Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49462 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2014, 12:19:45 pm »

It had been a pretty good day.  It had been a pretty good couple of years, jimboo thought to himself.  ☼The Banners of Heart☼ was stable and secure.  200 dwarves were drinking, eating, drinking, working, drinking and being for the most part happy.  jimboo had put the children to bed on their wicker mats with a bedtime story and now looked over at his wife, Corridor Scapedusk, the Legend +4 Witch.  Every dwarf should be so lucky, he thought, as she smiled and kissed him goodnight. 

“The Council will see you now.”
jimboo rubbed his sleepy eyes and looked around at an unfamiliar room.  The voice had come from a young dwarf standing in front of him.  Oh, right, jimboo thought, this is a dream, from his early days as Brewmeister when –
OUCH!  The little snot had just kicked him in the shin!  Hard!
“Everyone who comes in thinks this is a dream.  That’s the fastest way to convince them it isn’t.  Come along now, the Council is waiting.”  jimboo followed down unfamiliar halls.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:27:12 am by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:41 pm »

Oh my. 

First off, I’m open to suggestions.  I encourage them!  I’ll be posting in character for the storyline then separately for the stats.  A lot has happened since 11 struck the earth at Nilkulet Anil Non, the hammered Cathedral.  DISCLAIMER: comments should not be taken as criticism of previous Overseers but, this place is a mess.   :)  Since Meph added me to the Overseer list I’ve traded PMs with several players and everyone agrees this place is a mess.  There is only so much that can be done in a year and there was this immediate problem of 4,500 undeads wanting to make us dead …    This is way too lengthy but if everything blows up on me too, it will save time for somebody else.

Current stats and situation:
z screen open.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Therapist open screen.

u screen open

u screen others with breakdown count.  85 Frost Wraiths, the other 700 or so are various corpse types.  Still, that’s down from the 4500 initially revealed.

Combat report.  At least they don’t like each other.

Present squad setup.

Jobs, 1 of 2

Jobs, 2 of 2.  Not shown: p.3, Pi_Age the psychiatrist playing a battle song in the tavern.

The fortress structure, leveling down:
Surface zoomed out.

Level 99.  Fire clay, bypassed completely for whatever reason.  Level 98 is dirt, 97 is yellow sand, also bypassed, then

The fortress begins, level 96.

Those are hanging braziers with open space on 95.  The Cathedral dome (view from top).

Those are brazier supports with more open space.  Up top are workshops and the beginnings of a metalworks.  And an unmarked lever (naturally).

Let the massive stockpiles begin!  Obsidian layer.

92, rubble bedrooms with a vein of olivine.  One room will likely be sacrificed to get that tile of mithril.  Another Shrine and that fancy smoothed room up top?  That’s Kamikaze’s tomb-in-waiting.

91, a 21x21 furniture stockpile with planned exploratory mine shafts.

76, nothing much of interest until another Cathedral dome (and this is a religious-themed fortress).  After this, the Hammer:

72, several levels more or less like this one.  No notes so, nobody around here knows the Grand Design.

71, now we get to where The Hammer used to be.  It hugs the map edge.

70.  Drop Zone Ground Zero.  Some of the floor is still standing but from the miasma and ichor, there were casualties.  Up top is the marble mine and a planned excavation of galena (?).

69.  A larger percentage of floor remains.

67.  Some rubble but many corpsemen. 

65.  And here’s the problem: a few rubble boulders but the Demon City with its slade walls is mostly untouched.  It’s already revealed to go another 10 levels down.  The good news: there is a tiny hole punched in this level, giving the frost wraiths on the lower levels access to the corpsemen.  They are having Fun together.   

First question for the thread:
Therapist shows 17 dwarves.  The U screen lists 18.  Our religious-themed fortress’ High Priest Apostle of Armok and architect of The Hammer, Kamikaze (the jokes just write themselves) is listed as “tame” on the U screen, is missing from Therapist.  This came up in the General Discussion thread but I didn’t get a satisfactory answer, now it’s happened here.  When it seemed that I’d been wasting gold by changing guilded migrant dorfs to civilians before apprenticing them to another guild, others remarked that wasn’t necessary, just guild ‘em anew and go.  When I did that, my fortress psychiatrist – Sigmund –  went from being a Fisherdwarf to being “tame,” showing up among pets when assigning them to pasture zones.  So now does Kamikaze.  Is that what’s happened here?  When I de-guilded ole’ Sig he became a dwarf again and was then guilded as a Merchant without problem.

So, overall first impressions:
Hmm.
I’m a traditionalist and dwarves are supposed to mine a mighty fortress in the mountains.  A large wooden stockade on the surface is just too much “F Troop” for me.  Still, here we are and from the smooth plank pillars, someone had planned on a 3x expansion of those wooden walls. 

Second question:
Does anybody know from this? 

I’m guessing one of those unmarked levers controls the bridge that would lead to the exposed and un-walled Depot but just to the right of it is -- ??   A Forbidden shrine, completely walled off but open to the sky.  It is walled with blocks of Unknown Material.
?
In the inventory screen under bars, there were “bars” of no name in a previous save; they’re gone now and maybe that’s what walls off this forbidden shrine.  Opening those walls will be a someday project.   

I haven’t unpaused yet, no idea of current FPS.  Screenshots are time consuming and I’ll need some more of same to wrap my head around this place.  First order of business seems perhaps to reassign labors w/ Therapist and then get rid of all those Exact match, adamantine armor standing orders for the seven squads. 
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2014, 08:13:01 pm »

Ah my character is tame because he is in the middle of the 9 month progress towards High Priest.  He will probably come out of it around summer.

That unknown material wall also confused me.  I never went in there.  Assumed it was abandoned when frost giants showed up.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »

I’m guessing one of those unmarked levers controls the bridge that would lead to the exposed and un-walled Depot but just to the right of it is -- ??   A Forbidden shrine, completely walled off but open to the sky.  It is walled with blocks of Unknown Material.

That unknown material wall also confused me.  I never went in there.  Assumed it was abandoned when frost giants showed up.

:D

85 Frost Wraiths, the other 700 or so are various corpse types.  Still, that’s down from the 4500 initially revealed.
No, thats from the initial 2500 or so revealed. There are still a few thousand unrevealed units, no worries.

The good news: there is a tiny hole punched in this level, giving the frost wraiths on the lower levels access to the corpsemen.
Thats actually very bad news. ^^ Like seriously bad. It wasnt 4500 undeads. It was ~2200 undeads and ~2200 demons. Demons like the flying frost wraits, and fire-breathing nightmares, and the megabeast sized obisidan colossi.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »

Can we conclude that the dining hall with it's awesome illumination is the only nice place in the whole fortress? Except for the hospital (by me) and those random workshops (by i don't know who) in it :D
Always remember McFengyun, who fell off the scaffolding multiple times during construction and lost her hand in the process. (some evil overseer killed poor mc fengyun later*sniff* and she was such a beacon of happiness back when i ruled... *sniff*)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »

Can we conclude that the dining hall with it's awesome illumination is the only nice place in the whole fortress? Except for the hospital (by me) and those random workshops (by i don't know who) in it :D
Always remember McFengyun, who fell off the scaffolding multiple times during construction and lost her hand in the process. (some evil overseer killed poor mc fengyun later*sniff* and she was such a beacon of happiness back when i ruled... *sniff*)

My dining room, bedroom,  and tomb are nice too.  The only smooth walls in the place. I'm surprised the other overseers didn't make their tombs.  That's a pretty common thing for succession forts. Mine is simple with an altar in it since I'm the forts high priest.

I may be crazy but my Hammer and demon invasion has wiped out at least 2200 undead. That's gotta help fps some as we do clear dead haha.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:17:18 pm by kamikazi1231 »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:15 pm »

No, thats from the initial 2500 or so revealed. There are still a few thousand unrevealed units, no worries.
(clip)
Thats actually very bad news. ^^ Like seriously bad. It wasnt 4500 undeads. It was ~2200 undeads and ~2200 demons. Demons like the flying frost wraits, and fire-breathing nightmares, and the megabeast sized obisidan colossi.

Oh.  Um, wonderful.  I’d wondered about that number; everyone was talking about 4500 undead but the save after Talanic’s turn showed only 1700 or so.  You were referring to the sneak peak you took after the first year, yes?  And the Obsidian colossus – I thought you were suggesting something the dwarves should concoct to drop down there.  I’d no idea how to make or pray for one of those but, there’s so much of this ever-changing mod that I don’t have a handle on yet. 

I haven’t come up with a plan so far but first order of business now seems to seal off those levels for certain.  Along with the stairs, there are some walls that are only partially constructed and pillars won’t do the job.  The FPS will just have to wait, there’s not much we can do with 17 dorfs and particularly when 3 of them are in the infirmary and pretty busted up.  Frost Giants and such on the surface will likely be more than a match for our present Overseer in any case.  Maybe bunker in and focus on research and sorcery, laying at least the groundwork for future hellfire turrets and white mages.  All that’s assuming it will run after I work up to hitting unpause, of course.  But hey, if the next couple of guys can drag this out, there's Hall of Legends potential.     

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2014, 12:51:35 am »

Best of luck :).  A few random notes I remember:

The phantom dump zone is by the brazier spot outside the walls to the NW of the fortress.

Some levers are no longer linked because of bridges burning.

The depot is full of useful and useless stuff.  There is also lots of forbidden mithril and bloodsteel items outside, if you care to try and get them.  There was also a hidden drow ambush to the NE edge of the map.  In my alternate reality, that ambush cut of my arm through the adamantine armor.

The wells are a threat, and some of the stair shafts looked like they had potential diagonal access.

Your missing units might also be spawned (town portal'd) units.  Meph posted a script a few pages back that I think addresses things.

I had no idea where to start, but praying for water or using a brewery to get some from booze are good ideas - you have many injured with all the surface water frozen and the wells are a long haul.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2014, 01:24:58 am »

Like grim said there's lots in the trade depot. I think there might be a trade license.

From what I saw every town portal dwarf i summoned showed up in therapist but took a bit to show up in ui. The missing number is definitely my guy going high priest. He did that tame thing before when he went normal priest.

I'd suggest use my legendary praying to pray for soft metal constantly. I don't think there is any gold on the map. I'll churn out gold like crazy and if there's a trade license out there you can sell any platinum that shows up. Maybe use the gold to call that dwarven steel caravan. The wells are a threat. Before the end of my turn I ran about 15 water from booze reactions so you should have some.

The hammer chamber is sealed off but the chamber is connected to the temple structure above it. So if you dig into that temple now the demons will get in. I'm pretty sure nothing can get to the caverns from the mysterious structure. I know the demons can fly to the hammer chamber I saw a few in there.

Also we have black powder now so we could start towards machine shops for turrets. Relying on town portal may make a large mechanized fighting force necessary.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:13:57 am by kamikazi1231 »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2014, 09:52:52 am »

jimboo followed the young dwarf down darkened corridors, stumbling often and stubbing his toes on the unseen rubble lying seemingly everywhere.
“Why is it so dark in here?  And why are these hallways so cluttered with loose stone?”
“Ahh, … well, it’s dark because the braziers require fuel and, what with the labor shortage …”
“Labor shortage?  What are you talking about?  AND WHERE THE HELL AM I?”
“All will be explained to you, Good Sir.  We’re at the Council Chambers now.  Go in, please.”
And jimboo found himself shoved through a door which closed behind him.  Another darkened room, another dizzying summons, this was all too familiar.  jimboo shuffled forward, kicking pebbles along the way while making his way to the far side of the room.  The only sound was of rubble skittering across stone from his shambling steps.  After some time, he reached a high table with unlit candelabras, backed with thrones and  – there was nobody there!  What in Armok’s name was going on?  jimboo looked around as his eyes adjusted to the darkness.  The room was large and he was indeed alone – the only furnishings were the large, rough table and the large, rough and empty thrones along with several candelabras without candles.   
“HELLO??”
The sound came back to him as repeating echos, the only answer.  It seemed to come from above and jimboo looked up to see … absolute darkness.  The roof was round, he could tell that much from the flicker of one brazier set high up on a column.  From that dim light he could see other braziers, unlit, and a dome that extended … up.  Into darkness.  The dome was high, he knew that much and the acoustics here were pretty impressive.  jimboo would have been more impressed if there was someone to tell him what was going on.  But he was alone.  There was nothing in the room but the table, the unoccupied thrones, the empty candela – no, wait, there was a piece of parchment laid on the table. He squinted at the lines of ash scribbled on the paper but the room was just too dark to make anything out.  Taking the parchment out into the hallway, jimboo read:

“Greetings, Overseer.
No doubt you have many questions.  But our need is great and our time is short.  We are few and they are many: Demons and Wraiths and Undead, Beasts without name and Things best forgotten.  Nilkulet Anil Non was founded as a religious fortress, dedicated to Armok and, Overseer, it was glorious!  Soon, our miners found the spire of Holy Adamantine, most Holy of Holies.  Word spread, and our numbers swelled as immigrants came to worship with us.  Great cathedrals were begun in His name and you stand in one now.  But not only dwarves came to us: invaders came to pillage and burn, thieves came to steal.  But we are dwarves and we know how to deal with such.  But the Adamantine came with a price: the miners have opened a channel to Hell itself and from it come the minions of darkness.  We do not know how to deal with such as those.  And so you have been summoned, to be our Guide, our Savior, our Overseer.  With the last of our gold, we have summoned thee, Overseer, from MountainHome using the magyk of the Portal.  Use your legendary powers, your wisdom to save us!  All Glory be to the God of Blood!  Praise His Name!”

jimboo frowned, not understanding.  He read it again.  No help.  The young dwarf was standing nearby, grinning.
“Figured it out, yet?”
“No.  What is going on?  What is this place and HOW THE HELL DID I GET HERE?”
“It’s called a Portal.  It’s Magyk, used to summon a mighty sorcerer from MountainHome to save this cursed place.”
“But there’s been a mistake!  I’m not from MountainHome!  I’m from BannerHeart and I’m not a sorcerer of any kind.  Send me back!  Now!”  jimboo had grabbed the young dwarf and was shaking her by the shoulders.
“Hey, let me go!  I’m not supposed to be here, either.  They called me a month ago from MY home where I was just minding my own business and milking a dewbeetle.  We’re in the same mess.  And it’s up to YOU to get us out of it.  They’re not kidding about the demonspawn from Hell.”

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »

Step the First:
17 usable dwarves, 3 in the infirmary, only 1 idler.  Many stacked jobs.  J screen was used to stop all open jobs, then a Q search was rolled level by level to cancel all suspended and repeating tasks.  Auto-nothing was set for Workshop profiles.  We have booze and food for the moment so all farm fields were set to fallow.  Nine idlers, then, freeing all but the disabled, those caring for them and boozers.  So how many pathways are there from Hell into the fortress?  Let me count the ways.  It seems there are hundreds – nice work on those Cathedrals, Kamikaze, I hope there’s an opportunity to finish them someday – but lots of stairs and unfinished walls, hundreds of pathways but all of them funneling through five chokepoints.  That I can see, Armok help us if I miss one.  OK, then.  With so few dwarves to work with, it’s going to be much easier “starting from scratch” so basically every labor was turned on with Therapist; we can deal with proper divisions later.  Only two dorfs were initially enabled with stone hauling and I can see why: there are multiple stone stockpiles so every dorf had been hauling stone to keep them filled.  There be a lot of loose boulders lying around this place so, those stockpiles were de-piled to become just stocks of rocks. 

These stairs are blocked from below by walls but that wooden pillar – is it hiding an open tile?  No way to tell and it’s open on the level below to fliers.  Which is faster, to wall off the hallway or make that singular pillar part of a wall?  (Deconstruction takes much longer than construction so, d-n the pillar and replacing it with a floor tile was not considered.)  Option #2 it is, with a mine tile set adjacent; that should be only two labors and minimal hauling to make that pillar part of a wall.  Shame it wasn’t covered by a floor tile to begin with. 

These stairs go down to the second cavern which may or may not be connected to lower levels; the entire map is not revealed.  They are being covered with floor tiles of nearest rough stone, the quickest way.  The bones of previous encounters litter the area.

Sealing these two points will isolate the fortress but cut us off from the marble quarry; that seems acceptable since there’s no telling how much time we have before uninvited guests arrive up top.  We can always dig down a separate shaft, isolating with raising bridges when we need the flux stones. 

Dumped and hidden: the stocks screen shows about half this fortress consists of forbidden goods.  Death items on the surface, OK, sure, but why are half the booze stocks forbidden?  They’re scattered all over, it’s not like they are all in that unreachable Depot.  Much of the forbidden fruit is in that unreachable depot so if we survive the next few days, Project #2 will be to reestablish connection with a new raising bridge to allow access.  (Most of the rest resides in what are clearly the remains of unsuccessful caravans, outside the walls.)  Grimmash was flummoxed trying to find the many dump sites.  Now, me too – z following dumped stone isn’t making things obvious so, all dumped stone is now un-dumped and hopefully that will eliminate some of those stacked hauling jobs that were keeping dorfs unnecessarily occupied.  Those shiny rooms for Kamikaze’s quarters?  There was more than one unmarked dump in there, mostly with obsidian stone.  I understand that a digging dwarf is a happy dwarf but dang, this place had hundreds of boulders of various types scattered around in various unmarked dumps (and some that had been dumped, then de-zoned but still hidden).  Finding them all meant scrolling dozens of times through dozens of tabbed, inventory stock screens to zoom to their location.  I’m not trying to turn this into an episode of Drunk Fortress but that was a two beer job. 

Other things noticed:
There are five warrens, oddly shaped and named, none of them for a hospital or civilian alert; used in the construction of the Hammer is my guess.  Civilians were restricted from some areas on the save so that might account for part of the labor issue.  I’m not going to worry about a civilian alert burrow until the Staircase to Hell is sealed and the outer gates are opened.  OK then, deep breath, unpausing –

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2014, 02:17:39 pm »

Dump zones:  I was able to isolate two in my brief attempt, through the following method:

All zones not in the fortress proper (the courtyard and down to the dining room) were removed en masse.

After that, I searched stocks for forbidden items.  I found two dumps still active - one into a channel inside the courtyard, one by the brazier outside the wall, in the little channel to the NW.  Removing those and building my own actually got dumping in order.

One thing that happened to me:  The butcher kept queueing up jobs.  I know I already said that, but figured it was worth restating.  I unbuilt the damn things.

Another tidbit:  After closing off the gaps you reported, somehow a fire elemental still got into the hallway for the wells.  Then it just stopped.  So there are other gaps to be plugged.  I recommend hatches/bridges along the central stair, and maybe restrain or pasture a domestic at various spots on the stairs.  Then you can at least have some early warning if you miss a spot.  Or just bridge off the whole stairwell, fix up the current fort, and let someone else deal with it later.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:00 pm »

Lots of immediate action, Wraith against Undead.  FPS runs on my laptop at 17.  The 9 idlers almost immediately became 2 – despite Forbid orders, dorfs are claiming dead and dead items.  That occurs at death so maybe my new orders aren’t in effect yet.  One dorf (Sgt. Arus Tong) found himself on the wrong side of those new floor tiles so we’ll see how fast he can wall off The Hammer and those four downward stairs.  If he’s successful, we’ll have access to the marble quarry again.  If he isn’t, we’ll have 16 dwarves.   

He got the wall up and two of the stairways covered before deciding he had something else better to do.  McMuzz Bank, the Manager is coming to take over.  Checking to see what everyone’s up to and – L’Meire has decided to take archery practice?  No no no – all squads are inactive so what’s the deal?  He won’t stop so, squad detail and those seven squads had a very detailed train/burrow/defend schedule.  Had. 

Day Seven.
Cleaning of patients stops, we’re out of water.  Stock screen says we have plenty of water, four listings in fact.  Tab view shows they’re all contaminated with something.  Without water we’ll lose 4 of our 17 to infection so some booze is being sacrificed at the four distilleries (!) and brewery to make water. 

The wells.

3 wells offset from the marble quarry, dropping down four levels to the lake on 66.  Protected by four sets of double doors from anything coming up from below.  Uh huh.  At least they’re closed and locked, now.

Still only two idlers; 4 now in the infirmary, the caretakers, 2 making booze to water (next is soap) and 2 that won’t stop hauling furniture to stockpiles.  I don’t get it – those stockpiles are nothing special, setting to take/give to everywhere, why isn’t the furniture that we certainly don’t need just stacking up in a cluttered workshop?  No jobs are showing, they’re hauling anyway.  We have a ghost (McFengyun), will need to carve a slab soon. 

Eight days in.  733 Others now showing, meaning 2 undead have fallen to the wraiths in the past week.  2 of 735.  In the meantime, a Spirit of Fire has joined in down below. 

I saved the game at this point.  FPS is running 17 – 19 from all the combat between our lower friends.  If things blow up and it’s necessary to hand off to Proto105 or someone with a better processor and more memory, at least those things will be covered and the lower levels are now isolated – except for those wells which evidently aren’t being used anyhow since our medical corps is reporting job cancellations from lack of water. 

Dump zones:  I was able to isolate two in my brief attempt, through the following method:

All zones not in the fortress proper (the courtyard and down to the dining room) were removed en masse.

After that, I searched stocks for forbidden items.  I found two dumps still active - one into a channel inside the courtyard, one by the brazier outside the wall, in the little channel to the NW.  Removing those and building my own actually got dumping in order.

Thanks.

One thing that happened to me:  The butcher kept queueing up jobs.  I know I already said that, but figured it was worth restating.  I unbuilt the damn things.

Another tidbit:  After closing off the gaps you reported, somehow a fire elemental still got into the hallway for the wells.  Then it just stopped.  So there are other gaps to be plugged.  I recommend hatches/bridges along the central stair, and maybe restrain or pasture a domestic at various spots on the stairs.  Then you can at least have some early warning if you miss a spot.  Or just bridge off the whole stairwell, fix up the current fort, and let someone else deal with it later.

Don’t tempt me.   :)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »

Any dwarf part of a squad may decide at any time to do some training/archery practice, even if the squad is inactive and no schedule is set.
For rookie archers in vanilla it is often times more efficient to keep the squad inactive and turn off all their jobs, as for some reasons, active archers with almost no skill love to refuse archery practice, while inactive soldiers love to practice

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2014, 04:29:56 pm »

“What do you mean, this is MY mess to clean up?”
“You’re the new Overseer, O Mighty One.  You were summoned here for that purpose.  Everyone would be present to greet you but most everyone is in the hospital.”  The little snot was grinning widely now.
“But it’s a mistake!  I’m not from MountainHome and I’m not a sorcerer!  I’m just a brewer.  How could this happen??”
“Yeah, well … happened to me, too.  The best I can figure it, this Magyk Portal of theirs doesn’t work quite right.  My mother is a powerful sorceress and was standing next to me when I was taken.  MountainHome: I still don’t get that part, either.”
At least that was a partial explanation; jimboo had been sleeping next to a Legend +4 witch when it happened to him. 
“But I still can’t do anything.  You have to help me get back.”
“Oh no, I don’t.  I have my own plan for myself and even if it works, it will take at least three more months.  You see, only the High Priest knows how the Portal works – or is supposed to work – and he’s secluded in a spiritual retreat until the next season.  You’re it, Overseer.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m tasked to make soap for the hospital.”
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46