Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you bother making stuff the liason asks for export?  (Read 2084 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you bother making stuff the liason asks for export?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:28:41 am »

When they ask for crutches, I cackle in delight and make as many out of gold as I can be bothered to at the time of their asking.

... Why anyone would desire a solid gold crutch for ease of movement, I will never know.

Nobels would surely appreciate fancy walking sticks such as those, as would warriors who refused to take the "one of your legs don't work no more" hint to leave the army (until we have wepons deform from use, a gold crutch is sure to be a bone snapper!)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:49 am »

When they ask for crutches, I cackle in delight and make as many out of gold as I can be bothered to at the time of their asking.

... Why anyone would desire a solid gold crutch for ease of movement, I will never know.

Nobels would surely appreciate fancy walking sticks such as those, as would warriors who refused to take the "one of your legs don't work no more" hint to leave the army (until we have wepons deform from use, a gold crutch is sure to be a bone snapper!)

A little heavier than gold, but still...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 12:41:29 am »

Platinum crutches are definitely awesome.

Fakeedit: NINJA'D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »

I would really like to know why you guys trade at all. The only thing I ever bought is sand and exotic animals.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »

I would really like to know why you guys trade at all. The only thing I ever bought is sand and exotic animals.
Exotic animals OP! Also, getting steel for iron less embarks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »

I tend to forget to brew booze and my embarks are often mineral poor. I also import alot of wood regardless of biome, because I rely on melee troops to deal with most threats and like having lots of trees for them to use as cover when advancing on enemy rangers.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

I tend to buy various bits and pieces my own fort doesn't produce (certain cloth & thread types, sometimes glass). Animals are ok, but I tend to just stick with Pigs and a small number of Sheep.

I also buy stone if it's available and I'm having difficulty with an Aquifer.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »

Leather and foodstuffs. Food adds variety and keeps the cook busy and trained. Leather: bump every type of leather up one notch, and you get one bin of every kind of leather. Enough to make all your quivers, bags, backpacks, and clothes for the whole fortress, except socks which must be cloth.

Also, topside seeds from humans and elves.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:53:01 pm »

The trade caravan would have to stop being an infinite item generator, and each civilization would have to have resource consumption tracking to make it really work realistically, and that would make the game tremendously more difficult. (But in the good way I think.)

For now though, I just ignore it. --Just that eventually, I expect I will be forced to stand up and take notice at some point in the future. Just not now.

If this ever happens, I will play until the Dwarven civilization has stripped every ounce of metal from the earth.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

Speaking of caravans, I had an elf trade caravan come by when my depot had been destroyed by a forgotten beast. Until everything was moved out of it, they couldn't build it (hey, I only have 5 dwarves, it takes a while...) in time. Now my elves just all went stark raving mad or berserk. Inexplicably. They never even came down to my depot Z-level, just stayed 2 levels above.

Any ideas? It's not like they had to stay too long because of what I sold them...
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »

The insane/melancholy ones should slowly make their way to the map edge if you let them out. The berserk ones... well, I have no idea if they'll make their way to the map edge on their own or not, but if they don't move, you'll either have to deal with them yourself or the caravan guards of the next caravan will deal with them.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:25:14 pm »

Caravans generally screw themselves up and go bonkers when there's no depot on your site. Even a completely inaccessible depot will keep them sane, but a dwarven fort that does not cherish trade, that won't even build a depot in the first place? Inconceivable! What heresy against everything the traders' guild holds sacred! It's enough to drive an honest merchant insane!
Unfortunately, merchants driven insane by your anti-capitalist ways won't go away on their own, they'll just stay on the map until they perish.

I always spend the minute or two to sort through the trade orders. I generally order a lot of leather - a good material for most clothes, shields and bags; as well as some of the more precious gems (nice if you can get them included in moods), metal ores i don't have, flux stones if my embark is missing them (rare, but it happens), various colourful stones for colour-coded levers or special furniture, and usually the cloth types that can't usually be produced in large amounts locally, i.e. silk and wool.

If i feel like it, i also order a bunch of types of milk for cheesemaking.

I generally don't pay attention to the civ's desires. The various no-quality items generally aren't worth producing for export: who cares if yak hair threads are up 40% this year, they'll still only be worth 8 or 9☼ instead of six. Usually, some kind of craft or a common clothing item is also in high demand, and i'll happily take the extra haggling margin that offers, but don't bother looking such stuff up in advance.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

I was under the impression that the value of Lavish Meals was to be considered a bug/exploit ???  If you make a point of not selling them, acquiring enough goods for trade in the early years can be slightly more challenging.  My latest trade agreement placed the highest value on leather waterskins, which I have been churning out by the barrel, as I'm curious just how much the desire modifier affects base value of otherwise mundane crafts.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 12:54:22 am »

Eh, pretty much any time anyone figures out an effective tactic, someone else calls it an exploit because it makes the game easier. You can really only call something an exploit if it gains you a large advantage by using game mechanics in clearly unintended ways. Deconstructing the trade depot to steal all the goods is an exploit, for instance. Meals work exactly as intended, for better or worse. DF just isn't finely balanced yet.
Pages: 1 [2]