Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49522 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »

Oh wait, we don't have pigtails?
LOL...
I guess the tons of seeds i saw, when i assigned it, were on the caravan them. ouch :D

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »

If frost giants really attack in force though, we have to go back to chickentactics. I was really surprised to see them as the first real enemy after kobolds and goblins.

You’re making adamantine everything and were “really surprised” to see Frost Giants early?  Really?  The wealth trigger for top-tier invaders isn’t all that high.  That’s the bane of ☼Silvergoos☼: somebody forgot to forbid the orichalcum and an artifact was made, somebody else made a few hundred gold doodads for trade and now the 18 dwarves are bunkered trying to come up with Plan B as the elite invaders come 80 at a time. With names.  And mounts.  With names.

But Splint deserves a memorial.  Maybe a candy one, if there’s that much around. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »

If frost giants really attack in force though, we have to go back to chickentactics. I was really surprised to see them as the first real enemy after kobolds and goblins.

You’re making adamantine everything and were “really surprised” to see Frost Giants early?  Really?  The wealth trigger for top-tier invaders isn’t all that high.  That’s the bane of ☼Silvergoos☼: somebody forgot to forbid the orichalcum and an artifact was made, somebody else made a few hundred gold doodads for trade and now the 18 dwarves are bunkered trying to come up with Plan B as the elite invaders come 80 at a time. With names.  And mounts.  With names.

But Splint deserves a memorial.  Maybe a candy one, if there’s that much around.

Oh damnit...
I added coffins and slabs for them in the adamantine spire, but forgot to screenshot it. :( Dang

About frostgiants. I was surprised to see them before anyone else. No Orcs, no nothing. ;) That our wealth is... attractive, i was aware ^^

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »

I'm drafting everyone left alive, any weapon preferences?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2014, 05:37:36 pm »

Axe for my dwarf, please.

And yeah, building too much value too soon is a bad habit that I felt the brunt of on Silvergoose.  Although in my defense, I was hoping to get at least one break in the sieges to turn those piles of gold-bearing ore mugs into lots of arms, armor, and trade goodness.  Oh well.

I would say make a few squads of 2 dwarves, not everyone, and let them train for a year.  Chicken tactics are boring, but they make it possible for a fort to survive. 

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2014, 06:32:00 pm »

When he matures enough,  (and the draft is still in effect), Timeless would probably be a good hunter/spring-loaded knife-dwarf.  Perhaps with a hunting hound named "Ol' Red".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »

15th of Limestone, half-year report:

The past few months have been fairly uneventful, thankfully. The underground farms are being expanded, I've put a few more of our seeds to good use, and there's only been a couple attempted thefts by kobolds that ended poorly for the little guys when they ran head-first into the speargolem that I had pastured over the entrance. Well, besides the goblin-archer ambush that I locked out, but they were hardly a footnote.

I've bridged the small waterway that separates our fortified portion from the rest of the third cavern. The pressure plates are set up to drop the bridge when invaders or wild animals step on them, the few beasts that might get passed this simple measure instead destroy the bridge themselves out of habit!

I've also set up the miners with quarrying more rock as we've hit a shortage of "non-economic" stones for masonry, mechanics and stone crafting. Thankfully there's lots of marble in the caverns so we can get steel production up and running as well. I've also ordered a bunch of pots and crafts into production, as traders have stopped by several times and the only things of value to trade at the time were weapons and armor that frankly could be put to better use arming a militia than trading for booze that we should have made ourselves.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2014, 09:05:10 pm »

As far as I know, not a single new mod workshops that needs research has been build. We could work on that... there should be enough interesting stuff still available that can help the fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »

If we have enough wood then my axe will be well used in chopping down our enemies.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:03 pm »

If we have enough wood then my axe will be well used in chopping down our enemies.
Sadly unlike mining wood chopping does not translate into combat skills :(

And LMeire. Were there any migrants? Please say yes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2014, 09:50:07 pm »

If not: Embassy. 2000 gold = migrants.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:01 pm »

That only triggers a migrant wave.  You may still get no migrants from it, especially if the liason hasn't reported back.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:50 am »

After got ourselves properly secured with food and booze and mandatory service for everyone old enough to kill a kobold, I decided to focus some of our attention on the apparently unfinished wall outside. I had also updated our uniforms setup, since steel would probably be easier to come by and work almost as well as Adamantine- at least until we can get something stronger.

Unfortunately, sentries in the third cavern reported grave news. A Forgotten Beast had come to HammerAbbeys, he was here to kill us and rhythmically undulate- and he just ran out of undulations.

It was right about when Seviro began happily frolicking in the water that our forces sprang into action with the latest in monster-fighting technology.

I didn't really think it would work, until Seviro found a shiny toy to distract himself while someone hauled that log down there.

Also there was a Frost Giant Thief, but she's dead now. I'm sure her body will make a fine blade one day.

To end this on on good note, we've caught some Giant Spiders! Not a breeding pair, but at least enough for a silkfarm or something.

And with that I hereby step down, so that I might spends more time with my snookum wookums!

<3<3<3
--

(Still no migrants, unfortunately. No idea why.)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8292
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:08:59 am by LMeire »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:56 am »

Dead civ?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2014, 01:05:54 am »

I suspect that it's really just the fact that the liason hasn't made it out alive.  It's possible that 'fix/population-cap force' might cause migration waves since the caravan made it back.  I don't know - I do know that it won't work at all if no caravan has come, period.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46