Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49464 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2014, 06:14:58 am »

This is amazing. :) I have never seen a fort like this. I just hope we get lots and lots of gold for the Townportal, and build some hellfire or web turrets. Webbed cagetraps vs. HFS. There should also be Obsidian Colossi running around at the bottom of the structure.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2014, 07:12:56 am »

Well, it was a plan.  The frost wraiths and the undead are certainly having a go at each other now that they’re exposed and that will likely help some with the numbers but on my laptop, the FPS runs the save below 20, which is when players at ☼Hearts of Banner☼ abandoned that fortress. 

Grimmash!  G’luck and may I suggest you do something soon about all the many openings from those depths to the working levels?  A pillar is not a wall and doesn’t stop movement. 

“The best-laid plans o’ dwarves an’ men … and whatnot.  Whatever.”  -- Urist Burns.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:55:13 pm by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:53 am »

A technical question about how DF works...
The demons are generated, once the area is breached? If so, then this cavein has not created them, as they were generated already in the save after year 1 as part of those evil 4000.
But no matter how terrible this situation may be, I love how this fortress is going. Everything adding to the entertainment value :)
And it is also good to see, kamikazi did not break with the tradition of killing 1-2 dwarves during the year :P

and about the save: my laptop runs it around 40 fps once i unpause, it looks playable to me. But DFHack cleaning the corpses and waiting until the undeads and demons have finished their fun business should improve that even further.

And back to the game...
As I think the situation with our inflated value can't become much worse...(we can't fight anything heads on anyway) You could consider mining out more adamantine. I checked the save, and no one continued mining it after my turn. But even on the current top level there are still safe tiles. And you can dig deeper in some distance and then approach the spire again to cut off the safe parts. Just remember that the evil thing always require a 2x2 chamber, so every tile that is not at least part of 4 in a row vertically and horizontally is safe to mine.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:55 am »

You can dig the adamantine ring in the caverns, if the demons dont have access to it.

The demons were already generated when the map loaded, no worries. No one spawned anything. Otherwise you would have gotten a pop-up message. I just dont know what happens if a dwarf comes into line of sight with the underground passage. It might trigger a new wave of demons.

I still think that walling off the surface, getting labor force from the Townportal, getting fighting creatures from the Machine Factory, and battling the underground would be the nicest way to go about this.

I would also like to leave this here: Its an updated spawn.lua that allow summoned creatures to use interactions. Otherwise turrets and landmines would be a bit more quite then expected. I am not sure if its already in the save, but I think its not...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2014, 12:39:45 pm »

Oh yea I guarantee there are millions of severed body parts down there. Within seconds of the hammer falling the demons were triggering sound sense achievements like witnessed 10 decapitations. A DFHack clean or pouring lava down when the fight is over would help fps a ton.

Be careful of that adamantine ring in the caverns. I think there are forgotten beasts near it. Also I know I've seen demons flying where the cave in hammer was so they can reach there. But I haven't seen them in a cavern.

I agree Meph this fort is crazy interesting I hope it lasts a while. My forts tend to be fairly boring with safe zones and good volcano embarks. I've always wanted to play a fairly insane fort like this one.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »

"Fairly insane" describes a goodly number of religions...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2014, 07:52:35 am »

I wonder if breaching the Adamantine spire would even cause anything... with the demons already out on the other side of the map. I know they would have a valid path and in the long run it would be our doom, but I am just curious if it would trigger another wave or not.

I think I will download the save and try it out. :)

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:58 am »

Could i be  teleported?

A sturdy Creature, fond of drinking, praying to armok and slaying demons,

proffession Battlepriest?

Last turn was written *masterfully*. And the fort is very interesting!

True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 18, 2014, 12:42:12 pm »

I'll try to teleport you in if I can.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:17 pm »

I'd like to be dwarfed at some future point, if that's alright. I'd prefer a male dwarf, profesion doesn't matter much. Also, this is a very interesting idea for a sucesion game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »

this is a very interesting idea for a sucesion game.
Yep, it was planned from the beginning. Careful selection of the site, making 100% sure that a curious structure is available, checking for the thousands of enemies... totally planned. :P

Well, I am glad it turned out to be a bit exciting. Havent found the time yet to check the save, but the story is gold. :)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:36 pm »

Still working on this.  Anyone know how to find a zone?  I'm trying to figure out where all the dump zones are and get rid of them.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:25 pm »

I have been reading this, it is a very nice story. Can I be townportaled in as someone12345? I may want to take a turn; I will think about it. However, I am a total noob and may end up destroying everything.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2014, 10:54:46 pm »

Still working on this.  Anyone know how to find a zone?  I'm trying to figure out where all the dump zones are and get rid of them.

Eh I'm not sure if I made any dump zones.  I might have made one where Pi was.  I think at the last minute I was going to try and dump a crutch on him, then reclaim it and make that a crutch stockpile.

The best best is probably dump a random stone mug and watch the dwarf take it.  Then unassign the dump zone and see if they take it anywhere else.  As far as I could tell while playing we didn't have any quantum stockpiles going.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2014, 12:09:06 am »

I'd like a turn with this fort if it survives that long. I adore the story and I've never seen a Curious Underground Structure before.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46