Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49511 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2014, 11:25:50 pm »

I just want to note that Splint, fearless leader of Spearbreakers, creator and slayer of the Spawn of Holisitic, has officially given up on solving this problem.  There has to be something special in that.

Regarding my turn, and solutions, once I finish Silvergoose round two, I can take a look at this.  Thoughts on solutions:

Combine cave-in with atom smashers?  I'm not sure if this would work, but does a cave-in stop at bridge tiles?  That would then work if we collapse floors.  Collapsing rock would block the bridge.

Regarding water/mamga:  If FPS is already an issue adding water or lava to the problem will not help things.  That may limit casting strategies.  It may also strain the population due to the inherently risky situation mining around lava and magma poses in general.

Turrets:  Awesome.  Still leaves an astounding amount of clean up afterwards.  Hellfire turrets are nice.  Webs could help trap more undeads.

Another idea:  Repeating minecarts.  I've never used a minecart grinder, but could it be useful here?  Make a few long minecart tracks, say 2 of them in parallel, and have that be the only valid path into the fort for undead, then let the mechanism go?

I'll download the save and see how it runs on my computer, as it seems some folks are having a time of just getting to play acceptably.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2014, 12:05:08 am »

to answer all your points:

bridges: bridges do not support any tiles, but not sure if that is relevant for your idea ^^ Could you explain it a bit more?
As long as the undead have no ranged attacks, a cavein done via support is without any danger. So you could try it, and then check how many undead are still alive. (those standing at the channeled out wallspots can survive) And then make plans according. You just have to make sure, that all you add a second wall to all places where the outer wall of the structure is only one tile wide. I could try to draw it in paint how to do it step by step.

water/magma: I agree here

turrets: Has anyone tried, if they die from burns? Because if i remember it right, undeads in magma are burning (the main reason why they cause so much lag) but as already known, they won't die from it. But not sure about it. May need some tests. Otherwise i really like that idea for cleaning up the remaining undeads.

minecarts:
Recently there was a singlepick challenge fort here in the forum // on youtube, that used repeating minecarts to solve an undead problem. But he had only about 500. It worked in the end, but it took him several years, because there is a massive problem with pathing. Simply put, the insane number of undead kills their ingame pathing. It will take multiple years for them to all walk in the minecart trap, if the game manages it at all to path them properly. It is really awesome when it works(minecarts are in general, minecart shotgun anyone :D), but sadly has the described problem.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2014, 02:14:56 am »

Hellfire should simply melt everything. I am quite sure of that.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2014, 05:08:33 am »

Is there a problem for having the solution take more than a decade or two in-game?  I mean, the game moves like molasses in January right now, but once the undeads start pathing to their destruction, there's no reason not to just stick it on "nopause" and run it for the next six or so hours while you go to sleep.  We have a well and stable farming already, right?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:46 am »

Is there a problem for having the solution take more than a decade or two in-game?  I mean, the game moves like molasses in January right now, but once the undeads start pathing to their destruction, there's no reason not to just stick it on "nopause" and run it for the next six or so hours while you go to sleep.  We have a well and stable farming already, right?

The only danger I see in that is failed moods. I personally like the idea of an insanely long automated atom smasher.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2014, 09:58:38 am »

We don't have a source of featherwood right?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:10 am »

None that I'm aware of, I checked.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2014, 10:06:39 am »

So no witch hunters. You could lock up lv 3 fire mages in little boxes with fortifications in the sides. Hopefully no ranged undead come and snipe them in the knee head...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2014, 10:48:20 am »

Teduks Fine Goods sells them.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2014, 11:00:53 am »

Teduks Fine Goods sells them.
How do you even get those trade license thingies?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2014, 11:57:19 am »

The only danger I see in that is failed moods. I personally like the idea of an insanely long automated atom smasher.

We have fewer than twenty dwarves.  Moods will not occur.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

slaghammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »

Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:28:49 pm by slaghammer »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

We have fewer than twenty dwarves.  Moods will not occur.

Ah I hadn't thought of that since I've never run into a no migration wave bug like this before.  I guess it would work out well then.  Maybe just cage up all the female animals first so we don't get overrun in all those years with breeding.  When it's my turn to run the fortress I may push for the townportal as quick as possible.  At least we can start getting more workers then.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:48 am »

When it's my turn
It is your turn.  ???

Splint did not want to play, and Grimmash took a break (?)
Regarding my turn, and solutions, once I finish Silvergoose round two, I can take a look at this.

I think it would be best if you could just PM Grimmash and ask if he takes the turn or you want to play now.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46