Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Give me a challenge!  (Read 3928 times)

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
Give me a challenge!
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

I've been out of the game for a while, and while I'm certainly not a very good player, I think it might be !!fun!! to receive an idea or two from you guys. Embark site conditions, dwarf skills, and wagon contents are all fair game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:59:07 pm by DreamCarver »
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Give me a challenge!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:51:45 pm »

--Practically unwinnable challenge--

Evil Embark with huskifying dust and auto undead on freezing biome (maximum savagery)
NO PICKS-- You cannot dig, ever.
ONE stone boulder
Become mountainhome
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:53:18 pm by wierd »

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:52:35 pm »

ALL DWARVES ARE MILKERS

SPEND ALL YOUR POINTS ON COWS AND 3 LOGS
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:44 pm »

For animals, only bring rabbits and cavies --> only produce a skull when butchered, no meat.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:35 pm »

ALL DWARVES ARE MILKERS

SPEND ALL YOUR POINTS ON COWS AND 3 LOGS

Pffff, you don't even need to buy logs. Just deconstruct the wagon.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »

Here's a pair of things I've done in the past. Try them yourself.

The Dwarves of Dune:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Big Bridge:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:17:49 am »

Evil Biome no-pick mountainhome? I'm bold, but nowhere near ready to even attempt such a feat.

Arrakeen Dwarves sounds like it'll be interesting. Will attempt an enbark and post results later.
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:02:35 am »

I've been out of the game for a while, and while I'm certainly not a very good player, I think it might be !!fun!! to receive an idea or two from you guys. Embark site conditions, dwarf skills, and wagon contents are all fair game.
An embark so cold you won't get caravans or animal invaders.
Partial aquifer
No surface water
No surface trees
Only specific dwarf skills allowed on embark are Appraiser, Organizer, and Record Keeper.
Only things you're allowed to bring is a rope, bucket, pick and axe for equipment.
40 each of meat/drink (like rat meat + dwarven ale)  can be brought.
All seeds & wood must be obtained from the caverns.

yeah, I think that's tough enough. :)

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:09 am »

An embark so cold you won't get caravans or animal invaders.
Partial aquifer
No surface water
No surface trees
Only specific dwarf skills allowed on embark are Appraiser, Organizer, and Record Keeper.
Only things you're allowed to bring is a rope, bucket, pick and axe for equipment.
40 each of meat/drink (like rat meat + dwarven ale)  can be brought.
All seeds & wood must be obtained from the caverns.

yeah, I think that's tough enough. :)

I like the sound of that!
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:14:11 am »

Use DFhack to embark on the open ocean. Bring anything. Build/Accomplish anything. All dwarves will need at least competent swimmer. Ocean in climate that never gets cold enough to freeze water recommended.
Easymode: Embark in a climate where the ocean will be frozen in spring, giving you time to build things with slightly more ease before the thaw comes and the difficulty autoadjusts to man mode. Frilly dress and receptacle to store your detached manhood not included.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 01:18:06 am »

If it freezes in the spring, it is theoretically plausible that they could dig down into the ice, and embed the fortress in the ocean floor, then construct a "tube" up to the surface.

Doing this in a hot biome ensures waterpark fun.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 01:23:19 am »

If it freezes in the spring, it is theoretically plausible that they could dig down into the ice, and embed the fortress in the ocean floor, then construct a "tube" up to the surface.

Doing this in a hot biome ensures waterpark fun.
Okay, now I have to try this myself. I have to choose the impossible.
"Is a dwarf not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No', says the dwarf in the mountainhome..."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 01:42:13 am »

It is unlikely that the tube can be constructed before the thaw.

You will need to dig a series of up/down staircases in the ice until the ocean floor, mine out the tile next to the stairs at the bottom, then dig a channel to get a downramp. When you have something you can work with, you must put a hatch over over the ocean floor breach. This allows you to continue digging in the ocean floor after the ocean thaws above, without getting a waterpark ride until the winter, when it will freeze again. Then you can open the hatch cover, and construct the access tube to the surface using whatever stone you could process from the ocean floor sedimentary layers. The tube will have support from the ocean floor, so you can hang a surface dock with a bridge to the edge of the embark, and put the trade depot on it.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:19 am »

Dream,

Are you looking for ways to make the game harder on yourself, or a megaproject idea to keep you interested?

For Harder:
Conquer an aquifer.
- Additional: Waterproof your entry so the aquifer can be used to floodkill your enemies.

Find the HFS.
- Additional: Survive it.

Get a Forgotten Best Silk Farm
- Additional: Don't lose a dwarf doing so.

For 'interesting'
Create a sustained yarn farm (harder than it sounds)
- Additional: Don't grow pigtails and don't let a 100+ dwarf fortress be naked.

Learn Minecarts
- Additional: Don't use exploits like DWR or impulse ramps.  Move your ore via raw power sources (Windmills/rivers)

Build a proper military
- Additional: Don't use drawbridges as a last resort.

There's plenty of things in DF to keep you alert an interested if you break the turtle.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:55 am »

WanderingKid,

I'm just looking for an out-of-the-ordinary situation, to better prepare myself for dealing with these situations in proper forts.

Generating Arrakis now.

EDIT: Er, Blastbeard, I keep reaching the (Placing Civilizations) stage of generation, and the world gets thrown out. Clarify "High Temperatures", please? I think I might be boiling my prehistoric dwarves alive.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:50:31 am by DreamCarver »
Pages: [1] 2 3