Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49472 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. 2000 to go.
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2014, 10:15:11 pm »

From the journal of Olin, blacksmith minister of forging.
7th timber: Armok take pity on my life. This place is horrible. I wear ragged clothes and sit around all day. The booze here makes you sick. I've had about enough.
8th timber: This place is finally looking up. I went to see the overseer, Largearches or whatnot and told him about my problems. He told me about some sunshine he's found stashed away in some abandoned pasture or something.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:39 pm »

Olin carefully snuck up the stairs to the floor with the townportal. Arcvasti had said he'd meet him there and show him the sunshine. Sure enough: there he was, next to the badly bricked up pasture.
"Go right on through, my friend" Arcvasti said with a smile "The Amontillado sunshine is just that way"
Feeling slightly uneasy, Olin made his way into the dank chamber. As promised, there was a pile of pots near the center of the old pasture. When he was almost at the precious sunshine, he heard a faint clank of stone on stone. When he turned around, he saw the overseer replacing the bricks in the partially crumbled wall.
"What are you doing!" Olin cried
"Giving you some time to enjoy your drink" Arcvasti replied "Its the least I could do for such a cooperative subject"
"The sunshine was a lie wasn't it?" Olin said "It was just a ploy to tap me in here. There's no booze in those pots."
"On the contrary," Arcvasti said as he put the last block in place"There is PLENTY to drink"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:08:54 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2014, 10:57:40 am »

You are pure, demonic evil. I name you:

Arcvasti the Incredibly Nasty.   ;D
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »

There does seem to be a high casualty rate this turn, doesn't there. Also, in the state the game's in right now, the minister of agriculture just went berserk. Moar fun. I should really get to making some clothes so this kind of thing stops hapening.
Spooky Signature

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2014, 01:15:14 pm »

Arcvasti, you've turned this fortress into a highly religious slum. Perhaps even to Ghetto levels.
You even hide evidence of your crimes in the walls, like the mob!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »

Does this mean losing all dwarfs and reclaiming and having the thousands of enemies suddenly destroyed? I don't reclaim much.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:45 pm »

Does this mean losing all dwarfs and reclaiming and having the thousands of enemies suddenly destroyed? I don't reclaim much.
No, townportaled dwarves have no friends. No one will care that Olin is dead. The berserk minister of agriculture is also townportaled and berserked in a room with a miner in it. No tantrum spirals for this fort, unless I start killing off peoples dorfs, which is rude.
Spooky Signature

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:31 pm »

Just make sure to bury/memorialize them, ghosts will drive strangers to suicide just as easily as they do friends and family.

EDIT:
Since nobody's said it yet, and because I hate leaving a joke unfinished.

"Let me out! For the blood of Armok, Arcvasti!!!"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:16:50 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:42 pm »

Wait, you killed him?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »

...he might have bricked him up with nothing but poisonous brew. Maybe. Possibly.  :-X
GENERATION 32:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »

So instead of fighting the demons and undeads, like Talanic or kamikazi1231 did, nor cleaning up the fort and recruiting more Dwarves like jimboo did, arcvasti is tempering with the forts progress? Killing dwarves? Not only letting them die of thirst passively, but actively causing their deaths? Is that what you are saying? Did I hear that right?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2014, 12:06:10 am »

So instead of fighting the demons and undeads, like Talanic or kamikazi1231 did, nor cleaning up the fort and recruiting more Dwarves like jimboo did, arcvasti is tempering with the forts progress? Killing dwarves? Not only letting them die of thirst passively, but actively causing their deaths? Is that what you are saying? Did I hear that right?
I've got the same amount of dwarves then I started with and I've got the task to summon another one queued up. Plus I've been working on upgrading the defenses on the surface and making a golemforge for fighting demons. The dwarf I locked away was tantruming and a danger to the fortress. He'd already wounded a few dwarves with his fistfights. Its just more fun to justify it with irrational reasons in the write-up.  Half the townportaled dwarves have little to no clothes and are tantruming. Plus I solved the nether grour problem, which frees up a lot of dwarfpower. Thats at least something constructive in a few months.

As for tampering with the forts progress, I'll take care not to cause any more dwarves deaths. At least, non-constructive deaths. Turning a dwarf into a golem is still on the table. I might let Olin out once the clothes crisis is over. Maybe have someone overthrow my dorfs tyranny for an in-story reason as to why he gets let out? If my actions were unacceptable, then I apologize and will try to do better in future. I will take all precautions to ensure that the fort remains playable.
Spooky Signature

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 03, 2014, 12:35:22 am »

...you realize this is Dwarf Fortress, where Morality and Sanity went out the window looong ago? This was going to happen eventually, just be glad it wasn't something/someone which actively set you back. He decided to let the demons and undead duke it out in the meantime, he just couldn't do anything while the poisonous brew threatened the well-being of the fortress.

Plus, it was good story-telling.
GENERATION 32:

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2014, 12:37:45 am »

...you realize this is Dwarf Fortress, where Morality and Sanity went out the window looong ago? This was going to happen eventually, just be glad it wasn't something/someone which actively set you back. He decided to let the demons and undead duke it out in the meantime, he just couldn't do anything while the poisonous brew threatened the well-being of the fortress.

Plus, it was good story-telling.
Meph has a point. Gratuitously killing dwarves when we're so low on them should be done in moderation. I don't even know if there ARE any undead anymore. The combat logs are just frost wraiths spamming ice breath at each other.
Spooky Signature

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2014, 12:45:57 am »

My point was you weren't actively trying to set everything back, just got "a bad hand" so to speak.

How goes The Threadbare Incident?
GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46