Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49486 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:51 am »

I hope it works. I always thought that the height of the drop determines how deep the rocks penetrate. So if your hammer falls 1 z-level, it cuts through 1 z-level of slade...

And my god, you got an ambush with spiders, and a flying forgotten beast with webs? I hope you will survive that. I am still for setting the surface on fire at some point, just to rat out all these hidden ambushes that have build up. Of course most of the tradegoods lying around would be gone...

And building the chemist on flameable ground near all the farms/tradegoods/food. Yikes. :D

EDIT: One more thing: Metalsmiths Forge => Other Objetcts => Mint Coins. Thats where the coins come from. Its a vanilla DF thing, and you dont need the mint to make coins. The mint is just more efficient.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:31:00 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2014, 09:56:28 am »

Awesome write up so far.  Glad i have become the elfcutioner.  My only quibble is that I have not actual been overseer yet :).

I hope the hammer works.  Are you going to clear out all that ore first, or just consign it to the cost of wiping out the undead?

Meph, cave ins fall through all floors until they hit un-dug stone.  It can get wonky if you drop whole undug floors, but if you drop a floor it just keeps going all they way down until it hits rock.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2014, 12:14:20 pm »

But do individual tiles stop it? Lets say you have a 10x10 block, and one corner its undug stone, will 1 tile stop falling, or the entire 10x10 block disintegrate?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »

Dear diary:

Stepping down was the right decision.  Although the Hammer-Temple of Armok is on hold, it will be completed someday; I have that faith in my brethren.  I worry, though, about the new overseer.  I suspect him of being a heretic.

He constructed the Hammer of Armok to smite our enemies, but in conversation with him, it sounds like he believes that the striking surface of Armok's hammer is square, when all know that truly it is round.

We must be cautious.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »

But do individual tiles stop it? Lets say you have a 10x10 block, and one corner its undug stone, will 1 tile stop falling, or the entire 10x10 block disintegrate?

I actually started a thread about this in normal DF questions about the mechanics.  Apparently the consensus is that as the cave in falls each block becomes a separate entity.  So that 1 in the corner would stop falling but the 99 others would fall through floors until they each hit a block.  My hammer won't kill them all from a few random blocked parts, but it should really slaughter a ton.  I really hope you're wrong about the height mattering.  I'll go insane if it stops after one level haha.

Dear diary:

Stepping down was the right decision.  Although the Hammer-Temple of Armok is on hold, it will be completed someday; I have that faith in my brethren.  I worry, though, about the new overseer.  I suspect him of being a heretic.

He constructed the Hammer of Armok to smite our enemies, but in conversation with him, it sounds like he believes that the striking surface of Armok's hammer is square, when all know that truly it is round.

We must be cautious.

Haha sorry about the temple area.  It was very cool but just so close to the undead I couldn't build around it.  Hopefully the next overseer will replace the floors I had to cut out.  I actually built several supports in the temple just to make sure none of it fell down.  The ramps were messing with my head and I wasn't sure if there would be support while I dug out the top level of the hammer.

Also I always suspected you were a round hammer believer.  We don't have enough dwarves to risk an uprising here.  The debate of square vs round has already cost too many lives in the holy war back in the mountain homes.  For now we will say that my slightly odd shaped hammer could simply never measure up to Armok's true might.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:36:14 pm by kamikazi1231 »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »

Awesome write up so far.  Glad i have become the elfcutioner.  My only quibble is that I have not actual been overseer yet :).

I hope the hammer works.  Are you going to clear out all that ore first, or just consign it to the cost of wiping out the undead?

Meph, cave ins fall through all floors until they hit un-dug stone.  It can get wonky if you drop whole undug floors, but if you drop a floor it just keeps going all they way down until it hits rock.

Oh wow yea I totally forgot about that. I kept going off the list haha.

I might try to dump a few of the best ore and gems, but there honestly wasn't a ton there.  That slade is just so heavy.

Also most of the floor I'm dropping is undug.  Would it be better if it was just floors falling?  I don't know if I'll have time for that though haha.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:31:41 pm by kamikazi1231 »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2014, 02:10:25 pm »

na, entire levels falling is fine ^^ makes no difference if you are that far

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:24 pm »

When you do not care about what is underneath surviving, just drop the hammer, as it were.  Floor, rock, whatever.  The point here is to just kill lots of stuff, and I am sure the current layout will put a big dent in the undead even if you miss a few.  As a bonus, more levels can always be dug out into another hammer.  First one falls, clear another floor, drop it, repeat until satisfied.

Another more dangerous strategy for lower levels is obisidian casting.  Slower, harder, but if done properly it can be used to clear a floor at a time, and plug holes as you go.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:06 pm »

Just lets hope that it doesnt do anything to that glowing floor. Otherwise we kill 2000 undeads, and replace them with 2000 things that are way, way worse.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2014, 10:59:55 pm »

Winter,

9th Moonstone, 35.  My time as leader of this fortress will soon be coming to an end.  I have reached Legendary status for my ability to pray to the Blood God Armok.  In a few months I will begin my meditation to become the High Priest spiritual leader of this fortress.  The Hammer is nearing completion.  I can only hope our designs are sound and we can stop the evil waiting below.  I swear even high in my quarters I can hear them scratching at the rocks and calling in the dark.

Meph has informed me that I am not insane and in fact we were producing coins before from the metalsmiths forge.  I don’t know why I didn’t think of this.  If we can shape deadly instruments from holy Adamantine then surely we could pound a bit of metal into round coins.  This is fine though as the coin mint is operational and churning out gold coins.  I have ordered another worker from the mountain homes.

19th Moonstone, 35.  A new citizen has joined us from the mountain homes.  She is simply called “peasant.”  A humble name in our society dedicated to Armok.  Perhaps she will take on a new name if one can be found.

20th Moonstone, 35.  Another great forgotten beast has come!  Disgusting.  It better stay down in those caverns for now.  Perhaps one day we will have the military might to venture forth and wipe these monstrosities out from the deeps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

26th Moonstone, 35.  I have decided to begin my meditation early towards becoming a high priest.  I hope that my prayers will be heard and Armok will bless our hammer to wipe out our enemies.  The goblin horde is still outside amongst the corpses of our caravan.  Some of them made it into the trade depot before being overwhelmed by the drowspider mounts and goblin bolts.  After the hammer falls I shall have the depot sealed and we can bury what dead we can find and claim the goods.

16th Opal, 35.  In his excitement to dig out the final few channels Mc Mahrgell dug out a bit of stone from under Urists feet causing him to fall and break his leg.  While he is new to the fort I hope not to lose him.  Hopefully he can crawl his way out from under the hammer in time.

25th Opal, 35.  Urist has made it out from under the hammer.  McMeph does the honor of placing the last wall to make sure nothing can enter the fort from the hole the hammer will create.  In honor of this occasion as soon as he places the wall he lays one of his good shoes by the block in memory of all lost dwarves fighting the undead.

3rd Obsidian, 35.  LET THE HAMMER FALL!  The lever is thrown and the great hammer collapses.  A sickening crunch is heard from below as we yell out a cheer.  We hear the rush of liquids and steam and the telltale sign of magma mist deep below. 

Moments after the crunch we hear a great roar rising up from the structure below.  This time even louder than before.  Amongst the roaring undead we can hear the telltale screetches of frost wraiths and bellowing roars of DevilKin! 

By Armok I don’t know what to do.  I hope that some of the demons and frost wraiths are susceptible to the magma that is flowing in some parts of the structure.  Much of the upper structure has been crushed and few undead remain.  We may be able to take these structures with well trained troops and machines.   I am afraid to wipe out the remains of the undead army we will need another Hammer.  It would appear that a few DevilKin are fighting the undead. Perhaps whatever was keeping the undead in check has fallen to the Hammer.  Let us hope the DevilKin can fight through another 1000 animated corpses.

6th Obsidian, 35.  I still hear the battle raging below.  Thank Armok we had the foresight to seal ourselves away from the hammer.  Through small cracks I can see demons flying around inside the former chamber.  They, along with the Ice Wraiths, are fighting the Undead.  I have witnesses many many beheadings.  It appears to be a favorite way for demons to kill.  I fear we will not be seeing migrants any time soon.  But hopefully we have provided some relief.

8th Obsidian, 35.  The commotion is so terrible we have decided to head to the surface to escape it for now.  Our next priority is clearing out the trade depot of the kangaroos infesting it.  More blood for the Blood God!

At the same time an ambush springs.. on nothing.  They proceed to fire all of their bolts at this frozen pond. Must be the same goblin group that kidnapped the giant bane spider earlier.

12th Obsidian, 35.  It is pure chaos.  The goblins brought giant war bats with them.  While I military responded Timeless Bob decided he would take a stroll along the top of our walls.  Despite my explicit order for civilian alert in the main halls, he was filled with iron arrows and murdered by the goblins from the outside.

McMeph and Pi Age were both injured in the fight with the giant bat.  Suprisingly Pi Age was injured by bolts from the invaders outside the walls.  I don’t know how but they are firing through the walls.  They will need to be thickened.  Mc Meph is currently being diagnosed for his injuries.  His right thigh is broken, right thigh is cut open, left hand is torn open, and chest is cut open.  I hope he recovers.

Pi Age is still awaiting rescue on the surface.  Her left thigh is broken, left thigh cut open, and chest is cut open. 

We are at 17 Dwarves.  Wait.. where is our chief medical dwarf?
We spot him on top of our southern wall.  No recent announcements but I can see through death cause he was riddled with arrows.  Dwarves walking in circles along our walls has been a constant thorn in my side since I arrived at this fort.  We may need to completely retreat underground.

We must have vengeance.  We make a break for it and use the brazier outside our walls.  Burn you goblin bastards!  Burn!  The Blood God with have your boiled blood!

16th Obsidian, 35. By all that is holy!  We are dwarves why would we build out of wood.  The outer trade bridge was down and caught fire.  It is burned to ash.  The goblins were about to pour in when Grimmash noticed the trouble.  She rushed as quick as she could and pulled the lever on the inner trade gate.  I saw a iron bolt fly through the air and it hit the bridge just as it rose.  If not for her quickness in pulling the lever it would have landed squarely between Grimmash’s eyes.  The land is burnt to ash but the goblins are unharmed.  Smart of them to not wear cloth.  Shashad has taken on the role of emergency chief medical dwarf with very little skills to speak of.

19th Obsidian, 35.  A makeshift hospital has been set up in the main metal processing room.  Four beds, four tables, a few cabinets, a chest, and four traction benches.  I’ve ordered that the breweries begin pulling water from booze… it hurts inside just saying such a thing.  But it is necessary for our dwarves to have water while injured.  I hope that soon they will be taken to the hospital.  McMeph is being diagnosed as I write this.

24th Obsidian, 35.  It is by Armoks grace that we survive.  The wooden bridge in the north west corner of our fortress burned while raised.  No one noticed.  The goblins were luckily unaware of this as they had over a week to walk in at any time.  That would have ended us.  Note to future rulers, no wooden constructions unless they are actual walls.  Also do not fight giant death bats!  Do not ever fight giant death bats!

28th Obsidian, 35.  My time here as ruler is almost up.  I don’t want to pass on the rule of this fortress with it in such a sorry state.  I have been informed there was already a hospital set up in the main dining room of all places.  I am setting up traction benches there.  It will be painful to set the bones.

Armok demands blood but works in mysterious ways.  After all this time why does he gift goblins with the ability to fire iron bolts through our walls or send ravenous death bats at us?  Also why would a raised drawbridge burn, even if it was made of wood.  I will have to pray much at the altar of the minor god Wiki to find the answers.

1st Granite, 36.  My time is up.  I will request of my successor to give me a life of prayer.  Be it sacrificing souls, hearts, or praying day and night at the Shrine of Armok to appease the Blood God and bring us better fortune.

The land around our fortress is burnt and dead.  There was no snow at all this year despite the rivers freezing and no signs of the ice giants.  There are death bats, goblins, and Armok knows what else outside our walls amongst the corpses of our bretheren.

The Hammer of Armok exposed more undead and unleashed the demons of Hell upon us.  From now on I have written that The Hammer shall be known as Kamikazi’s Bane.  However I ordered on the last day of spring that all dwarves peer into the shaft that held Kamikazi’s Bane to count the undead.  The demons are unstoppable.

In only a few weeks the demons have methodically slaughtered nearly 600 undead.  At this rate the undead will be completely wiped out.  Perhaps then we can get migrants through.
We have massive food and drink stockpiles and 18 dwarves if I include myself becoming a high priest.  The coin mint is up. So is the Armory, Weaponry, Alchemist Lab, and Chemist Lab.  We have batches of black powder.  I would suggest we start on the machine factory research if we can.

While some dwarves are injured they are being diagnosed and should recover if fed and they get water.  Pi is still on the surface complaining he needs a crutch which no one will bring to him.  Some workshops are using profiles so keep that in mind.  Mostly it’s the religious buildings to force my dwarf to pray.

I’m a little fearful of the wells leading to the third cavern.  If demons escape or a flying forgotten beast find their way there we will be in trouble.  At least we have amazing weapons and good fighters.

I’m sorry I couldn’t mention more of you by name.  So much was just spent on random hauling and digging to make the cave in happen.  At the moment everyone is in a burrow that encompasses all of our underground and the above ground courtyard.  This should prevent our dwarves from running along the outer walls and being slaughtered like they keep doing.

Good luck my fellow dwarves.  If you need me I will be praying to Armok for reprieve from the madness and for soft metals.  If I am needed call upon me again.

Here’s the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8327
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:21:52 pm by kamikazi1231 »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »

If no one objects, I'll pick this up and start trying to build between the undead, demons, and goblin hordes.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:04 am »

If no one objects, I'll pick this up and start trying to build between the undead, demons, and goblin hordes.

If there is anyone to run it it should be you.  Every time something important happened in my playthrough your dwarf was there.  You slaughtered elves, orcs, goblins, war bats, and were the only one who responded to close the main gate before spider riding goblins got in.  You are maxed out on tree cutting so you could probably add yourself to the legionnaires guild or something for extra toughness.

I don't know how it will run for you but for me the FPS is much better than before with occasional dips.  You could probably try running the fix dead script once the demons wipe out all the undead.  It'll probably happen before summer.

Sorry about the sorry state of the fortress.  Also I've found that requested dwarfs from the townportal will instantly show up on therapist so that is useful.  But I couldn't make them nobles for some reason.  Not sure if they need something special first like slaughtering a moleweasel.

Also surprisingly the only mildly unhappy dwarf is Pi up there on the surface.  I'm really bad with managing militaries and hospitals so hopefully you can get it back up to speed.  I also had way more miners then needed and still barely got the Hammer completed.  They could probably go back to doing something more useful now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:50:55 am by kamikazi1231 »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:14 am »

I should have known.  It was a sign from Armok all along.

The heretic was so sure of himself.  And his words made sense.  We had lost too many to the roundite and squarian conflicts, we had too few to spare. 

But I know now, Armok had me build the Hammer-Temple there for a reason.  It had to be there, the capstone on the undead, to prevent the breaking of the seals.  I permitted the heretic to defile the Hammer-Temple, to launch Kamikazi's Bane.

I know now how great a folly this was.  I suspect an even darker truth - that the undead, foul though they are, are not truly the horrors of the dark.  Instead they are guardians bound to a trust in ages long forgotten, bound by oaths - perhaps even oaths to Armok himself - to the guardianship of the things in the depths.  We, the middle people, who dwell between the air and the magma, were meant by Armok to build the Hammer-Temple and reinforce the guardians in the depths.

We have failed.  And the fault is as much mine as his.  There is no point to vengeance; he was a pawn of the enemy, no more.

But it is not too late.  I will do what I can, before the end.  I see one fate for myself stretching out along the ages.  I will do it, and gladly, if it must be done.  I will be Armok's sword if I can.

Armok.  Grant me just one thing.  That my death, my fate, bring you a chuckle, or at least a grin.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:40 am »

Well, I'm glad my dorf did something useful!

I've conscripted more miners, actually. 

First thoughts looking at the save.

Of 17 dwarves, 9 are militia.  Might have to fix this.  We have enough loot to eventually arm everyone in steel and mithril in gaps.  We need a new water source.  The defenses need work.  Embassy exists, so migrants are going to be called in.  Pi is going to die.  He won't move and no one will move him, and he is already dehydrated.  Drow ambushed within days.  The undead and demons are fighting, and in 15 days, 100 were dead.  The undead are thinning out the demons, not sure at what rate the two are going at it.  I can't find the bottom of the structure, so I think that means we breached HFS, but I can't see where or how.  Or not... I don't know.  That will be a goal for later.  Water + lava may be used, or an atom smasher, to further deplete the hordes below.  Probably atom smasher.

We have so many FBs running around, I am going to dig new wells off the river and destroy the current wells.  I cannot see if the caverns connect, and at least one FB is a flyer.

/end random thoughts.  This should be a most interesting turn.  Armok help us :).

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:30 am »

Remember no wood when you rebuild those defenses.  Obsidian is the true Dwarfy way haha. I agree that the early defenses should have been up before we struck the Adamantine.  Probably could have used a larger above ground area and a moat around the whole thing so we could put ground level siege engines in to fire across them.

I can't wait to see how you handle the beginning of the playthrough.  So far nothing has come up the wells from cavern 3.  I checked all over that should be the only possible breach for us from below.

Oh and another thing for some reason I had trouble moving the cage with the ice giant.  I was going to originally pit him into the undead but they woudn't haul him down.  I think it may have been too much slag in the way.  I tested that catapult in the middle of the courtyard and it doesn't want to throw cages over the walls with the siege plugin.  So might not be best to try and throw the Ice Giant out haha.

Have fun!  And remember I'm a legendary prayer.  When I put my character on the shrine I was pumping out platinum and gold bars extremely quick.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 46