Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Give me a challenge!  (Read 3929 times)

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a challenge!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:39 pm »

Alright! Arrakis, The Anguished Land has been generated with very little freshwater and a helluva lot of Goblin fortresses scattering the desert. Infinite Scorching landscapes as far as the eye can see.

EDIT: How the hell dwarven civilization got to the point of sending out Caravans, I will never know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ONE WORLD LATER: Okay, not everything is on fire the instant I embark, so far so good-

Where's the wagon?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:17:57 pm by DreamCarver »
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

150 max temperature is quite enough for hilarous melting action in really hot biomes. Going much higher just presents way too many biomes where the dwarfs will cancel any job because they're too busy being on fire.

-100 or lower minimum temperature similarly offers deadly cold biomes without wandering animals. All wood, food and cloth in your embark wagon will shatter the moment you unpause, and caravans, if they make it to the depot without freezing solid, will only bring a few bits of metal and stone (they'll _load_ the full assortment, but everything else falls apart the moment they enter the map).
Embarking on a tundra or the like in such an ultra-cold biome is a moderately easy challenge - you'll need to find the caverns for water and plants, but if your starting animals survive the cold long enough, you'll have a decent amount of food, bones and leather.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »

EDIT: Er, Blastbeard, I keep reaching the (Placing Civilizations) stage of generation, and the world gets thrown out. Clarify "High Temperatures", please? I think I might be boiling my prehistoric dwarves alive.

Rejections happened a lot when I first tried it, but eventually one stuck. I'm not sure why. You're setting the parameters so it still has mountains, right? if a race doesn't have a valid biome to appear in, you won't get it. Hence no humans or elves.

I don't recall the exact temperature, it's been a long time. I do remember it wasn't THAT hot. At least not everywhere. I think I set the range to 80-100, but don't take that at face value.
 I do know I eventually managed to get worlds with no surface water whatsoever, not even the odd lake, and a single big mountain range covering the cold zone to cover up the obligatory tundra. It was only hot enough to melt beards off at the southernmost/hottest end of the world.
The world was also small, 65x65. That may or may not be relevant.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:33:33 pm by Blastbeard »
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »

Okay, so I made a less insta-deathy world, but it had a whole load of oceans and scrubland, which isn't the barren waste of a planet I was looking for. I've regenned using what I've learned, and now I have a world mostly dominated by The Desert of Queens, which is Serene and Mirthful the whole way through.

Aaaaand-

Perfect.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:10:02 pm »

So, a few things happened:

- Everyone's clothes burned off

- A cloud of soot came rolling in

- Every single animal melted

- Two dwarves attempted to stay by the wagon and followed suit

So now the Jeweler is throwing tantrums due to his hot head boiling up, and the survivors are holed up in the surprising easy-to-reach caverns. It seems to be cool enough in there that nobody will be falling apart at the seams anytime soon. Going to try and get at least the plump helmet seeds inside.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:13:58 pm »

Hmm, just thought of something...probably not completely in line with what you have in mind but an interesting subject.

Try to keep the population unhappy - without your fortress crumbling in a tantrum spiral.
So I mean, unhappy in a STABLE sort of way. Could it be done?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »

Oh, right, oceans. I set the elevation high enough that oceans wouldn't appear either. about 60-ish. If you don't want to deal with a single massive good/evil region, you could either turn down that parameter or increase the number of subregions. THe one I did had no large or medium good/evil regions but some small ones.

Sounds like you're playing at a much higher temperature than what I had, whatever it was. The upside of this is that any invaders that come calling are going to fry. Downside is no surface animals to catch and train. At least you won't have giant desert scorpions.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:01 pm »

"It has started raining."

Okay, everyone's running around in fits due to the accelerated decomposition of the slain creating tons of miasma, and it is officially too hot on the cavern floor for a plot of farmland to remain constructed.

... Time to change parameters.

EDIT:

Okay, Hot means no sunbaking, Aquifer means I have a chance, Haunted means I don't.

Armok be with them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:58:24 pm by DreamCarver »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:33 pm »

I think maxing out subregions would ensure only some parts of the endless desert are evil. I think. It also makes the sands a different color, if you care.

...Wait a rope-reed picking minute, who or what's founding hamlets in the middle of a desert?

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:06 pm »

Looks to be an intrepid band of humans living on one of the few prairies of the world.

Okay, so one case of digger mortis, a husk-wipe, a reclaim, and a hurried shutting off of the outside world later, the dwarves of Boltbasements are 5 strong and walling off the caverns. Oh boy.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 11:56:55 pm »

I've got another Challenge:
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 11:35:14 am »

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 02:57:09 pm »

Colonize a glacier. No restrictions on embark preparations, but you are forbidden from creating any rooms in anything other than the ice layers (placing plots ON the top level of rock is okay, if you can get it muddy). You can breach the caverns to access trees and shrubs, but no farming down there. Bonus points for copious Ice-based constructions, and for Evil or Good glaciers.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »

Colonize a glacier. No restrictions on embark preparations, but you are forbidden from creating any rooms in anything other than the ice layers (placing plots ON the top level of rock is okay, if you can get it muddy). You can breach the caverns to access trees and shrubs, but no farming down there. Bonus points for copious Ice-based constructions, and for Evil or Good glaciers.
I've tried this one, but the ice runs out very fast. I even tried making more by pumping water from below, out into exposed channels. Turns out you need 1 pump per block of ice created - it won't flow and slowly freeze, it's instantaneous. Which means that when you run out of natural ice to use for constructions, you have to build a rather huge setup and exploit the dwarven quantum reactor in order to generate narrow strips of ice. Then you have to turn off the pumps (so as to not kill your miners) and set all that ice to be mined, then you have to construct something with that exact amount of ice (because you cannot set stockpiles for it), then wait for construction to finish before you make more ice.

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth. You're better off adding a custom reaction to a smeltery that makes a boulder of ice out of nothing, if that's even possible. I deemed the all-ice construction in permafrost conditions to be a rather horrible experience.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

I've tried this one, but the ice runs out very fast. I even tried making more by pumping water from below, out into exposed channels. Turns out you need 1 pump per block of ice created - it won't flow and slowly freeze, it's instantaneous. Which means that when you run out of natural ice to use for constructions, you have to build a rather huge setup and exploit the dwarven quantum reactor in order to generate narrow strips of ice. Then you have to turn off the pumps (so as to not kill your miners) and set all that ice to be mined, then you have to construct something with that exact amount of ice (because you cannot set stockpiles for it), then wait for construction to finish before you make more ice.

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth. You're better off adding a custom reaction to a smeltery that makes a boulder of ice out of nothing, if that's even possible. I deemed the all-ice construction in permafrost conditions to be a rather horrible experience.
Actually, you made it much more difficult than it needed to be (and I've attempted that way before too).  The easy way is to designate the layer above where you want the wall as a pond.  One bucket makes an ice floor, and the second makes a wall.  The only problem is that you WILL get dwarves, dogs, children, etc. encased in some of your ice walls.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3