Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49424 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. 2000 to go.
« Reply #480 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:27 am »

I was working on researching a golemforge
We do have a golemforge already. Since 3 years.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2014, 01:58:28 pm »

He said the other golemforge is too dangerous...I made it as safe as I could at the time, but apparently the hammer-drop left certain vulnerabilities open.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 11, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »

Do any of the demons have breath attacks because if they don't we could use lond range weapons like guns/spears to take down the demonds and then use bolts on the undead beacuase if i rember undead use a hit point system.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #483 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »

He said the other golemforge is too dangerous...I made it as safe as I could at the time, but apparently the hammer-drop left certain vulnerabilities open.
Oh, ok. It took me a while to notice it, so I assumed he did too ^^ But if the demons can come through the magma lake, its reasonable to wall it off.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 11, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »

Do any of the demons have breath attacks because if they don't we could use lond range weapons like guns/spears to take down the demonds and then use bolts on the undead beacuase if i rember undead use a hit point system.

The demons definitely have breath attacks. They spam them non-stop. And I'm not sure there are very many undead left alive ATM. Combat logs are just frost wraiths breathing at things.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 11, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »

How dangerous is their breath attacks, and what sort of range do they have?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 11, 2014, 07:07:43 pm »

How dangerous is their breath attacks, and what sort of range do they have?

No idea. I haven't even looked at the demons.
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 12, 2014, 12:08:51 am »

From the even more private and secret journal of Arcvasti

20th timber: The fortess seems... wrong somehow.  WE devote Our attention to the demons below, but they are not causing the trouble

30th timber: Its getting hard to concentrate on anything. I am told that WE are getting pale and pallid

10th moonstone: The ringing is getting worse. I have taken to speaking at all times to drown it out. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK. It just keeps getting louder and louder.

From the minutes of the secret rebel meeting:
PeaSant: We can't let this go on any longer. We're losing good dwarves to this "Arcvasti"'s madness. First beloved McMeph gone and now Olin hasn't been seen in weeks. This is the time for action, not sitting in abandoned rooms and chatting!

Talanic: We can't move on him yet, he has the loyalty of the animated weapons, they'd tear us to shred even through our adamantine.

Urist: PeaSant is right. We can't just let this lie, Arcvasti is insane. I've heard him talking or muttering to himself. Why just the last day he had a shouting match with himself and gouged out his eardrums.

Kamikazi: Talking to himself, self-mutilation. Delay the plan another month, I've got something I think will help.

Scrawled in blood on Arcvasti's walls:

IT WON'T STOP. LISTEN TO ME, MAKE IT STOP
NO, YOU ARE NOTHING, WE ARE HERE NOW
MAKE IT STOP. MAKE THE NOISE STOP I CAN STILL HERE IT, LIKE A WATCH COVERED IN COTTEN
YOU ARE NOTHING. WE ARE THE TRUTH. YOU DO NOT EXIST

Arcvasti ran out of his office, blood streaming from his mutilated face and hands. "Urist!" he cried "You don't need to try to hide it anymore. You didn't think WE already knew? Dissemble no more, WE know where he is. Dig up the soil in the abandoned pasture. Olin lies there, murdered by my own hand. I ADMIT THE DEED FREELY, JUST MAKE HIS HEART STOP"
He started trying to gouge his eyes out, before Kamikazi grabbed him. He dragged the shrieking and bloodied Arcvasti to the surface. To the animal enclosure. To one specific cage. The Ward of Armok stared deep with into Arcvastis unseeing eyes.
LEAVE, FOUL DEMON, RETURN TO THY NEST BELOW. TROUBLE NOT THIS SERVANT OF ARMOK

Arcvasti woke up in his bed in his office. His injuries as well as his soul had been healed. The people of Cathedral had forgiven his actions while posessed, but they would no longer accept him as leader. The minister of immigration smiled at his new freedom and walked to the townportal to summon a sucesser more worthy then he.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8415

For the next overseer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And thats the end of my turn. I might sign up for another round later when I have more time to spend on DF. Sorry for taking twice as long as the rules say, I was not aware of the 1 week per turn rule.

Spooky Signature

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:54 am »

If it's the magma sea you're worried about, I recall making the Golemforge such that it blocks the magma below itself with its unpathable squares.  It's my habit to do so - critters, even building destroyers, aren't supposed to be able to get up through that.

If I'm informed correctly.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 12, 2014, 01:16:18 am »

If it's the magma sea you're worried about, I recall making the Golemforge such that it blocks the magma below itself with its unpathable squares.  It's my habit to do so - critters, even building destroyers, aren't supposed to be able to get up through that.

If I'm informed correctly.

Its not that, its that you have to go through dangerous places to get to it. I think that you have to go either through the Hammer site or the 3rd cavern to get there.
Spooky Signature

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:50 am »

And thats the end of my turn. I might sign up for another round later when I have more time to spend on DF. Sorry for taking twice as long as the rules say, I was not aware of the 1 week per turn rule.

Apology accepted.   :)  You did have people curious, though.

About that Golem Forge:  It isn’t there anymore.  Following down the central staircase leads to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That’s a marble anvil and a Research Report on golemforge making next to the olivine blocks and the open square above the magma sea.  I’ve seen outrageously expansive staircases before in succession forts but this one takes the cake ...  Next level down is the center of the large candy spire so, someday, it might be worth dropping down water from the level above to have access to the other hundred or so exposed edge tiles.  Before that, though, this fortress has two spires of adamantine and only one has been mined.  (I’m not spoiling anything, it’s already been revealed, you just have to zoom out the screens to notice the second.  Past Overseer’s privilege.   :)) )  There’s a lot of blue metal in ☼Cathedral☼.

I left the fortress with six Goblin invaders outside the walls and they’ve been replaced with 15 Human Imperial Bladeguards and one Imperial Bowguard riding a camel so migrant waves are still out but maybe a Legionnaire caravan could deal with them.  It’s mid-winter, all the water is frozen again.  Of the 21 dwarves, “Niku” is a Dead Man Walking, running around and babbling so there are actually only 20.  Three ghosts yet to be put to rest.  Many dorfs wearing worn clothing and complaining, some missing shoes.   8 have no job assignments and only one dwarf, a recent transportee, has clothesmaking skill enabled (he has 0 skill, 120 points experience).  I’d hoped the Others would light up in pretty colors with Rendermax but, not so much.  The wraiths continue to take out the corpsemen but are suffering casualties of their own.  Good times!
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:15 am »

I laughed when I saw that massive staircase as well.  I assumed that whoever dug it out didn't notice they had up/down stairs selected instead of mine.  I like golems but they are a semi-questionable option for this fort with a dwarf sacrifice.  I know you want them assigned to squads before golemification so you can command them with the military and I'm not sure if the townportaled dwarves are showing up to be added for military service since there are issues with them showing up for noble screen.  Not to mention it's expensive to warp in a dwarf.  I personally think time would be better spent with idle dwarves buffing up on weight benches, getting the library system up and running so we can pretty much give each dwarf a mid level in each skill, including fighting and armor user so we can have a fully armed population should anything go wrong, and getting at least a few soldiers training every day of the year.  About a year of training every day will get two dwarves legendary in no time.  I'll take a legendary, rune covered adamantine wearing, poisoned blade wielding, extremely strong legion dwarf over a golem any day.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:16 am »

That staircase if probably the result of dig v with stairs. You can select 3-dimensional veins across z levels, digging stairs instead of mining to get to it all.

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:41 am »

So the aptly named, Someone12345 has basically until Friday to let us know he's alive, at which point I swoop in to join the mayhem?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #494 on: February 12, 2014, 11:03:02 am »

Either him or Grimmash. Grimmash skipped his turn, which means he was in theory added to the end of the list, which was arcvasti at that time. He already told me that he wants to try another round, but didnt say anything about now or after Someone12345 turn.

Edit: I wrote both a PM.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:06:06 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46