Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: You are King: New Realms: IC Thread  (Read 12750 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King: New Realms: IC Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »

The problems of the region were complicated and pretty much started and ended on one thing - money. Just like the world could not live without the radiant golden disc in the sky, so do men can not live without the golden discs in their pockets. He could send letters to the capital, but there were more than few personas and ideas that Jawyn had to try.

Together with 1 noble levy begin scouring the countryside for bandits. Make my way to the capital as we go through the country.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2014, 12:46:27 pm »

Try to find any Northern tribesman in the city. See if they have any news about home. Explain that I am trying to find a worthy ruler to serve up north. Try to determine emotion of tribesman if found (got bonus for this).
[-] The simple thing is that there are no northern tribespeople in the city, which is probably for the best since if they were, there wouldn't be a city.

Use £2 to finish the restoration of Ciall. (Since 3 got us about 70% of the way there, 2 should finish the job.)
Raise 1 basic levy.

[5] The money you invest into the city seems to go much further than the priesthood's funds, deftly permeating into where it needs to go. While it is but a shadow of it's former self, the city is starting to look like a settlement rather than a burned husk. It'll take time for all the work to be finished, but it should be able to provide some funds once the new year comes. Of course, with the new addition of the city, some of the nobility are somewhat questioning if you shouldn't attempt to start reclaiming land, and possibly setting up your own duchy..

The city of Ciall is now at size 1!

[-] The levy is raised, though with some question as to why they were, since the levies are needed to keep the land from being overrun with bandits, and they'd assuredly head to the city to defend it if they have not being called to arms, and that the city guard can handle a few brigands in itself.

Together with 1 noble levy begin scouring the countryside for bandits. Make my way to the capital as we go through the country.
[2] You find no traces of any bandits as you head towards the capital, though they are more likely trying to avoid a fight with a foe that could reasonably best them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2014, 07:13:31 pm »

"Thank you miss. I...appreciate the gesture," came Aria's voice from behind the door, which opens soon after to show a quite ready noblewoman, who was quite ready thanks to how the Baron gave his reply. "and I am glad at his timing. Though, would you also be joining us in the meeting? I may have some news for him that may...not be to his liking.

"I'll be bringing my messenger, so that there wouldn't be any misconceptions anyway. The Duke wouldn't mind that, I hope."

Azthor-related action: To the meeting! Bring my messenger-buddy.

At the entrance of the site of the meeting, the finest inn of the city, the Duchess could see two fellows looking like servants, or perhaps guardsmen, standing by the door. Apparently not having seen the two nobles yet, they were discussing politics - rather loudly, at that, though seeming as how they never got a second look from the common folk walking around, it seemed they truly had no reason to be worried.

"...to finally have some promise of peace between the duchies. My sisters have been sending me a letter every month to see if I'd heard news about the claim on the vale... It'll be good to tell them things are looking up."

"I wouldn't count on it. The Duke isn't a very... Charismatic type, Geoff, and we both know he isn't liked by the valeri nobility. The marriage'll never happen - that claim is going to last for years, and eventually it'll blow up in another war, you can be sure of it."

"There's hardly a need to dramatize th-"

The so-called Geoff stopped talking when he saw the Duchess over his companion's shoulder, before resuming at twice his previous rate.

"My sincerest apologies, my Lady, I had not seen you. Let me invite you inside - we have a room prepared for the meeting..."

He opened the door of the inn and led the nobles inside, while the other one dashed away after a few words about going to inform the Duke of their arrival. The Duchess and her company were brought into a quiet room with a round table and two chairs around it.

"We were not aware that you would have someone accompany you, my Lady... Shall I fetch another chair for the honorable gentleman? The Duke will be coming shortly."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:13 pm »

Later on...at the Prince's meeting.

"[...]
"Aria, I am appointing you Home Secretary.  We need to rebuild our country; bring back trade, ensure there is food and work for our people.  As I see it, we need to rebuild our towns to get our craftsmen working again; we need to re-establish trade internally and with the wider world; and we need to start reclaiming the farmland burned or gone fallow in the war.  I want to hear where you feel our priorities should be on this, and where specifically we should be focusing money.  Keep an eye on Ciall; I daresay the Church will already have invested some money there, making our job easier."

...And I thank you too, milord, however I have forgotten who else may be in charge of the mercantile and economic connections since we last met on your coronation so I must say...
"I will do my best with this position, dear Prince. Expansion of labor, field and profession. I believe that we should do the same--focus on money--however we should also focus on our sources. Manpower and resource utilization. I feel that our seaports haven't been seeing much trade given our borders, and the fisheries are lacking in quality.

"But the issue of trade begins and ends with supply and demand. I will be sending a messenger to Ciall, or any of her authorities--but before any of that: A passing thought of a nationwide trade union hit me. Would the prospect of Mercantilism be advantageous to his Highness' eyes?"

The Prince coughed pointedly.  "Daggeroak, Canute, I would have your thoughts too.  No need to be silent, I have asked for your opinions and I'd rather have them before acting.  We cannot afford delays in these matters.

"Aria, I want you to perform a census; find out exactly what resources we do still have access to in the country and what we'll need to trade abroad for.  As for... mercantilism?"
  A distant look came to the Prince's eyes, as if he was reading something invisible directly in front of him.  "Building up the state at the expense of international trade, yes?  Risky, weak as we are, but vital as well.  Set moderate tarriffs, but only once we actually have trade re-established.  I want you to get in touch with Falken, Selridge and Drymark, your counterparts on their end.  See what it will take to open up trade with them again.

Meanwhile, I am prioritising military adventures.  Once the trade routes are clear, then we will rebuild the nation's economy.  Defense of the realm comes first.  Gentlemen, I want to train and establish a standing Royal Army, one that can move quickly to support the levies of the vassal estates.  If you have anything you wish to say on the matter, say it now, for I have already asked your counsel.  If not, I will be more despotic on the matter and simply implement it."

Once the meeting is concluded, the Prince meets with the ambassador from Drymark.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 04:29:43 pm »

The knightly retinue slowly approached capital, where most of the were scarcely few weeks ago. But as the country became a hive of activity, so did they have to lift their weapons and go to and fro, following thier lord.  The mass of horsemen remained behind the walls, where horses, servants and equipment were laid down while the knights themselves entered the city to live in more comfortable, paid quarters.

Jawyn had no free time to spend however, business occupied him. He made his was to the castle though the bustle of the town and directed his steps to the chambers of the current Home Secretary. If one thing was certain, the prince wasted no time in growing a bureaucracy of the country. On the other hand, maybe the times were moving forward and the feudal inefficiency was being driven out. Little did he know who the current Secretary was.

"Baronet Jawyn Landemourne, here to see the Home Secretary, if you please." He threw the name and request at the servant who stood by the entrance to the administrative wing.

Request meeting with Home Secretary.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »

As soon as Baron Landemourne enters the castle, Vytas was pacing beside him towards the Administrative Wing. His supple calf-leather boots squeaked with each step, a flowing silk tunic swished with each movement, but everyone now and then there was a faint, faint clank of steel beneath the armor. It was barely perceptible over the other noises his clothing made, lingering on the edge of hearing. No sheath adorns his belt, which is of some fine leather riveted with shiny, gilded steel.

The lordling takes a few moments, silently contemplating the Baron as the servant drifted through the thick door. His head was tilted. Dark eyes gleamed in the faint light before he turned to face the archway, and he found his voice soon after. Quite easily, quite polite, "Would you mind if I sat in on your meeting with the Home Secretary? I would like a meeting afterwards."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:25:36 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2014, 12:39:49 pm »

Jawyn noticed the Vytas and turned to him, showing a content smile. The knight was still dressed for travel, having scarcely the time to change and dust himself off. "Its good to see you. I presume you are still after learning the art of ruling?" The knight smirked. "I am pretty new to all of it too. I know only battlefield and iron, but it would seem that your royal brother has decided to do things in a more organized way." The comment was straightforward and without a hint of sarcasm or irony. 

"I will be happy to have you in the meeting. Maybe a word or two from your side will soften up the Home Secretary... whomever it might be. The Bountiful Lady knows that people of this country need some respite."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:48 am »

Taeyas reminded that the Prince that his request of one(1) unit of Crown troops, stationed in Elfsend under direct Crown control, has not been processed.

((next step highly dependent on how you respond.))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:05 am »

Taeyas reminded that the Prince that his request of one(1) unit of Crown troops, stationed in Elfsend under direct Crown control, has not been processed.

((next step highly dependent on how you respond.))

"Ah, forgive me.  I was distracted.  Upon examination of the court records for Elfsend, you in fact have two parcels' worth of arable land, and consequently an income of £2 per year, minus tax that's £1.6, and enough manpower to raise a levy of your own men.  Therefore, you should be able to raise a regiment under your own control easily enough.  Peasant levies, I'm afraid, but that should only cost you half a pound to raise.  If Elfsend comes under more direct assault or suspicion of more direct assault, you may ask for reinforcement.

"Now, if you will excuse me I must think on the matter of reconstruction.  There is a rather desperate shortage of architects and skilled builders at the moment, and I need to find someone to manage things."

Later, in the Council Chambers...

"Now, if we can turn to the matter of - DEAR GODS!  Guards, guards!"

The Daggeroak had gone purple in the face and was desperately clutching his throat.  As he collapsed from his chair a dozen guards burst into the room, weapons drawn, and rushed to the Prince's side.

"The court physician, immediately!  Go!"

A guard rushed out while another desperately tried to help the choking knight.  By the time the physician arrived, near a minute later, the hulking form had gone still.  The doctor examined him, then turned to the Prince with a grey face.

"He is dead, my liege."

"Poison?" asked the Prince.

"Ah, no."  The physician stuck his hand into the Daggeroak's gaping mouth and fished around for a moment before revealing a slightly bloody white bone.  "Fishbone.  Must have lodged in his throat after breakfast, something dislodged it and he choked to death.  A terrible and senseless tragedy."

"Dear gods.  Guards, take the Daggeroak away and see that his body is taken care of."  The Prince shook his head as the various men exited, corpse in tow.  He reached for his cup of wine, then thought against it and poured the contents out of the window.  "Hardly an auspicious start to proceedings.  I wondered why he was so silent.  Damn it.

"Well, in lieu of a living General, I shall dictate.  I want eight pounds spent on a standing Royal Army to supplement the regiments.  Extend the budget to eighteen pounds for this season, giving you ten pounds for peacetime expenditure, Treasurer and Home Secretary.  Raise two regiments of retinues, and use manpower from county vassals in lieu of their levy requirement; see who will take that offer.  I want each of them trained in combat, macemen with leather armour and shortbows.  Yes, this is a great expense, but a long term one.  I am confident their mobility of deployment shall make the difference in many engagements to come."

Authorise expenditure of £8 on 2 Retinues (Combat Training I, Hand Weapons, Shortbows, Light Armour)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:50:25 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 01:16:08 pm »

Once the meeting is concluded, the Prince meets with the ambassador from Drymark.

Authorise expenditure of £8 on 2 Retinues (Combat Training I, Hand Weapons, Shortbows, Light Armour)
The master-at-arms informs you the traiing is going well, and the equipment is arriving as he speaks. He estimates by next season the troops should be more than ready to taste combat.

[-] The drymark delegation receives you warmly within the mansion that houses them for their stay. The supposed head of it, the respected count Warraun, a human noble of Drymark. While his clothes give a far more tribal look to him than what most people in an orcish court generally wear, the general quality of the furs making up the outfit, and what the orcs tend to wear it for says that this is probably for something remarkably important.

"Ah, my prince. It is a delight to see you here, no doubt you are interested as to why we are here?" he asks, bowing after he speaks his piece.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:19:42 pm by Taricus »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:48 pm »

The Prince met the delegation in the Throne Room, still in the sober clothes and Tear necklace of his council meeting, with the addition of a silver-trimmed black cloak for the sake of ceremony.  He gestured for bread and salt to be given to the delegation by the serving wenches, as per custom.

"We are honoured by your presence, Count Warraun, and welcome you to Stormstead.  May the only blood you shed today be that of a virgin's promise.*  My apologies for the delay in your reception.  Yesterday was, after all, the coronation.  I was a touch preoccupied."  Aethelred gave a thin smile and gestured to the young man to his left.  "May I briefly introduce my brother Karac, who I am sure will tour you and your company around the city to much mirth when our business is complete.

"I am sure, of course, that your reason for being here is to celebrate my recent ascension, as custom dictates.  Since you are here, I invite you to discuss whatever else might be on your mind.  Speak freely."

*Orcish traditional greetings are weird.  Also rather flowery, for their disturbing subject matter.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »

Some of delegates look rather... uncomfortable, when the prince said his greeting, as if he said something that... wasn't exactly orcish to begin with. A few gesture that they'd like to speak, but usually shy away from it in respect, until the count himself speaks up.

"You meant warrior or hunter right? Because we don't have a saying about that at all, atleast not in that context."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:53 pm »

The Prince stared blankly into the middle distance for a moment.  The temperature of the room seemed to drop to somewhere around the freezing point of blood.

"I believe something painful is going to happen to one of my translators in the near future.  In any case, I must beg you to forgive my ignorance; apparently one should not believe everything one reads in books.  I would dearly appreciate it if you could inform me of more appropriate greetings, to avoid such upsets in future.  It would be terrible for our relationship to be marred over simple mistranslations.

"But enough frivolity,"
said the Prince, without a trace of humour in his features.  "You wished to speak."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:40:16 pm by Iituem »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »

The count coughed, before speaking up again.

"Very well. Our lord and master wishes to marry his daughter to you, or failing that, one of the lords of the realm, in an interest to secure a long-lasting healthy relationship with our neighbor.

The princess herself is still at the mansion. She's... rather shy about public appearances, especially among the highborn of another realm."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:51 pm »

"Your liege and the princess both honour us with this proposal.  Might I suggest an informal visit this evening, myself and some chaperones, to visit the Princess at her mansion?  A more formal presentation can always be arranged, should it suit her highness."

Arrange for a dinner to be prepared at the mansion.  Before visiting, have the chamberlain provide a short dossier on Drymarksman customs and nobility - the castle textbooks are proving sorely lacking.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15