Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 328825 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Opposing forces
« Reply #465 on: February 15, 2014, 05:16:39 pm »

((Okay i really expected chases to go off the speed skill because i assumed thats what its for, should tge faster characters be able to chase things and flee faster?

Even without the penalties its still a 6 against a 1, i should have tried shooting him before he even took 3 steps.

If i instagibbed myself with a spell, i can understand that... just clearly state that ive done it, dont leave it to interpretation.))

Back on the waitlist i guess.
3 dex
3 str
2 spd
1 end
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 15, 2014, 05:23:19 pm »

((Okay i really expected chases to go off the speed skill because i assumed thats what its for, should tge faster characters be able to chase things and flee faster?

Even without the penalties its still a 6 against a 1, i should have tried shooting him before he even took 3 steps.

If i instagibbed myself with a spell, i can understand that... just clearly state that ive done it, dont leave it to interpretation.))

Back on the waitlist i guess.
3 dex
3 str
2 spd
1 end
I'm utterly sorry then, I thought that with all the convulsioning it was enough.

And, also, the original speed roll was taken into account. He rolled a 4 and you a 2, so he has an initial advantage of 2, then he rolled a 1 and you six, so your advantage was of 6(you roll)-1(his roll)-2(previous advantage)=3

I'm doing a chase roll for every room you have to go through (the room you arrive to doesn't count).

And chases go off the speed stat, but when all of you have a -1, then it doesn't matter that -1, as it is the same for everyone.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 15, 2014, 05:26:35 pm »

And now?

I flee! To the portal room, and beyond!
The nearest thing to beyond is to jump into the portal. Be careful with what you write.
Which is why i carefully didn't bold that part of the sentence.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:07 pm »

As best I can tell it's made of undead flesh. Which should be flammable.
Black biometal, maybe?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »

As best I can tell it's made of undead flesh. Which should be flammable.
Black biometal, maybe?
I'll leave it to the players to make a theory about that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 15, 2014, 07:26:11 pm »

Beat Eric to death with the club!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 16, 2014, 12:57:43 am »

"...a..?"

Bigf01t looks at the short silver guy, then the tall thin guy, then at his empty hand that once held a morning-star, and finally at his other hand that feels like it had lots of blood drawn to his fingertips.

"What."

He feels as if his magical ability is more drained than it by all rights should be, he only said one word, didn't he? Or did he?

He tries to remember if he said any other words, or if anyone nearby heard them. Other than that there is science that needs to be done. For the people who are still alive. Doing science and still alive. Mostly.

((I like how me and Derm ended up attacking the dark elf... Hilarious!))
((Also, whoever has the humanoid word, wanna trade with the scientist of the pit? PM me.))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:11:33 am by Bigf00t »
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:35 am »

Change to the turn 018

After checking all the turn to see if I had missed something, I realized that indeed I did: the -1 dex malus for dodging over the bottomless pit. While in most of the situations this would have not changed much, the turn of events made this little -1 be a really important thing. I could have just ignored this, but I decided to go for the most fair path, even if I risk my GM integrity for having to change a turn again. But let's see how the Outcast Wizard's was saved because of it:

On the Other hand, The Outcast Wizard manages to catch Romek and fire his spell at him:

[Outcast pot:6+1=7]
[Outcast dex:2]
[Romek dex:2-1=1]
[Romek end:1]
[Outcast end:1-1=0]
[Beat your pot end:2-1=1]

The Outcast Wizard points at Romek, who decides that not moving is a better alternative than risking to fall into the pit. When The Outcast Wizard says his words, a thunderbolt comes out of his hand, or, to say better, appears between his hand and Romek. Both of them recieve the electrical discharge, but the Wizard, who was on the beginning end of it, was the one to be affected the most. Romek, on the other hand, could feel how alll his limbs were getting numb, and how his big bear was getting fuzzy. After the discharge, both combatants end up barely being able to move.

Outcast Wizard:
[Paralysis]
Romek:
[Paralysis]

So, what happened? Romek's incompetence made him absorb a tiny part of the spell, thus saving Outcast Wizard from frying himself. The Outcast Wizard still got the most of the spell, because he litterally almost touching it and failed in beating his pot roll.

Also, the dex rolls was just to determine if the Outcast Wizard pointed accurately at Romek, because you just don't dodge electricity.

Now I feel the need to eplain certain things to you guys, because you have stated that you don't understand certain things (and now that I read again the turn, I know why). So, let's analyze what happened with all those rolls:

Roll to determine intensity of the spell:
[Outcast pot:6+1=7]

Rolls to determine if the spell hits (in this particular case of electricity)
[Outcast dex:2]
[Romek dex:2-1=1]

Roll to determine Romek's exposure:
[Romek end:1]

Rolls to determine The Outcast Wizard's exposure:
[Outcast end:1-1=0]
[Beat your pot end:2-1=1]

What does the Beat your pot mechanic do? It is a second chance to lower the probabilities of the caster from getting hurt from it's onw spells (when they are targeted).

It works like this:
1) Caster rolls for pot.
2) Caster rolls for appropiate stat to reduce exposure. If the stat is dex, then the same roll used for targeting is used.
a) If 1<2, then no damage is applied.
b) If 1>2, then the difference between 1 and 2 is doubled and 2) is rolled again. If 2) is higher than that number, no damage is applied, if not, the difference is applied as damage.

The system halves the probability of getting hurt for balanced characters, but, on the other hand, can't do much for those who have differences between the pot roll and the other roll.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 16, 2014, 03:40:27 pm »

be alive, attempt to recover.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 17, 2014, 12:23:49 am »

Do my turn things, and if opportunity presents itself, help poor old Unholy away from the pit, maybe to the nice, safe, cozy portal room, where he can watch the deathmatch between the ultimate forces of light and dark, in peace.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 17, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »

Keeping the same turn as I was planning to use prior to this.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 18, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »

Turn 019

!!SCIENCE AGAIN!!

You keep investigating this illogical phenomenon dubbed as magic.

[Pot:6+1=7]
A huge pile of hair appears in front of you.

[Pot:1+1=2]
You think that you just saw a little spark.

[Pot:5+1=6]
A lot of thoughts rush through your mind. Random, unformed thoughts, that can't even be  interpreted, as you suspect that there is no meaning behind them, that they are just acts of a conscience, from a primitive one, or at least one that hasn't been developed.

That was weird.

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears and forms a shape. It is somewhat squarerish in shape.

[Pot:2+1=3]
Nothing happens

[Pot:4+1=5]
Nothing happens again. Huh.

The wooden pigs are just loitering around. Not that they actually need to eat, anyway.

Anyways.
Continue strangling attempts while limping.
Actual science this time. Try to hurt Eric with it.

And now?

I flee! To the portal room, and beyond!

Beat Eric to death with the club!

He tries to remember if he said any other words, or if anyone nearby heard them. Other than that

there is science that needs to be done. For the people who are still alive. Doing science and still alive. Mostly.

be alive, attempt to recover.

I think now would be a great time for science.

[DK spd:5]
[Eric spd:2-1=1]
[Thrakor spd:2-1=1]
[Bigf01t spd:2-1-1=0]
[Flimsy spd:4-1-1=2]
[Romek spd:2-2-1=-1] Turn lost!
[Outcast spd:6-2-1=3]

The Dragon Knight tries to choke Eric! He tries to flee, but The Dragon Knight is powered by anger now! He catches him before Eric can leave the room.

[DK Dex:4]
[Eric Dex:5-1=4]

But Eric manages to get rid of The Dragon Knight's grapple and tries to leave, but before that, he notices that the Dragon Knight is shouting something at him!

[Pot:1-1-1=-1]
Or at least he tried, as his pain made him mess up pretty badly what he was trying to say. So badly that he bit his own tongue in the process, which unfortunately increased the pain again.

The DK goes back to [Heavy pain]

((I honestly didn't thought that someone would ever get to negative pot rolls))

Meanwhile, Thrakor decides that he wants to kill him too!

Chase:

[Eric spd:4-1=3]
[Thrakor spd:5[/abbr]-1=4]

He catches him past Romek over the bottomless pit and brings him club back at him:

[Thrakor Dex:4]
[Eric Dex:5-1-1-1=3]

[Thrakor str:2-1=1]

But being mostly a weakling, he didn't achieve anything besides bothering Eric, who kept rushing to the Portal room. Whooaa. That blue lights show is amazing.

The Outcast Wizard, meanwhile, could overcome the numbness that he felt and decided to end his fight with Romek: by trying to push him into the abyss.

[Outcast dex:6-1+1=6]
[Romek dex:5-1=4]

[Outcast str:2]
[Romek str:1]

Despite the fact that both of them were really weak due to the numbness on their bodies, The Outcast Wizard managed to push him to the ledge!

[Romek dex:5-1=4]

He managed to hang from the ledge without falling, yet.

[Cliffhanger]

The Flimsy Wizard was calmly looking outside of the Portal Room when he noticed an opportunity to do science. There was some guy with a fuzzy beard that looked pretty unable to move, handging from a cliff, so he decided to do science. Because using humans as lab rats is still science, screw ethics.

[Flimsy pot:1+2=3]
[Flimsy dex:1-1=0]
[Romek dex:4-1-1-2=-1]
[Romek Wil:3]

While Romek was too busy trying not to die, The Flimsy Wizard tried to look at him, but, due to horrible coordination issues he ended up looking almost at the bridge. Luckily, there were Romek's hands. His right hand begun to emit a glow, but it faded away pretty quickly. Huh.

Romek didn't even realize what happened.

Bigf01t, who was getting bored from the fight inside the portal room, mostly because nobody told him what was happened, also poked his head from the Portal room. He saw a guy hanging there. He looked to be in a pretty bad condition, actually. Okay, that's an easy victim nobody cares for.

[Bigf01t dex:4]
[Romek dex:6-2-1-1=2]

[Bigf01t str:2-1=1]

Despite Romek's best efforts, he was in a really bad condition to even attempt to dodge someone. Fortunately for him, Bigf01t's stomps felt like being accosted by a teddy bear. Annoying, but soft.

Bif01t, pretty much in a depressing cause for his wimpy condition, decided to help people instead, so he dragged The Outcast Wizard to the Portal Room.

Let's have a look at what is happening here:

Ah well. Once more!

[Dwarf spd:5-1=4]
[Elf spd:2+1=3]
[Derm spd:6]

Derm, who had joined the fight into the Dwarf's side, decided to try again. Because if someone falls into a pit full of fire and gets out like if nothing has happened, then you have to try again with the exact same thing.

[Derm Pot:6+1=7]
[Elf dex:2+1-1=2]

A huge chunk of rock below the Elf's feet begun to glow for a moment and then transformed into fire. The elf, again, couldn't react and promptly fell into it. He got up a short time after, the only visible change in him was that his left leg was slightly bended. But it didn't look as anything that could prevent him from doing anything, actually.

The Dwarf used the amazing opportunity of having to bludgeon someone at floor-level to bring his hammer onto the Elf:

[Dwarf dex:3-1-1=1]
[Elf dex:5+1[Already attacked!]-1[/abbr]=5]

But the Elf, was tricking him! He was drawing him closer, actually. He quickly jumped out of the pit and rushed the dwarf, who was holding his hammer over his head, a position that allows him to hit pretty strongly, but doesn't allow him to dodge much.

[Elf dex:2+1=3]
[Dwarf dex:2-1-1=1]

But the Elf's claws just slide off the Dwarf's surface.

Status effects update:
-Romek is no longer paralyzed.
-Romek's pain is now gone.
-Eric's Pain in his leg is gone.
-The Outcast Wizard's pain is now gone.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: darkpaladin 109 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Icefire2314 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unholy_Pariah. (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:02 pm »

It's quite a party now.  The less deadly combat is quite noticeable.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 18, 2014, 03:06:47 pm »

It's quite a party now.  The less deadly combat is quite noticeable.

Yes, it is. I didn't expect a lot of people on my game, actually. And I don't really like chunky salsa systems, too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »

Stupid dragon knight, why are you so useless?
And why does biting my tongue cause me to have a "random chance to...prevent limb usage"? It doesn't make sense!

Kick a wall in frustration. If still alive and conscious, head to the Portal Room and slump against a wall sadly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 197