Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49533 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:14 am »

It might help to get some soap going to prevent infections, whether it's for military dwarves that DO survive goblin attacks or for civilians.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2014, 05:13:57 am »

Could always try the force event script, or find whoever the hell is supposed to meet with the liaison and shut all their labors off and flip some tables to keep them from partying so they'll finally talk to the dumbasses in line to meet them.

Did one of us die? "lost two of our militia" makes me think that someone somewhere is dead besides Swagile.

And those screens remind me why I changed most of the goblin profession names and gave them some variety to their gear (and made the flail a mace like it's supposed to be. Flails aren't whips damn it! They're maces! or uh, farming tools, but that's beside the point.) Blah, sorry. Trying to stay awake to fix my sleep schedule does that.

Anyways, nice progress so far, discounting the whole "two of us got injured by chickenshit goblins" thing.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2014, 05:16:38 am »

And those screens remind me why I changed most of the goblin profession names
What, aim-for-ya-throat isn't the best title for a marksgoblin ever?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2014, 05:39:56 am »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:09 am »

You could just have lit the brazier. Thats what its for. The fire would have killed/driven away all goblins, even the still undiscovered ambushers.  :-X

Grimmash didn't know what to answer and thus made the most dwarvish answer he could think of... steel bars. Then he sent the guy away, creepy little dude...
??? There is so much trade-only stuff in the mod. Why send the liaison away without ordering something?

Splint: Thats perfectly fine. I often get people that say its too warhammery/silly. Once deathswords goblins are out, these names get replaced.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2014, 06:50:12 am »

I wouldn't have engaged if there were more attackers and less caravan guards. The way everything was set up, there was imho no way not to fight. If we don't even fight at even numbers against goblin ambushes and instead rely on chickeny bushfires... we can just skip military entirely, build a wagon only entrance and feel great.

About the liason. Actually the order in the report is not correct. While the liason started talking to Grimmash when i wrote it, they asked for tradegoods with the new liason already on the map. What I answered was entirely irrelevant here. Oh, and the new liason died... So no chrismas wishes for next year either ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2014, 06:59:29 am »

Thats perfectly fine. I often get people that say its too warhammery/silly. Once deathswords goblins are out, these names get replaced.

Never seemed so much silly or anything as just some of them bugged me as either being nonsensical (stinga, and furious whatevers) too fancy (flagellant,) or too wordy and not descriptive enough (aim-for-ya-throat... ok, does that mean he has a bow or crossbow?)

And so long as one of the damned diplomats get off the map I'd say that's progress.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2014, 01:36:19 pm »

4th Moonstone
It seems one of the traders got hurt in the battle, because we noticed them packing again. So all this was for nothing? Is this how they thank us for defending their goods with our lives?
Also a sawmill, that Mx Meph had requested last year, was finally completed. Even though there was no need for it, we had more then enough wood. BigD the 145. had done good work.

15th Moonstone
My plan for fortress security is being worked on, while the month is rather uneventful otherwise right now. Mc Fengyun continued to dig out some outliers of the adamantine spire we had discovered last year (praise the miners!). We still lack helping hands, so everyone is kept busy. Grimmash was having audiences with all the diplomats. He requested some Bloodsteel and exotic animals from the drow and mithril, some poisons and steeloaks from the elves. Oh and some greatbows. Maybe we could pay back those gobos.
Some goblin thieves were scared away before they could get close.

14th Obsidian
Whoever had hoped for a calm end of the year was wrong. When I heard

I thought nothing bad... Until I had a look myself.

So they had found us...
While it shouldn't be revealed until end of the year, i knew this was not the time for secrets. I grabbed what I had prepared to defend the fortress and decided to face the frost giant. It would be me or him, no one else. I had to regain my honor. And so we fought.
I managed to catch the frost giant off guard and hit him in blind rage.

When he finally crumbled under my pick, i was sweating while still feeling his cold.
I was victorious. Hammerabbey was victorious. But it was only one frost giant. The first of many to come.

20th Obsidian
Drow have arrived. I decided to leave the trading business for the next overseer, I was now preparing already my new destiny.

1st Granite
New year. But I still could not feel happiness. While I slightly recovered after slaying the frost giant, still, the loss of Splint hurt me. Failing the fortress hurt me. And thus I now made official what I had planned all the time since the ambush. I would retire from all my positions. From overseership. Even from leading the miners. I from now on would dedicate all my life to defending the fortress, under the new general Dohan, who, while some call him a coward for running in battle, was the only one to survive the goblin attack. Learning from the past, I had taken measures that such an incident would not happen again and ordered new protective equipment for both of us.

We would be only two. But we would defend the fortress, until the end of time! As the last task as overseer of the fortress I now officially opened our new dining hall. There were still boulders on the floors, which couldn't be removed in time, but I was hoping this could be done in future. Even if I should fall... I hope dwarves would remember me whenever they were dining there.

Base level (hospital at bottom, and that's a diplomat, not a dead dwarf there!)

one above

top level

May the next overseer do better then me. A few notes I had prepared though:
Right now McFengyun is digging around the adamantine spire. I was trying to dig away single pieces, you wanna continue with that... Or be bold.
There SHOULD be migrants next year. Grimmash had not done anything but meetings for a few month now, but still not all diplomats are gone. But the dwarven liason is gone at least.
I would appreciate if you could keep my dwarf as militia using his pick. If you don't like that, just let him suiciderush whatever and recover his equipment afterwards.
There is a pure wood stockpile in the forge area, I used it to make coke, but removed the link before saving. Relink it.
I hope I removed all garbagedumps and stockpilelinks. I really hope so ^^
I mass produced more furniture, so if migrants arrive, you just have to put it in place.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »

here is the save and I msg'ed LMeire that it is his turn
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8289
overall I tried to have a more storydriven and less featuredriven year after mephs powerstart. The goblin ambush went unfortunate, but I feel okay about it.
What kept me back most was probably the lack of migrants, which ruined most of my plans. I sadly noticed the issue with the diplomats too late. I hope this is fixed now. If frost giants really attack in force though, we have to go back to chickentactics. I was really surprised to see them as the first real enemy after kobolds and goblins. But then again, it is good for the story ^^

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2014, 02:19:15 pm »

Wait, I died? Ok, what did I miss this time? I thought I only got a nonfatal shot in the arm. Wow, that was a bullshit death. May as well take me off for overseership. Can't lead the place as a corpse and I don't do being redwarfed.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »

So you asked for a swords dwarf and expected to see year 7? Ambitious, at least.
And yes, you successfully managed to run with some heavy injuries, while dailm got slaughtered. Then you decided to pass out in the green, and the gobos finished you. Even though i would still say, you saved the fortress, because when the gobos went for you, the caravan guard executed all the injured gobos left behind which caused the remaining gobos to run. So, death in combat, saved the fortress, that's more then most dwarves can expect. ;) (and you made my dwarf close to tantruming...)
Next time ask for a mason or something like that, then you may die in a cave-in because some idiot deconstructs the floor under your feet ^^

About redorfs... I don't mind them, but I guess it's everyones individual choice.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »

Passing out after fleeing the field and getting my head caved in with a mace isn't dying in battle. It's dying like a worthless coward who doesn't deserve to see armok's hall, much less lead the faithful against the heretics. Getting killed by a hit to the head mid-battle is one thing, running away crying and then faceplanting into the grass because of an arrow to the arm is pathetic.

I'm just not used to a militia this horribly horribly incompetent, which is why I'm irritated at such a sudden death. I mean really, if you're gonna field soldiers, you arm them and get them training. They're soldiers, nothing else.

Don't want a redorf because dead is dead with mine. Can't lead as a corpse, and if my dwarf is gonna go and die like a bitch, she doesn't deserve to be overseer.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2014, 02:55:20 pm »

having irongrade armor, a bloodsteel weapon... Yeah... You were equipped truly terrible in year 2. Your companions even had adamantine weapons.
About your behavior in battle, that's nothing I could change ^^ I'm not used to see dwarfs running all the time they eat an arrow, but somehow they did here. Would you have not passed out, it would have been quite a smart choice actually, considering the loss of your weapon made you pretty much useless except as distraction.
Oh and you were training for the full time under my rule, but I did not want to powerlevel militia by doing 2 man squads in a succession game.
So yeah... no clue, what your point is.

About redorfs... your choice, i guess I would do the same.
About overseership... yeah.. take a farmer next time then.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »

I usually go with 3-7 man melee squads myself, generally starting with 3 or 4 guys and adding 2 or 3 more later. But I also noticed you mixed weapons. VERY VERY BAD. Shame on you. Bad quartermaster is you. Mixing weapons hurts training early on in all my experiences because for some reason the swordsman needs to know how to use an axe and a spear too even though he's only going to use a sword.

But my point is that if any of us had any sort of idea what the hell we were doing beyond "THIS IS THE SHARP END" then that battle would have been a complete route for the goblins with no net gain in casualties inflicted for them. That was a display of complete and utter incompetence from all of our militia members, myself included. Especially myself, because I had to bitch out and just lewt the goblins kill me.

Yes, I am insulting our dead militia for sucking at their jobs. Except for Swagile, that poor bastard didn't deserve to die like that.

Farmer. So coward who plays in the dirt with plants like an elf instead of doing HIS GLORIOUS WORK!? THAT WHICH IS GREATEST AND KEEPS HIM FROM UNMAKING EVERYTHING!?? WITH POINTY THINGS!?

amifunnyyet

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2014, 03:49:26 pm »

(Grabbing the last unclaimed metalsmith for my roleplay.)

The molten rock below quakes on the first day of Spring, of the 33rd year of this world. My True Name, though it was long forgotten, is LMeire; and I have now taken the mantle of Overseer of this fortress. My title is a new one, for the last overseer stepped down in shame of his past military failures and before this I was but a "Metalsmith" accustomed to many odd-jobs far outside of my traditional profession. But enough about me, I've too much work to keep rambling like this.

My first concern, in the harsh light of recent invasions, is the status of our military. Thankfully, our entire military is fully clad in adamantine, (Praise the Miners!) but since "our entire military" is comprised of but two soldiers I'm certain that we can and should do better. Thus my first action was to contact the Military Commander to use as a sounding board for my concerns, below is the results of our collaboration.

Second, was the status of our agriculture, with but 19 citizens in our fortress, we would be easily overrun and so I planned steps to ensure that if/when it came to it, we could survive walling out a threat until they get bored and went away. The state of our farms is pitiful, we have but one small plot worked up top for saplings, a massive plot below that should have filled our granaries with Plump Helmets but has but a couple dozen 'shrooms planted, another, even larger plot reserved for Pigtails- which we don't even have available- and over a hundred seeds for crops that we could plant but haven't for whatever reason. Whatever, moving on.

Lastly is the adamantine spire, I'm not overly religious myself, but I've heard enough from the sermons of those who are to know that Armok doesn't make half-measures in his desire for chaos- that such powerful weapons would be simply given without but a few swings of a pick... *sigh* We need the adamantium to survive, but still, the strange metal gives me the heebie jeebies. I'll continue the excavation, since it's probably just nerves from all the death lately- but all that still takes a backseat to our farms and martial training/equipping so we'll be going a bit slower.

Thus ends my initial report. Here's to hoping we all live through these coming months.

(I'm gonna try and err on the side of caution for now, at least until there's enough military to feasibly hold off a determined siege.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:51:51 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46