Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49453 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »

What do you have against carpenters? ^^

They're not dwarven enough, their work is of lesser value and with the new masterwork buildings you an do everything with stone you can do with wood. Even my kobolds use exclusively masonry after the first year. Plus going outside to get wood is risky, whereas making stuff out of stone actually helps with clutter in the fortress. Need I go on?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »

I like carpenters. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »

What do you have against carpenters? ^^

I say: Build merchants, sell most stuff we have for coins, make more dwarves. Its the only chance. The two crates of gold bars are already enough for two more dwarves. :)

Definitely get fine goods.  I know for a fact while my dwarf was praying I saw a few platinum bars show up.  They are worth a lot of coins.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »

Perhaps I’m looking at this all wrong in preparing for a prolonged siege but, this fortress has 2,014 dead.  Looking at the recent dead – and not counting Pi_Age or the previously dead, dead – of the last 100 or so, 60 have been merchants.  We have one Proficent Marksdwarf, the female L’Miere, but no ranged weapons of greater than basic quality and no weaponsmith of skill greater than dabbler.  Our best fighter, novice swordsdwarf McMeph is unable to stand.  None of the 14 standing dwarves are even Novice for armor-wearing, shield or dodging.  We have a few adamantine-edged weapons but only one dwarf with even competent weapons skill, Grimmash.  The 16 Drow claivemasters that visited two weeks ago were all wearing bloodsteel plate and moved across the screen considerably faster than our dwarves. 

Does anyone want to place odds on a migrant wave getting through or a Dwarven caravan getting close enough to hire away their guards?     
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 23, 2014, 01:30:31 am »

The normal caravan.. I'll pass on that bet.

But you could probably summon the super steel dwarf caravan full of legendary fighters.  Would be good to recruit some of them if they make it through.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:00 am »

You cant recruit dwarven legion members.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 23, 2014, 02:21:37 am »

You cant recruit dwarven legion members.

Ah that's too bad.  Well at least they are tough as nails and might make it through to the depot.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2014, 02:59:19 am »

You are wrong about the military
There is a dwarf with legendary weapon skill. McMahrgell should have a adamantine battlepick and they do quite some damage with mining 20
But some overseer removed him from his military duty :(

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:36 am »

I was kinda hoping nobody would notice the miners, should have counted on it that you would.   :)   Thing is, miners make excellent militia.  They are the *best* early militia.  And this fortress has an adamantine +battlepick+.  McMahrgell Bomrekdobar, Earthstriker, even has two kills – a Kobold and an Orc.  And I bet they were one-strike kills, too, chasing down thieves from behind. 

A week ago, we had a solitary Drow ClaiveMaster on the map: how do you suppose a one-on-one between those two would have gone down?  There are four animated iron swords but those “pets” are still attached to Splint, long-gone Splint.  (What, do they go into mourning or something??)  Even assigned with every WarPig on hand, I don’t think our miner warrior would last long against a skilled opponent.  This fortress is not “mature” in any sense but it’s old enough that the invaders who come won’t be stumblers and bumblers.  But do keep those ideas coming, please. 
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:31 am »

Inventory #1:

Ore Processor
Smelter      2
Finishing Forge
Volcanic Golem Forge
Metallurgist Forge
Coinmint
Wood Oven
Ashery
Armory
Weaponry

Mason         4   
Craftsdwarf      4
Leatherworks
Loom
Clothier
Tailor's
Jewelry
Mechanic’s workshop
Stonecutter’s Bench
Carpenters      3
Wood splitters      3
Woodcrafters      3
Furniture Workshop
Sawmill

Screwpress      3
Brewery      
Distillery      4
Butcher’s      2
Farmer’s      2
Tanners
Fishpond

School of Wizardry
Town Portal
Shrine of Armok   3
Altar of Armok   2
Monastery
Kennel

Apothecary’s Study
Researcher
Alchemist
Chemist’s Lab
Archeologist’s Study

Trade Depot
Trade Storehouse

Embassy
Morul’s Tavern   2

Some things are remarkable for their absence, like a slag pit or a Scriptorium. 
Question: how did we come up with a Volcanic Golem Forge?  Did a caravan come by with plans and does that actually ever happen?  I wish I understood the Research Tree better.

And then there’s this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

☼Cathedral – Curious Underground☼.  Curiouser and curiouser.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2014, 10:39:48 am »

I'm not sure who is more insulted now, McMahrgell or the Frost giant, that you titled as Orc :P

Did you forget the honor regaining 1on1 I had during the last month of my reign against the first Frost giant, that ever visited our mighty Fortress? But sadly I did not onehitkill the Frost giant.

About the Golemforge... I think it was kamikazi who tried golems as an answer to the undead. Didn't work.
And we surely need that sword :D We should totally take it, you know, it is like the King Artus story! Or so... (actually, since there is a hole in the floor right next to it... it wouldn't matter, would it?)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:20 am »

jimboo continued his walk, stopping to chat with the few dwarves he encountered.  They had seemed sullen and resigned.  In one large room carved from obsidian, there was a sign marked “hozpitol.”  It was crudely scribbled on paper, in an open area next to a single empty wooden bed, two rolls of rag cloth close by on the floor.  He continued on.  There were workshops – empty but cluttered with goods, shrines to Armok, large areas marked as stockpiles, huge plots of untended farmland, boulders and braziers everywhere.  This fortress certainly had plenty of boulders and braziers.  He found the Portal, quite small and also unattended, next to an impressive structure with NILKULET ANIL NON    SCHOOL OF WIZARDRY engraved above the doorway.  It was impressive, but it was also empty.  He wound his way through the many enormous piles of tables and chairs as he searched each level.  He’d had some experience with this, at least, the being lost/confused and seemingly in charge: first thing was, make a map.  As he walked, jimboo was scribbling on the back of the paper sign for the hozpitol. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2014, 10:43:04 am »

I didnt even notice that its a sword of armok. Thats amazing coincidence.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:11 am »

"The Blood God, seeing his worshippers hide from the terrors of the deep, gives them a sign that not all is lost. The Holy Sword, made of the Most Sacred of Metals- a sign from the divine that there will be a future for these humble stone-dwellers.

Lives may be lost, blood will be shed, but the divine one has chosen this fortress to shine through the ages. But has he chosen well..."

Not the best thing ever, but it'll do. Any suggestions for improvement, or (even better) will someone write a superior piece to show me how it's done?

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:40 am »

It seems we found a solution to breaching without even removing the sword!  I wonder, did we get the standard message when the hammer dropped?  Will pulling the sword out cause a new spawn?  Will it end the world?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46