Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49488 times)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:20 am »

I'll PM Grimmash.  Once I hear back I'll start my turn or let you know what's going on.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:48 am »

What do you mean with shoggoths and balrogs affecting anything?

[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:DWARF:ALL] => This means all castes of the creature dwarf.

Hellfire turrets use dragonfire, which melts even magmasafe materials. Hellfire landmines use a custom material that is equally hot. The turret works for sure. Or high level fire mages could work.

I love how we have this one problem that would have barely any solutions in vanilla DF, and we just cycle through options like crazy. Would A work? No? Try B. Then Try C-Z.
  :)

What do you mean with shoggoths and balrogs affecting anything?
I meant, from the SYN_AFFECTED, does CREATURE:DWARF:ALL mean only dwarves or does the :ALL mean everything in DF? (Your answer: only dwarves).  I was looking around in the raws for anything else to throw against undead and the SYN_AFFECTED line is in the description for balrogs and shoggoths.  In LOTR, there’s that scene where Saruman says to Gandalf, “The dwarves were greedy.  They dug too deep.  You know what they found there.”  He was referring to the Balrog, the most bad-ass thing in Middle Earth except for Sauron.  Who was undead, come to think of it …

So,
So far we’ve come up with hellfire turrets for dragonfire, hellfire landmines, high-level fire mages, the White Witch Hunter and actual dragons.  Is that it?  Anything else affect an undead?  If the WWH was standing behind a fortification, would that be an advantage?  If the WWH was standing next to a high-level earth mage (or three), would the dust clouds extend the lifespan of the Hunter or just ruin his sanctifying aim?   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:56 am »

A cavein can kill thousands with one strike.

Atom-smashing bridges are easy, cheap and can kill hundrets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2014, 09:36:55 am »

Hey guys.  Regarding turns, Actually played almost all of Silvergoose last night.  I'll be finishing and writing up tonight.  As for this fort, I would not mind a day or so of breather to work on other projects.  So if Kamikaze wants to start, by all means do so.  I also have not tested the save yet, so if he has a plan and can get it cracking, do it!

I should be ready in a few days, so put me back into rotation where ever you guys see fit.  My burn out has passed, as I managed to get the forts I had off my plate and do some non-df stuff over the weekend.  So many competing projects...

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2014, 09:43:20 am »

Alright I'll start my playthrough.  I'll do my best to wipe out some undead.  Last time I checked I get about 45fps.  I'll be using Mephs save from a few pages back after he organized things a little, finished off the winter, and updated the naming list.  Should get a post up hopefully sometime late Wednesday US- Mountain time.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »

I just want to note that Splint, fearless leader of Spearbreakers, creator and slayer of the Spawn of Holisitic, has officially given up on solving this problem.  There has to be something special in that.

What have you done? Have the Gods forsaken you?!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:16 pm »

1st Granite, 35.  So begins the log of Kamikazi.  This morning I was summoned by the lord of Inglazzaneg, Kib Zanegbakat himself.  In attendance was his jeweler queen, Birut.  With her golden beard and wide set eyes it is said she is so beautiful a dwarf of the cloth may give up his celibacy at the sight of her.  I though am stronger than this and am married only to the blood God, in death do we join.  The meeting concerned a messenger from the wizards guild.  After all these years of isolation we had finally heard from Nilkulet Anil Nom, Hammerabbey the Glory of God.  Many of us had believed the fortress lost.  But apparently a town portal link had been opened and they were requesting assistance.  I have been chosen to travel there and render assistance.  Nilkulet was supposed to be a new religious mecca for our people, I hope in all these years it has become such.

11th Granite, 35.  With a fizz and flash of light the town portal opens before me.  This is not a magic of Armok, but it is necessary in these dark times.  I step through and feel as though I have turned inside out and back again.  I always hate travelling this way.  I just don’t feel right when my feet aren’t touching the stone we were born from. 

As I step through I am greeted by two dwarves known as McMeph and Grimmash.  Each leaders of this fortress for a time.  They bring me up to speed.  We are 18 strong and out of necessity have developed strong skills to survive.  They wonder after all this time why no more migrants have come.  I let them know the dark truth.
Soon after the founding of this fortress our mortal enemies the frost giants descended on the land.  A great horde of the ilk have gathered and surrounded Nilkulet.  No matter how many dwarves we throw against them their numbers are too great.  Migrants foolishly still tried to reach the fortress,  I have no idea if they even made it that far.  I was informed by Grimmash that no migrants were ever seen on the horizon.  They must have all been cut down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After this we attempted to reach them via the deep roads.  Something dark was happening there.  Around the same time as the front giants took the surface hordes of scared animal people began streaming towards the mountain homes through the caverns and deep roads.  They came in peace and were offered asylum within our Kingdom in exchange for hard labor and sending their warriors against the frost giants.  Soon these refugees slowed.. and something darker began coming from the deep.

A great horde of undead animal people streamed up from the deep roads and overwhelmed the outer fortresses.  They are without number and unstoppable.  They are legion.  We have sealed many deep roads and the open ones are guarded by The Legion of Armok and thousands of Golems.  We have held them off for now.  But we do not know the source.
McMeph informs me that he knows the source.  Deep below Nilkulet a mysterious structure was found.  From it stream the undead in all directions.

12th Granite, 35.  I have assumed the leadership position of this fortress.  I will from now on be known as Kamikazi, Armok’s Prophet.  I have ordered the construction of a great crushing piston to be caved in on the undead.  We will send them straight to hell.  This piston will be known as Armok’s Hammer.  May the destruction and homage stay Armok from reforging our world upon the Anvil of Ages with his true Hammer.

Hail Armok, Blood for the Blood God.

15th Granite, 35.  I watched from the battlements today as a moleweasel dies horribly outside the fortress. Crushed to death by a powerful blow from a frost giant.  At the same time Meg Helmet, our Cook of Cooks apparently, has been frightened by a forgotten beast known as Seviro Volturius Tuber.  It is a giant one eyes sauropod with two tails and it undulates rhythmically.  It spews webs and its colored scarlet.  I have no idea why so many of these ancient creatures undulate constantly.  The roaring up the well would scare anyone trying to get a drink though.  I also begin working on the monastery in the muddy soil part of the fortress.

21st Granite, 35.  With basic orders set in motion I have begun my meditation in the monastery towards priesthood.  I must become closer to Armok to lead this fortress from the darkness that plagues us.

1st Slate 35,  I have been interrupted and told that a terrible blizzard is upon us.  It can’t be a coincidence that the horrendous ice giants are pounding on our walls outside.  I only hope the wooden walls we have built can hold back creatures of pure ice and death that have come to destroy everything warm and good in this world.  I have made a mental note that after the Hammer of Armok is done being constructed I will have the walls replaced with Obsidian and thickened to allow archers on them.  The volcanic glass walls should surely enrage our frozen nemesis.

6th Slate 35, Our genius mechanics dwarves have finally been able to replicate some machinery from the mountain homes.  We now have access to workshops to produce Full Platemail Armor in the Armory, and a Weaponry to improve our already amazing weapons.  Armok be praised.  Soon we may be able to lift the evil veil that surrounds this fortress.  I have ordered that another worker be summoned from the Mountain Homes.  Why we must use gold for this in such trying times I will never know.  The wizards guild refuses to allow passage without gold.  I wonder perchance if they have a deal with another deity to use these magics other than Armok.  I will consider an inquisition into the matter.

23rd Slate 35,  A worker who calls herself Urist has come through the portal.  No last name.  No history on record.  Just who is this mysterious worker?  We will have to think of a better name so the others don’t treat her improperly.  For now she shall join the dig crew on the Hammer.

25th of Slate 35.  The elven diplomat within our walls keeps interrupting my meditation.  Ive ordered all trees within our walls to be cut down to make his stay here as uncomfortable as possible.  There were only 3 trees.  However our wooden walls should do well to remind him of what we think of his people.  A scream was also heard from the hills today.  A drow ambassador has been running from the slowly advancing ice giants for months.  I’d let you in poor drow, but there’s no way in hell we are letting the ice giants in before Armok blesses us with the means to destroy them.

26th of Slate 35.  The elf continues to insult Armok.  I have ordered him executed.  Grimmash, the last expedition leader before Meph takes care of the job nicely. It appears we caught him with his pants down. In a single blow of the Adamantine Axe the elf is cut in half.  The same axe that fell the three trees in our courtyard was used to fell him.  It takes few minutes to die, but finally we are free of the elven squabbling. 

Hail Armok. Blood for the Blood God.

2nd of Felsite, 35.  A terrible commotion from below.  Two forgotten beasts are fighting.  It’s Unaban and Speck!  Unaban in a single blow destroy Speck.  But in the process, Unaban, the great dread spider that squirms and fidgets breaks several legs and is “gushing” ichor everywhere.

8th Felsite, 35.  The snow has melted in late spring.  Rivers are still frozen over.  I hope the damnable ice giants melt in the high waters.  A goat has also died in our cages.  I could not convince my fellow dwarves it existed to be pastured despite it being in the middle of our main stockpile.  The poor thing died a death of dehydration.  There will be no blood for the Blood God with this death.
11th Felsite, 35.  LMeire, who still calls herself Overseer for some reason built a floor hatch over the dark underground of undead.  In celebration she fired several bone javelins made from rhesus macaque bones at several koala and python man corpse undeads.  They were completely unharmed by the attacks.  Still I like her spirit.  If I remember and am generous she will get to the pull the lever on the Hammer of Armok.

15th Felsite, 35.  I just got the sad word today that a kidnapper made off with someone.  However that something was apparently a giant blade spider… poor goblin must have got confused.  Also everyone seems to be complaining of injury, but on inspection they are just drowsy.  I feel that many here have never truly been wounded in combat and have no idea what an injury is.  I guess that just goes along with being part of the first generation.

18th Felsite.  The rivers melt instantly.  What a strange land.  Also the elves have appeared for trade.  I’m glad they haven’t missed their slaughtered comrade yet.  At the same time an ambush curse them!  The poor drow ambassador from before takes several bolts from the goblins but manages to flee.

27th Felsite:  After letting the hated elves soften up the goblins a bit we rush forward with our militia.  Dohon skillfully wields his adamantine axe! Pieces were everywhere.  The ground soaked through with blood. Armok will be pleased.  Still goblins wearing a few scraps of iron are no challenge for masterfully crafted adamantine.  A few days late summer arrives.  The goblins are driven off and the elves have made it safely to our trade depot.  The ice giants have finally retreated away from our immediate outskirts, but I know they will return.  I just hope after wiping out the undead The Legion of Armok can focus on the ice giants to let migrants through.

So summer begins. We are 19 strong. Hail Armok, Blood for the Blood God!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:32:23 pm by kamikazi1231 »

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:35 pm »

An unnamed dwarves account of the abduction.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2014, 10:30:15 pm »

Mensrea... you are amazing

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:31 pm »

Summer,

9th Hematite, 35.  We trade the elves some pointy bones from blendecs calling them “javelins.”  In enchange they give us several bars of tin and a bar of mithril.  Stupid tree huggers.  The elves, while wearing mithril, are barely wearing any of it.  I am undecided on whether or not to slaughter them all and take all their goods.  The only thing that stays my hand is we are very busy at the moment.  There would be no one to haul these goods in and it would make the time to complete the hammer much longer.  For the hell of it I have ordered the lever pulled on the internal trade bridge.  It flung an elf bowdancer far in the air.  He is now stunned below the bridge.  Quickly.. lower the bridge!

Alas he was too quick.  Instead I have ordered the outer bridge lowered in order to entice any abushers to slaughter the elves if they wish.

21st Hematite, 35.  I have officially achieved the position of Priest.  I will now begin praying for metals so we can continue to request reinforcements from the mountain homes.  I will not begin my journey towards high priest until the end of my term.

24th Hematite, 35.  The same foolish elf stood on our inner bridge.  I pulled the lever myself and watched him go flying.  He is all bruised up now but still conscious and is moaning for some herbal pain relief.  We all had a great laugh before finishing off our drinks.  I also watched as some Rhesus Macaques opened a cage unleashing something called a Bone Mammoth into the fields.  It proceeded to slaughter many of them.  It sometimes makes me wonder why Armok made us when he could have just made billions of foolish animals to slaughter each other in these ways.  Perhaps it’s because our battles are more entertaining.

27th Hematite, 35.  A new terrible roar could be heard from the depths today.  Canalis Fatuo Aestuarium has come!  In honor of this exciting day I have ordered many bins to be made.  We have far too many trade goods and bars not in bins.  With only 19 of us it would take months to haul anything useful to the trade depot.  I intend to get trade licenses as soon as possible in order to request increases in the workforce.

7th Malachite, 35. I have been offering the souls of slain moleweasles for soft metal.  Praise Armok!  We have received a silver bar and a gold bar so far.  The peaceloving elves let the Rhesus Macaques walk into the depot and steal some the aluminum and platinum mugs we had traded them.  The fools have no concept of value.  I believe next time we should simply slaughter the elves, sacrifice their souls, and melt down their mithril.  I will advise the next ruler of this fortress of my recommendation.  For some reason I can’t locate a coin mint though.  I know at some point we were churning out silver coins.  I will have to take a walk around.

4th Galena, 35.  The summer has been quiet.  I have constructed a chemists lab and we are beginning to extract ingredients to make gunpowder.  I am a priest at heart, not a chemist.  They tell me I shouldn’t have build the chemist lab in the middle of our moss covered main dirt area.  Something about uncontrolled explosions and raging infernos consuming us all.  I tell them if Armok demands our blood to be boiled before he receives it then so be it.  It’s up to them to not set us on fire. To appease them I have set up obsidian doors on the level.  I hope for their sake they make it through the doors before we have them locked if something goes wrong.  On a happier note Armok has blessed me with another platinum bar and another gold bar for my praying.  Hopefully all of the dwarves here will now see my worth that was not apparent as I meditated in the monastery.

11th Galena, 35.  The Old Ark, our fisher and general laborer decided to be a daredevil today.  At the exact same time as the lever was pulled to close the inner trade gate he darted out from the stair and leapt across just in time!  It was sight to behold.  While stunned for a moment there were no injuries at all.  I knew that the fisherman had to dodge river crocodile and the manacing monster carp, but I had no idea they were this quick.  I may consider a life in the military for this thrill seeker.
Or perhaps The Old Ark simply wanted to greet the human merchants that were coming into the trade depot.  I admit their steel is quite impressive.

16th Galena, 35.  Orks!  And they are fighting the bone mammoth.  I hope this will be interesting.  Either way much blood will be spilled for Armok this night!  It was  short fight.  A few steel arrows and a quick bash to the head killed the mammoth.  These Orks are impressive fighters for their intelligence. 

Praise Armok the humans have brought crates of gold bars.  They will make good allies to our fortress.

19th Galena, 35.  No one noticed a human archer never made it inside.  He is hugging the wall but the Orks are closing on him.  Twang!  A bolt is loosed but doesn’t hit it’s mark on the hammer ork.  The bowguards been knocked into the pond!  This isn’t looking good for the human.  He’s torn apart, unconscious, and drowning in the water.  He never stood a chance.  The Shieldbearer Hammerorc simply stood there and bashed over and over again with his blunt rusty steel thud against the steel winged helmet of the human.  Eventually it caved in and the poor man died.  Perhaps at the end of the season we will charge out with the humans at our side and slaughter the orc filth.

26th Galena, 35.  We have received three crates of gold bars from the merchants and now have enough gold to request several more dwarves.  I cannot find the coin mint anywhere that I believed I saw.  I have begun research once again into it’s technology.  I don't know why the wizards guild insists on 5,000 gold coins for transport instead of 5 gold bars.  Seems like it would be easier to transport.  Perhaps they are just weak and sickly for dwarves.

29th Galena, 35.  Autumn is approaching.  We have the means to create black powder.  Despite my advisors telling me it is safe I have insisted on a small alcove being dug in the dirt for the chemist lab to be moved to.  I keep telling them a fire on moss in the room that holds all our trade goods, all our animals, all our drink and food is a bad idea. Foolish advisors.  It will be sealed with Obsidian doors of the finest quality.  I hope it does not become a tomb for the dwarf that works on that powder.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:55:08 pm by kamikazi1231 »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:56 am »

3rd Limestone, 35.  Early Autumn: I hate this time of year.  The days are growing shorter and our enemies more bold.  While we stand here in this flimsy wooden fort our brethren dine on sweet meats and drink mead back in the halls of our people.  It was from those rocks that our people were born, not these muddy halls.  Still I will hold my position with pride.  When I become a high priest no foe of darkness inside or out will be able to get by me.  I will make this hole in the ground grander than any temple the mountain homes have seen.  When they crumble we will stand with Armok at our side against the black blooded creatures of the night.

The first layer and first channeling series of the Hammer of Armok is complete.  I have assigned our chief medical dwarf Mc Jaxey to the dig crew.  He very much opposed this saying that he should be practicing on corpses or some nonsense.  Unless he’s cutting out the hearts for sacrifice I am not interested.  While talking to him it appears he has preferences for both “exploding” and “nothing” at the same time.  He also likes… dark friends. Either he said friends or fiends.  I’m not sure.  I will have to keep an eye on this one.  This dark demeneor plus his skill with a scalpel will have me locking the door behind me as I pray.

L’Meire reports from the battlements that while we can only see one Orc raiding party there are at three campfires burning in the distance.  We will have to be wary of their snipas. 

8th Limestone, 35.  I have begun sacrificing many fresh hearts on the Altar of Armok.  I have so far received his blessing with five steel bars and a gold bar.

11th Limestone, 35.  A poor human diplomat was caught outside.  He ran right into a camp of orcs.  Only the orc warlord saw fit to chase and fight him.  It must be an honor kill.

A painful death.  Armok does not make his sacrifices easy.

15th Limestone, 35.  I believe the death of the human diplomat and guard have gone unnoticed.  The traders are in the process of packing up to leave and seem very happy.  I don’t have the heart to tell them there are several orc camps just outside the trade depot.  I hope they make it out safely.  While Armok needs blood, humans are one of the few true industrious allies of our people.  It’s even said their queen, Ori Licobisan Setshivanod, could be quite lovely if she grew a beard.

21st Limestone, 35.  The humans are on their way.  The battle has begun.  The clashing of metal is heard as two human macemen engage a single orc shaman.  All are hurt badly before the orc falls under the combined force of the humans.  The orcs then rush in for vengeance.  The humans get the upper hand striking down two more orcs.  The orc raiding party breaks and runs for the hills.  A single human maceguard, Secen Furinut charges down the fleeing orcs killing two more before the rest escape.  The fields are covered in blood for the Blood God.

23rd Limestone, 35.  There is an issue with the hammer.  I wanted it perfectly square like the hammer Armok wields.  However while channeling we dug through to an outcropping of undead.  Luckily none of them can reach us, but we must dig around them now for there is no good way to collapse on this small amount.  I would like to dig around them and make the hammer larger, but I lack both time and the lease to the land on the very edge of our fortress map.

1st Sandstone, 35.  I can feel the days getting colder.  The humans have decided to stick around a little while to recover from their fight with the orcs.  In the meantime their healthy soldiers are running around the country side slaughtering gnolls wherever they can find them.  A healthy get futile exercise.  Gnolls, like kobolds, always come back.  L’Meire while going down to the hammer to deconstruct some walls gets spooked by the undead an unleashes hell into them with her steel javelin thrower.  She then goes to get a snack.

15th Sandstone, 35.  I have discovered a elf treasury master in our dining room.  How he got there I do not know.  I have decided that he must be spying for secrets and must be eliminated.  Grimmash will do the deed as before.  He sneaks up on the elf from behind.  The order to strike is given and Grimmash moves in with lightning speed for the elf.  The elf foolishly flees after the first strike to his torso into our drink room.  Grimmash locks the door behind them and corners the creature.  However we forget there is a second door and the slippery bastard sneaks out.

He runs down to our dormitories and is pinned between Grimmash and Dohon, the cheerful noble.  The elf doesn’t have a chance and is struck down. One less elf to spoil our fun.

26th Sandstone, 35.  The final layer of The Glorious Hammer of Armok is nearing completion.  The stench from the pit of undead is almost unbearable but we must press on.  With a single blow our hammer will kill thousands and save the mountain homes being assaulted from the Deep Roads.  Armok hear our prayers.  Many have died outside and within our walls.  Give us the strength to crush all that oppose us in your name.

6th Timber, 35.  Everything for the coin mint is finally complete.  It is being built above the bar stockpile in the dirt level, near the monastery.  We can finally begin minting gold to increase our population until we can free up the roads for migrants.

11th Timber, 35.  Straws were drawn for who will make the first batch of black powder.  Of course all essential personnel were excluded from the lottery.  In the end Arust Tongus, Sergeant of the Skull Crushers has been chosen to perform the task.  We wish him luck and remind him that if it is his time to die, then do so with dignity knowing you will sit beside the bloody throne in a pool of blood in the blood covered halls of the Blood God Armok afterwards.

There were a few tense moment but Arust was successful.  We have black powder!  No foe can stand before us.

13th Timber, 35.  The printing press is up and running.  Dohon has decided he will be the first to try out the machinery.  He will produce 500 gold coins for us.  We will then produce many thousands more to bring our brothers and sisters from the mountain homes.

18th Timber, 35.  I am always amazed that our caravans can get through even though migrants cannot.  I will not question it.  I hope they bring us trade licenses.  We are overflowing in certain goods that can be traded for many coins.  Just when our joy was at its highest a ambush springs near the trade depot. A the same time a great beast emerges from the depths.  It is Okung!  Let us pray the digging of the hammer has not accidently let a way for forgotten beasts with wings to get in.

The large ambush is 30 strong, has elite bowmen, and are all riding giant drowspiders.  I don’t think this caravan will be much use to us.

Our caravan was slaughtered.

25th Timber, 35.  I hoped to have the Hammer done by now.  However the workers keep getting spooked by the undead down in the hole.  I keep telling them there Is no way for them to get up, they don’t care. Finally after trying and trying I got a dwarf to stick around long enough to finish a partially complete floor.  We can finish the hammer without worry and crush the undead.

Winter is coming…

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:16:41 am by kamikazi1231 »

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2014, 03:37:56 am »

Looks like a good turn so far. The lack of deaths is unusual :D
Can you post some screenshots, how you built the hammer? Cause I didn't think it would be possible without nofear, so i'm quite impressed right now ^^

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2014, 04:16:36 am »

Looks like a good turn so far. The lack of deaths is unusual :D
Can you post some screenshots, how you built the hammer? Cause I didn't think it would be possible without nofear, so i'm quite impressed right now ^^

Thank you.  I tend to play pretty turtley in MDF especially when only having a few dwarves and fighting the hardest enemies in the game.  Only once did I charge out in my play so far to fight and it was against badly damaged enemies already.

Here is the hammer

This picture below is the top level.  As you can see I dug out a huge square large enough to encompass the evil below.  I then channeled down around the edge.  You'll notice in the bottom right a chunk of channeling that breaks apart the square.  This is there because I broke through a previously unseen part of cavern below that would prevent me from channeling like I wanted before.  You'll see that in the third picture I believe.

This next picture is the middle level.  I simply dug in from the side and channeled down all around again.  When the third pictures level is done, this will be the large chunk that falls down in the cave in.

This last picture is the very bottom of the hammer.  This was the tricky layer.  You see a white I near the middle.  That is the support that will give out to collapse it all.  Down in the bottom right circled in red is the cavern area I breached that made me have to rethink my channeling above.  It has undead in it, but they can't get to us.

The circled green is the undug wall that I used for a long time to block line of site with the undead.  I dug all around it.  Now where purple square used to be a door and some constructed walls by Meph.  Red square used to be the pitting hole that constantly scared dwarves.  It was a royal pain but I eventually squad assigned all the dwarves down there, locked that door, then made them civilians.  It took about ten solid minutes of spamming restarting putting a floor there but eventually the game let a dwarf build it before a tick happened that caused it to run in fear.  Now this square is safe to dig out the rest, like you see me doing.

Essentially at the end we will have a 1z level high block held up by that one pillar.  The whole block encompasses the entire area of the evil fortress below.  I will wall off all entrances to the hammer, pull that lever up there, and it should break through all the floors and kill everything down there.  We might have a few undead left in areas similar to that circled red area I didn't account for. But FPS should be better and if we use fix dead command we will hopefully start getting migrants.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:54 am »

Nice approach by crashing through the ceiling of the structure. That is way better then my idea! I wanted to drop the floor right above the structe.... Cool, thanks a lot, that is a nice trick to remember :)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2014, 04:50:46 am »

Nice approach by crashing through the ceiling of the structure. That is way better then my idea! I wanted to drop the floor right above the structe.... Cool, thanks a lot, that is a nice trick to remember :)

Thank you.  I hope it works.  I hadn't considered just cutting out the floor but I think you're right it would require no fear for that.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46