Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is

no poll
anymore :]

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)  (Read 68852 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »

Sometimes it's just better to avoid a mission. I started doing this with Terror Missions in TFTD because..well lobsters and giant ships don't go well together (for me).

You also lost your Skyranger? I'm not sure how you're going to afford a replacement. Maybe sell an interceptor?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »

The skyranger is a perfectly good transport.

And really, it was just a tough mission.  Just remember, Cyberdisks are very resistant to explosives.  One easy mission and things will be fine.  I don't remember the alien OOB exactly, but there was probably only one guy there capable of doing the mind-control thing.

Hmm, with the original X-Com Cyberdisks were actually easier to kill using explosives since they took up multiple squares and could get hit multiple times. No idea if that's the case with OpenXcom or not, though.

As far as avoiding missions go, remember that you get a much lower reputation hit for going to a mission and immediately dusting off than you do if you don't respond at all. So sometimes that's the best thing you can do, although obviously it's better to actually win or get loot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »

The skyranger is a perfectly good transport.

And really, it was just a tough mission.  Just remember, Cyberdisks are very resistant to explosives.  One easy mission and things will be fine.  I don't remember the alien OOB exactly, but there was probably only one guy there capable of doing the mind-control thing.

Hmm, with the original X-Com Cyberdisks were actually easier to kill using explosives since they took up multiple squares and could get hit multiple times. No idea if that's the case with OpenXcom or not, though.
I believe the entry for them states that they're explosive-resistant, but that this isn't actually reflected in their in-game stats.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »

Some time after the fight...

: "Sir, we've done a full inspection of the infiltrator's quarters and discovered two things you might find of note."

: "The first appears to be a digital message that was in the process of being encrypted with some strange algorithm. Having the data and encrypter on hand, we managed to halt and reverse the process to find what appears to be tactical intel directed towards the enemy. As to if it has already been sent or not, we're not sure at this point."
: "The second was upon further inspection of its quarters, we found a distressed man tied up in the closet. How he was smuggled in by the infiltrator is still under question, but theories are that he was supposedly the original recruit."

Name: Jim Billy Joe Bob
Want: Ta keel 'em alieum varmits fer tyin' me up!
Need: Sum gun ta blow 'em all up ta hell!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2014, 10:47:13 pm »

Hmm.  Well, not certain about the explosion thing.  I know they go boom if you hit them with enough explosions, but you have to hit them with a lot of explosions to bring them down.  I know they're somewhat resistant to each other's explosions..

As for the reputation hit, the terror mission thing is mostly due to the alien's score rather than your own.  Ignoring a terror mission is worth a lot to the aliens, so doing anything, dusting right off, getting wiped, is a lot better than ignoring one completely.

The TFTD lobstermen cruise ship mission is reknown, so another thing entirely.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:43 am »

I want to join this slaughterfest of murder madness.

Name: Irwin Sodbestie
Preferences: Grenades and rifles
Bio: An ENTIRELY ORDINARY civilian who has definetly NOT been imprisoned due to murder, arson and theft and is an ENTIRELY ORDINARY, RESPECTABLE, HARD-WORKING MAN JUST TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:31 pm »

"Sheeeit, mang," Baño muttered to himself, standing out in the common area of the base.
Whispers of the latest mission had been trickling out from the command room, and the occasional raised voice could be heard even from where he and the other newest recruits were gathered. The reports of what happened were enough to kill any cheerful discussion, that's for sure. "That don' sound good."

He tucked his hands in his pockets nervously, and waited. He was committed, now, he'd signed up- he just hoped it was worth it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:51 pm »

No update tonight since I am worn-to-the-bone tired. We'll see how the next few days go.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »

Yoink, you are aware of the meaning of the word baño in Spanish, right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »

Name: Undiscernable. Suspected to be some variety of screen name, containing a combination of the letters Z and X, underscores, and the phrases "Pro" "420" and "Noscope".
Preferences (weapons, stats, etc): Things for killing. Don't give him a medkit.
Bio: A smelly, unkempt man who arrived at XCOM HQ shortly after the failed mission in India, claiming to have "leet pro skillz" and that he will do terrible things to the alien's mothers. Of unknown age and background (suspected to be from USA, but claim is unverified until the various layers of grease have been peeled off of his ID), but at least he knows which end of the gun to point where... right?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »

Yoink, you are aware of the meaning of the word baño in Spanish, right?
I suspect so.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2014, 07:32:00 pm »

Yes. :))
* Yoink has the mentality of a six-year-old when it comes to toilet humour.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »

In a darkened corner of the general stores, a chain rattles. Workers move away from a series of faux-wooden crates wrapped in chains, one of them beginning to bow and warp rhythmically. The crate, beginning to splinter, is labeled “II,” and the faux-wood of the crate presses against its bonds violently. The crates had been loaded from all corners of the globe, “II” had just come back from a mission in Venezuela before it was shipped to XCOM’s Japan base. The chains fall, clattering to the concrete floor, as the faux-wood strips itself away from the contents of the crate, vaporizing. A glass cylinder, holding a young soldier dressed in XCOM fatigues. On the soldier’s forehead is tattooed the same symbol found on the crate. “II”. II has come to destroy, just as it had always done. II has awakened. II hungers. II. The symbol pounds like a heartbeat. II. II. II. The cylinder opens with wisps of teal steam, and evanesces as the crate did, both vanishing as if they never existed. Footfalls of heavy boots echo throughout the storage facility. Clomp. Clomp. II. A magazine is loaded into an assault rifle. Click click. II. A replacement Maxclone has arrived to kill and eat the aliens. II.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »

That was awesome.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2014, 09:47:04 am »

Cyberdisks need laser pistols (at least) to reliably kill.  Or a ton of concentrated fire, that sometimes works too.

So the best strategy is to start researching laser pistols from day one, then try to manufacture a couple before your first terror mission.  I've got to download OpenXcom, looks good!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43