Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have a Dwarf and booze related question...  (Read 1086 times)

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a Dwarf and booze related question...
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:54:21 pm »

Hi guys!

At times, my dwarves refuse to make booze so they don't bloody dehydrate during the winter months. I do have the brewry skill enabled, and I have plump helmets that are fully grown and in the stockpile. But I am constantly getting this message:

'Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink: needs distillable item'

Is there something that I'm not doing right, or is just a random glitch?

Cheers

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: I have a Dwarf and booze related question...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »

Likely, the plump helmet barrels are being dragged to the fields in order to collect plump helmets. This makes the contents unusable until the barrel is set down.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:14 pm »

Ah okay, that makes sense.

And I just realised that it doesn't help when your dorfs eat the plump helmets as soon as they are brought to the stockpile.... Any way to prevent them from eating the plump helmets? Would I just use the forbid option on it, or would that prevent them from brewing it?

Cheers

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:05 pm »

Nope, no protecting food yet. Try giving them more variety? Or micromanage  locking doors.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:03:35 pm »

Damn, are they going to implement it in the next version, or is still one of those things that may come along in a future release?

And I have a bunch of prepped meals. Interesting how they'll eat plump helmets instead of stew...

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:54:35 pm »

Try doing for plant stockpiles like you do for seed stockpiles - use links so that the farms give to stockpile HARVEST, which then gives to stockpile BREW, which then gives to the still.  Toggle only take from links, make sure the stockpiles are not too big (6 - 9 squares each should be plenty for a new fort).  Now the harvesters will take the barrel from HARVEST to pick helmets in the field, but will leave the barrel alone in BREW so that the sill can have a ready supply.

Hope this helps.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

nick56x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 10:56:03 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that.

So annoying when you're out of drink with 40+ Dwarves, and have only a few plump helmets. And every few seconds, the farmer'll take the barrel away to harvest more.

Thanks!

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:02 pm »

4maskwolf had it right: Grow some varieties of plants that can't be eaten raw. This will ensure that you'll always have something to brew.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:42 am »

To avoid the pain of having to re-order a brew of drinks manually in the still any time Urist McDumbarse grabs the barrel with all the shrooms you could make the order through the manager. That way even if it's cancelled, the manager will re-make the order automatically.
Feeling down? Click Here!

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:07:13 am »

True, that will work, but only for 30 times (unless you micro-manage).  That is why there is a "workflow" option in DFHack -- DFHack has some cheats available, but I don't see workflow as a cheat.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:55 am »

Make more plump helmets by bigger farm plots ?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »

For batches larger than 30, you just queue up multiple jobs on the manager. It does the exact same thing.

Eg, you want 100 brew runs?

Brew plant 30
Brew plant 30
Brew plant 30
Brew plant 10

The manager will do each production run in sequence, dividing that run amongst the available workshops that can service the order. When the order is complete, he does the next one. Again, this is logically the same thing as one big order of 100.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 12:29:13 pm »

A good way to help streamline your food/booze/planting productions (and to help the cooks make more varied meals) is to separate your food stockpiles into three types - raw/unprocessed food, drinks/syrup, and seeds.  The raw/unprocessed accepts everything but Drinks, Extracts, and Seeds, the Seeds pile accepts only seeds, and the drinks/syrup only takes drinks and things like dwarven syrup that needs to be in barrels.  Then I disallow barrels in everything except the Drinks pile.

This prevents spam from "Urist McBrewer Cancels Brew Drink: Urist McHauler is lugging the plump helmet barrel around" and its cousin "Urist McPlanter can't plant cause some other dumbass had the seed barrel", and makes cooks actually grab various ingredients to use instead of grabbing one barrel and emptying it out.  If you keep on top of your food industry, it should also keep the stockpile pretty clean.

Prepared food and dyes are also separated out to the dining room and clothing industry sector, respectively.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:31:01 pm by Clover Magic »

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »

For batches larger than 30, you just queue up multiple jobs on the manager. It does the exact same thing.

Eg, you want 100 brew runs?

Brew plant 30
Brew plant 30
Brew plant 30
Brew plant 10

The manager will do each production run in sequence, dividing that run amongst the available workshops that can service the order. When the order is complete, he does the next one. Again, this is logically the same thing as one big order of 100.
Of course.  But you still have to micro-manage it: you have to keep re-adding 100 brew plant commands.  The manager works great for, "I want to make 40 tables and 40 chairs for the dining room," not as much for, "I want to make sure there is always drinks available."
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

The manager works great for, "I want to make 40 tables and 40 chairs for the dining room," not as much for, "I want to make sure there is always drinks available."

Right, but that's not what the manager is for. That's what you are for as the fortress overseer ;)
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: [1] 2