Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old wounds and cause of death discrepancies  (Read 1501 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old wounds and cause of death discrepancies
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:08 am »

A while back I had a mystery death where a soldier died in a forgotten beast attack, but she was listed as slain by a spear.  I eventually chalked it up to a random, odd occurrence.  Then tonight, I noticed a discrepancy in Legends mode for one of my dragons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are a couple of FBs that I'll never forget and Engror is one of them.  It definitely wasn't the one that killed Istrath.  When the two fought, the dragon won, though Engror gave Istrath a broken nose that never healed.  The dragon died two decades later fighting another forgotten beast. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One note in particular from the old thread seems even more likely now.

I theorize the whole body bleeding out was processed by the game as bleeding from the last recorded significant stab wound.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:51:11 am by VerdantSF »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Old wounds and cause of death discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:46:02 am »

By any chance was some necromancy involved?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:55 am »

When the two fought, the dragon won, though Engror gave Istrath a broken nose that never healed.  The dragon died two decades later
Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/n877fayk3IQ
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:02:25 pm »

By any chance was some necromancy involved?

Other than the hint of thread necro by linking an older discussion, nope.  Neutral biome, no necromancers.

Reminds me of this: http://youtu.be/n877fayk3IQ

I'm at work without headphones :(.  What's the gist of the vid?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:05:37 pm by VerdantSF »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:38 pm »

My bet is on an infection. Broken fingers, toes etc often don't heal, then they get infected later and lead to death. I've had quite a few hunters die many years after they sustained injuries. They are still listed as "slain by" the animal they got the injury from, even if it was years earlier.
In one fort I have a marksdwarf who broke his toes 20 or 25 years ago, they still haven't healed and there is dwarf pus at the well from time to time, so I guess it's just a matter of time.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »

Did your dragon fight anything else between those two FBs?

Seems like the game remembers what the last thing was that hit the creature even if the creature lives after that fight, so it could die of infection long after the fight.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:22:28 pm »

OP

That looks like an infection that came through the nose and eventually caused the lungs to shut down. If its not just an error.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »

Did your dragon fight anything else between those two FBs?

Seems like the game remembers what the last thing was that hit the creature even if the creature lives after that fight, so it could die of infection long after the fight.

Yup, Istrath got into plenty of fights during that time.  He guarded the entrance to the Caverns and there were quite a few forgotten beasts over the years that tried to get past him.  However, none gave him any significant wounds compared to Engror, except for Tob, the one that killed him (and three other adult dragons :().

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »

If it indeed was an infection, you don't need significant injuries for those. A broken nose could certainly be it.
I had a dwarf getting an infection from crundle scratches and dying years later. The crundle in question even got a name posthumously, when all what was left of him were a few bone crafts in a treasure vault.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 01:53:39 pm »

Did the infection finish the dwarf on its own or did another wound trigger it?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 02:02:37 pm »

In that case it was the infection I think. He seemed fine for years, didn't get wounded otherwise, suddenly developed an infection and died. I would have to look up whether the infection was mentioned in his slab or in legends mode, but I distinctly remember that he was "slain by" a named crundle a few years after running into a bunch of crundles and suffering mild injuries.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:06:47 pm »

The dragon's death may have been an infection, but the older wound was definitely triggered by the last fight.  Perhaps if a creature's health is brought under a certain threshold, any old infections can immediately take fatal effect.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »

Yeah, might be something like that. Maybe the broken nose was enough to suffocate him with other wounds weakening him or something.

I looked up that dwarf I mentioned, and while he was "slain by" that crundle his slab also says that he "succumbed to infection". There was another hunter who I think also died of infection and whose slab does not mention it, but I don't really remember that anymore.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 05:12:14 pm »

I have had a similar thing happen, where a goblin had attacked my fortress, been struck down and 3 years later took credit for 5 more deaths.What I think happened is that the goblin injured each dwarf, and the dwarfs were later struck down by a deadly dust, and the game didn't really know how to attribute the kill.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100196.msg2959901#msg2959901

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:08:06 pm »

I'm at work without headphones :(.  What's the gist of the vid?
The janitor just says, "You're stupid," nothing more.

So JD says, "That's it?".

"Give it time, it'll sink in."

Much later, JD and Elliot are at lunch and he asks, "am I stupid?"

To which Elliot replies, "yeah, a little bit."

"Damn him!"
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.