Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49476 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

I made the golemforge in order to upgrade some purchased golems.  Unfortunately they turned out to be made of brass and not all that useful against the undead.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2014, 11:32:24 pm »

I made the golemforge in order to upgrade some purchased golems.  Unfortunately they turned out to be made of brass and not all that useful against the undead.

So you intend on upgrading what material they are made of? Am I missing something?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:07 pm »

Golems are activated at the golemforge and you can upgrade three stats there too.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:49 pm »

Which three stats can you upgrade? I've never used the golemforge, I die far too early...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #334 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:55 am »

Purchased golems are always brass. But you can upgrade their strength, or give them AoE attacks, or raise their combat skills by using mechanisms. Bought golems are also immobile (inactive) and must be activated at the golem forge, which makes them mobile.

Golems you build have the material you use to build them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:05 am »

But some overseer removed him from his military duty :(

OK, you win.  McMahrgell has been re-commissioned  as a sergeant.  Have a preference for the name of your new squad-of-one?  Otherwise, he will be a RubbleRouser. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:09 am »

jimboo continued his walkabout, making notes and getting what information he could from the dwarves he encountered.  When he saw the young female who had earlier led him from the Portal, he picked his way through the heaps of furniture over to where she was rummaging through a pile of jumbled stone coffers.

“Hullo, there.  Whatcha’ doin’?”
“I’m looking for a bucket of lye, there’s supposed to be one around here somewhere.  You haven’t come across a Soapmaker’s workshop, have you?”
jimboo had not. 
“What’s your name?”
“Pea sent”
“Piss Ant?  Your name is Piss Ant?”
“HEY!  You want a fat lip to go with your fat head?  PEA-SENT.”
“You – smell like peas?”
“You’re not very bright, are you?”  jimboo had never actually considered that but upon reflection, no, he probably wasn’t. 
“When I first came through the Portal, the nitwits here all fell on their faces and begged me to deliver them from their stupidity, from their greed.  The dwarves remaining in this Armok-forsaken place are not the brightest bunch – have you noticed that, yet?”  Hozpitol … yeah, jimboo had noticed that.  “It was pretty flippin’ obvious to me right way.  I’m no Saviour, no Grand High Wizard.  When they asked me what I could do, I told them I'm a peasant.  A … PEASANT.  Get it?  Some genius wrote it down as ‘peasent’ in the Scrolls and they’ve been mispronouncing it ever since.  Not the brightest bunch, as I said.  And every encounter with them culls the best of those remaining.  We’re all going to die, Overseer.  We’re all going to die and they know it.  This place is cursed and we’re all going to die.”  She went back to rummaging.
“Um, sorry about that.  The name, I mean.  What’s your *real* name?”
She stopped what she was doing and slowly looked up at him.  jimboo had never seen a face so bleak.
“No.  I won’t use that name in this place.  There is real Magyk, Overseer, and there is magyk in a name.  I won’t speak my name again until I’m home.  My home.”
Real Magyk – jimboo had no doubt of that.  Any dwarf that lived with a Legend +4 witch as he did would be very sure of that. 
“Well, I want to get home, too, and I don’t want to die here.  Snap out of it, Pea, and tell me what’s going on.  If we’re ever going to get out of here – if we’re ever going to get home – it seems the first thing we have to do is ‘not die.’  Understand?  Now tell me what’s going on.  What’s this ‘them’ you spoke of?  What curse? Why are we all going to die?  TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON.”

And so she told him.  She told him of the founding of this place, this Cathedral, this fortress meant to be a living memorial to Armok.  She told him of the deep mines and the elation that had come with the discovery of the blue metal Spire.  Of the many migrants that had come.  Of the undead that had come.  There was much to tell, and jimboo listened.   
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:39 am »

Peasent.

I feel so smart.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

13 Slate, mid-Spring.

The labor shortage is chronic and I don’t understand why.  Partly, the u screen is not helping:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve never played with so many blanks on the screen; F10, F11, no help.  Zooming to the blanked dwarf shows generally “hauling to stockpile” which evidently also covers “hauling water” for wounded and animals and we’re doing a lot of that.  Pea isn’t making soap because we have one lye but no Soapmaker’s workshop and that labor isn’t showing at the Chemist; we’ve only 17 dwarves and can’t afford to lose one to simple infection.  We can’t build a Soapmaker because “no access to empty bucket.”  The carpenter’s workshop is not making buckets because … I’ve no idea.  The hauling for a time was the now-opened crates of gold to the Coinmint but now seems to be only water.  No … it seems I just keep tripping myself over the slow-FPS-takes-forever thing.  Pea stopped her research on the Blast Furnace and started hauling water.  Then switched over to coins.  Now she’s making a bucket, finally.  This is certainly different than any fort I’ve previously played.  Now, the problem is digger mortis; nobody will pick up a pick and mine.  Except Pea – she picked up McMarghell’s +adamantine battlepick and won’t put it down so he’s sulking about with a wolfram substitute.  But nobody is mining.  Labors switch between hauling and ‘no job.’  I just don’t get it; somebody used to mine, there’s that hunk of titanate lying down there next to a new wall.  Everyone has the mining labor enabled except Big D, who’s tasked to chop down one tree on the surface next to the Depot that is preventing those squares next to all the raw materials in the Depot from being used for anything.   First it was hauling sawdust to Finished Goods stockpiles, then it was minecarts to Furniture stockpiles, then it was cheese to Food stockpiles so we don’t have any stockpiles anymore except those for cages, animals and coins; that last one is new, next to the Coinmint.  There was some hauling of coppers there initially but I don’t want the workshop to be cluttered/slow and we need more dwarves.  Short term goals, then:

1) soap, so we don’t lose that 17% of the workforce resting injuries
2) engraving memorials for the ghosts before there is unexpected hilarity
3) coins, to summon more dwarves through the Portal
4) research for a Blast Furnace.  Energy will become a constraint and we have only wood to make charcoal.  Smelters can’t coke planks but a Blast Furnace can and that’d be the most efficient use of our existing resources. 

After we have buckets and soap, the carpenters will make pump components and if anyone ever digs again, a cistern will be placed next to one of the surface pools within the walls (why oh why did the stockade walls not enclose some of that so-close running water brook?).  We’ll be hauling water for the foreseeable future but we’re losing a lot of booze and labor to making water and everything will most likely freeze again come next winter. 

What does everyone think should be done with the Trade Licenses?  Meph, perhaps a poll?  We only have two.  I’m leaning towards Bomrek’s for cheap metals (copper) and energy (wood) as one of them.   

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

Screw buying stuff. Build Teduks fine goods and SELL.  8)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:09 am »

Oh, yeah, right … didn’t think of that because when I’m not in a community fortress, there's always 5-6 caravans a year. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #341 on: January 24, 2014, 11:59:21 am »

PS: Even if you dislike the shop after a while and wont buy/sell anything at Teduks... nothing stops you from deconstructing the shop and building another one with the trade license. You can build all shops, just not at the same time.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 24, 2014, 02:11:53 pm »

Definitely sell at fine goods.

You mentioned a bit back you changed up the burrows. I don't know how big you made the new one. Could our civ be restricted to a Burrow and you have some mining designated outside of that? 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #343 on: January 24, 2014, 03:08:43 pm »

Updated the list of Overseer. HP Urist will join us in future.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 24, 2014, 03:42:45 pm »

19th Slate, mid-Spring.

We have a ghost just outside the walls, Zefon Kegethkubuk, a ghostly hammerdwarf.  He doesn’t show as a memorial option and from the Dead/Missing screen position, I’m guessing he was part of a past caravan.  Well, as long as he stays outside the walls, should be no biggie and I don’t want to send someone out to claim the body.  We need more warm bodies!  In related news, McFengyun has just been put to rest; that's one down.  The best position for Teduk’s market would be close to the Trade Depot to minimize the ***damn hauling; problem is, there’s no space up top unused so I’m taking down two craftsdwarf and butcher’s workshops to clear some space.  Hmm.  Two screen clicks and Zefon is now inside, five levels down in the hospital.  Bit late as a personal choice but I guess ghosts can do that. 

Teduks:

PS: Even if you dislike the shop after a while and wont buy/sell anything at Teduks... nothing stops you from deconstructing the shop and building another one with the trade license. You can build all shops, just not at the same time.

The licenses are reusable?  Good to know.  The dwarves knocked down several workshops right next to the Depot topside and, wow – hundreds of bone javelins, some gold javelins and one platinum javelin (?) were left behind.  Busy craftsdwarves in years past.  Minting coins now and there is one idler meaning, one dwarf not building Teduk’s or caring for wounded or converting booze or diagnosing or sleeping or drinking.  This has been a lot of keyboard action to achieve not so much. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Deconstruct a butcher and a craftsdwarf shop, lots of bones and javelins.

25th Slate, mid-Spring.

Do the ice ponds never thaw in this place?  We now have 7,000 gold coins.  That’s over the magic number so a request was made at the Townportal for a male dwarf.  It seems the previous two materialize-ees were female; something I should know about?  I’d rather have strong dwarves for defense as well as “will somebody start digging around here?!”

26th Slate.

Finally, TWO idlers and still, nobody is digging the designated are on -1z in that level of fireclay.  Is there something special about the dirt around here?  Evidently there is because when that single tile of Mithril in an unoccupied bedroom lower down was designated, it began blinking right away.  That’s strange.  Fireclay isn’t listed under z Stones to be restricted, either.  All bricks were restricted?  Thatch?  Wicker?  I can understand now why previous Overseers bypassed those layers of fireclay and dirt but not how the initial staircase was dug through them to get to rock.  Curious underground, indeed.   It’s good that we have such large stockpiles of booze because one dwarf is necessarily on permanent booze-to-water duty at least until some ice thaws.  We have 4 distilleries; I wish we had 2 breweries, instead.  Others status: We’re down to 520 Undead and Uninvited Guests so the Fun down below continues as the wraiths continue to take out the walking corpses.  Fewer is better.

Could our civ be restricted to a Burrow and you have some mining designated outside of that?

Now I just feel silly.  It wasn’t a new burrow but one of the many old ones had every dwarf assigned but it did not include anything outside the stairways on those two levels.  I can’t imagine why; isn’t it much easier to designate “everywhere” burrows underground by just making the rectangle go corner-to-corner on the map?  Well, whatever, it’s fixed now.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46