a low quality (Or cheap) item. Most of them cost 1/3rd of your current WBL.

That is a glorious idea, and I will reward you if you can do that at some point in this campaign.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:36 pm »

And humans? Humans are Medium sized. This will be very relevant later. :P
Pleasedon'tbegrapplingPleasedon'tbegrapplingPleasedon'tbegrappling...

I hadn't actually thought of that. Thanks! :D I was more thinking of economic concerns...
Like what? Food consumed and other costs of living?

Oh, and... Looking at RAW, it looks like sneak attack and critical hit damage is always of the same damage type as the weapon that proc'd it, no? So hitting someone with a successful sneak attack with a thrown flask of contact/inhaled poison or an alchemical item with a numeric descriptor in the damage/effects would also make the critical hit and sneak attack damage be of the same type, either adding damage or adding duration to the effect, depending on what the item in question does?

That seems fair, given that crit and sneak attack damage with a melee weapon mimics that weapon's damage type (including nonlethal damage), and given that so many of these items have relatively low save DCs, and that crits for thrown poisons and alchemic weapons only occur on natural 20s.
If I were DM, I would figure out some way for crits and sneak attacks on the stuff with saving throws to increase the DC. I can see that (a good throw gets more of the stuff in the body), but massively increasing duration on a sneak attack makes...less sense.
The only questions are what bonus for a crit (+10?) and what for sneak attacks (+2/d6?)

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one not trying to game the system at every opportunity :P
I'm not trying to game the system!
And FD is intentionally taking a weaker option, he's allowed to game the system.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:40 pm »

Yes, Hans, this campaign my goal is to prove that you can be Batman in D&D without being a wizard.  :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:09:40 am by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:06 pm »

I hadn't actually thought of that. Thanks! :D I was more thinking of economic concerns...
Like: their armor don't fit us, bub. Neither do their weapons.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:10 pm »

More equipment for me :D!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:32 pm »

What the hell kinda quiter talk is that? Get fatter and MAKE that armor fit!
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2014, 11:57:33 pm »

Are you large or medium?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 11, 2014, 12:00:20 am »

And- ... Stuff. :D
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 11, 2014, 12:06:50 am »

Yes, Hans, this campaign my goal is to prove that you can be Batman in D&D without being a wizard.  :P
Anyone who is D&D Batman with magic is disgracing what Batman is: One of the most powerful superheroes in the world, but one without magic superpowers. (Some of which actually are magic--Wonder Woman and earlier incarnations of the Green Lantern, for instance.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:27 am »

Are you large or medium?
Medium. I was banned from breeding myself with an Ogre as well to get to large size and 42 Strength.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:26 am »

We can use you as a mount!
YES
I will ride on your back
You will ride on my zombie minotaur.
We will find a Huge creature for the minotaur to ride.
And when I get my Tiny familiar next level, he will ride on me.

It must be done.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:22 am »

e: Reposting this lower down because I probably spent too long editing it. I'm interested to hear Han's thoughts on it, because it seems like a better way to houserule crits and sneak attacks for splash weapons, both in terms of meshing with the character and making sense.

If I were DM, I would figure out some way for crits and sneak attacks on the stuff with saving throws to increase the DC. I can see that (a good throw gets more of the stuff in the body), but massively increasing duration on a sneak attack makes...less sense.
The only questions are what bonus for a crit (+10?) and what for sneak attacks (+2/d6?)

2. I would actually love to see crits and sneak attacks increase DCs rather than add to effects. That would be brilliant, and would let those items stay effective into much higher levels than normal. Hm, a flat rate might not be the best for crits, considering that it would be far too much for lower-level items and too little for high-tier items. Multiply the DC by x1.3 on a crit, rounding up to the nearest whole number, perhaps? So a DC12 item that critted would have a DC of 18 for that attack, a DC25 item would have a DC of 37 for that attack, and so forth? That would come close to replicating the effect of a damage multiplier in terms of the effectiveness of the attack, keeping in mind that they'll only crit on natural 20s (unless I spend a feat just to expand my threat range with them to 19-20, which seems... wasteful).

For sneak attacks the dice roll for added DC seems good, assuming it scales with level. Maybe make it half the dice of my current sneak attack, rounding up. So for now I'd get 2d6 to DC, which would remain the same at 7th level, go up to 3d6 at 9th level, and so forth? At 20th level that'd give 5d6 additional DC on a successful sneak attack, which could range from near-pointless to a near-doubling of DC, depending on the roll and item. Just a thought.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47