Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49526 times)

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:02 am »

Could you please add me to the turn list?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2014, 11:07:04 am »

Added. :)

Splint, what should it be? Delete you from the Overseer list, since your dwarf died? Or what is your plan? Rule as qhostly General Splint from the grave? (you could actually deconstruct coffin and slab and have your ghost around for a year)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2014, 11:09:36 am »

I dunno yet. I was functioning on no sleep before and I'm worried my ghost might be less than friendly. Give me a bit to think it over.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

If we have more dwarfs then right now, it would be perfectly fine, if your ghost kills one here and there during his reign :D Not everyone has to be Mr nice guy ^^

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:13 am »

How many units are in the units list during this playthrough? If the number of units in total went above 3000, you will not get any migrants because of Dwarf Fortress bugs, and I saw early on that there were 4500 units around. I'm not sure whether triggering a migrant wave will do anything about this.

It looks like some fun things are going on in this fort. Are there any dwarves around for dwarfing?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:37 am »

How many units are in the units list during this playthrough? If the number of units in total went above 3000, you will not get any migrants because of Dwarf Fortress bugs, and I saw early on that there were 4500 units around. I'm not sure whether triggering a migrant wave will do anything about this.

It looks like some fun things are going on in this fort. Are there any dwarves around for dwarfing?
There are certainly over 3000 on the map. Guess we have to visit the underground structure a bit.

I just wish I knew why MDF always has so large numbers in them. I never found the reason, otherwise I would trim it down a bit.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Swagile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:47 pm »

Oh man, I don't look at this topic for like a day and a half and suddenly I die O_O

I wanted to die in battle, damnit!

At least I got the glory of the first kill.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2014, 02:08:15 pm »

I wanted to die in battle, damnit!
You died in the epic battle for the remaining booze. Is that not good enough for you?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »

There are certainly over 3000 on the map. Guess we have to visit the underground structure a bit.

I just wish I knew why MDF always has so large numbers in them. I never found the reason, otherwise I would trim it down a bit.

If those are in the units list (living or dead), then there will be no further migrants unless we can patch the damn bug reducing their numbers using DFhack.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2014, 02:24:15 pm »

First kill, first death... It is the circle of life.
But I would say, jaxys way of putting it is a bit... too nice. It sounded like he just thought:
" Damn, I'm thirsty, but those 2 guys are already drinking from our endless supplies of booze, I better wait for a bit, maybe start another adamantine extraction in the meantime."
35 booze is hardly a shortage ^^

But it seems like only dailm got honoured with a glorious death until now.

Oh and the units are not in the unitlist, but since the structure is already in sight, i guess they are just out of sight and already calculated
So let's kill a few thousand undead with our 20 dwarves, so we can replenish our (by then all dead) dwarfs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2014, 04:44:04 pm »

I see no problem with cheating taking out enough undead to get a migrant wave or two and then train and slog through more mundane means of killing.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2014, 04:53:06 pm »

The no migrants issue is more complicated than that. If I understand correctly, dead units also count against the 3000 unit number. Here is a link of one thread about it. I'm sure you can find more.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116924.0

The thing about it is, you have to kill thousands of undead, then run the fix/dead-units command in dfhack, and hope it reduces things enough, and doesn't break anything. I have gotten the command to work fine in my newest fort, and it removed almost all of my dead list, although I wasn't at 3000 yet. It reduced my units lists from about 1000 to about 250. If I am understanding how it works correctly, it will remove almost all of the random dead zombies who didnt kill anybody.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2014, 05:03:06 pm »

wouldn't it be possible to wall in the whole structure and then channel into the original walls of it from above, until we manage a cavein. When you are saying undead, I assume they have no ranged abilities. Even though a miner with no fear might be needed, but that is achievable with ingamemethods. All in all this method should kill them pretty fast and be doable in less then an ingame year.
After we have killed enough undead that way, we would only need to fix-dead via dfhack.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »

RIP Dailm

Wouldn't using the forcemigrants command once a year be effectively the same?

If we can solve this I would like to be redworfed as dailm II

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »

I would suggest that the next overseer start mass breeding war animals and buying up the most vicious creatures you can find.  Then put all of them in one cage.  Use the siege engine plug in to throw them into the underground area and see if 500 iron/steel clad war animals can reduce those undead numbers a little haha.

But on a more serious note if we can't find a way to get more dwarves we may have to resort to a large war animal militia.  Dwarves are too valuable to let die then.

Do we still have the townportal building?  Perhaps spend some time researching down that direction and see if we can get dwarves that way.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46