Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49545 times)

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »

[whisper]*pssst* Splint, The disciple of !!Fun!! is female[/whisper]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

[whisper]*pssst* Splint, The disciple of !!Fun!! is female[/whisper]

Half the time I don't actually see the gender and just make assumptions. And honestly I don't see a reason to change it if those two are gonna hate eachother's guts.

"You look like a shaved mandwarf! yes, SHAVED!"

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »

Heh.  Fair enough.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 08:11:16 pm »

Meph leaned against cold, black stone. His arms seem to embrace it, his forehead resting on it. He blinked. 'Where am I? ... Did I black out again?' In shock, he looked down upon himself. No blood on his clothes. No blood on his hands. 'Oh, thanks Armok, it didnt. But why can't I remember anything?'

He looked to his left. A river in the distance. He looked to his right. The other river in the distance. Behind him, only the woods.

But behind the wall, he could hear his comrades. Still bickering about theoratical combat advantages about things that we did not have. The wall was solid, black rock. But... what rock? It was maddening, but he couldnt quite identify it. He walked to one end, one corner as it turned out, because the wall was short. Only 5 steps on each side. He walked around the corner and could see the camp behind it. Good. He wasnt lost. Curious, he walked the length of the wall again. Around the corner, again, around the next, till he stood exactly where he started.

There was no door.

Whoever build that thing, whatever it was, walled it shut. Still a bit confused about the matter, Meph walked back into the camp, which had grown significantly since he last remembered it. More wooden pallisades. A trade depot. A air-lock with bridges, even if the walls werent quite done yet. The architects had finished the bridges. It was warm. It was summer. Meph had the feeling that underground, the fort would have changed as well. But he couldnt see any Altars. No Shrines, no Temple of Armok. Even the Ward wasnt in sight.

"Hey-o Meph, you are done?"
"Absolutely" - 'Dont show weakness.'
"It's a fine thing you did there. We are all quite proud of... it."
"Well, thanks. Its my job after to lead this place after all. Say, what about the Altars and Shrines?"
"Yup, it's a mighty fine Altar you did. Took half of the season to build, all by yourself. You wouldnt even stop till it was done."
"I did... Of course I did. Glory to Armok."
"Say, Meph, what exactly did you build it with? Because no one saw you go down into the fort and get blocks from the Mason. Instead, you were just... building. And how are we supposed to pray, if no one can walk in that place?"

Meph stared at him blankly. He couldnt quite believe what he heard. He turned around wordlessly, looking at the stone again. It was.... some kind of... solid... material. (?). An unkown material block, yep that was it. For sure. Absolutely, not problem.

A few dwarves had gathered around their leader, no one quite sure who should ask first, and what exactly to ask. Oldark, Sawgile, even Jaxey and McMuzz came over. Splint was watching from a distance, not leaving his guard post. He spotted the migrants before anyone else, 3 dwarves that came to our doorstep, arriving at the growing group of dwarves around Meph, and the unkown altar. But before any of them could say anything to anyone, they heard yelling.

A dwarf. Yelling very, very loudly. It was Mc Marghell.

The voice was coming from underground, carried up the stairway. Everyone heard it. No one understood it directly, not daring to believe the words that their ears told them they had heard.

'P..e...Ar..ok'
'Ad...ma...ine!'
'Glow.... Ad....am...ine!'
"A spir....f it!'
'Third ...vern!'
'Just thi..rty levels below us'
'Adamantine everyone'
'We struck Adamantine!'

All stood still. Only one quitely uttered four words. It was Meph.

"Praise the miners, indeed."

There is a unknown material altar, completely walled off at the entry. Dont ask me how it got there. We have bridges and a depot for trading, and build bridges over both rivers. The upper-left corner will get a tiny 1-tile bridge, as a backdoor. The lever are placed outside, I wouldnt want to make it too easy to wall us of. The wooden walls are not yet finished, but we have a well and a few drinks which I forbid, because winter (aka frozen season) is quite long. Took till early summer to get water. We have lots of food, but no drinks (20 or so), because *someone* *Not-looking-at-Megahelmet* cooked 220 drinks into lavish meals. We have basic wood and food production, 2 military members:
Splint with a bloodsteel sword and full rigid scaleplate armor.
Sawgile, a wrestler with a small horn knife and full rigid scaleplate armor as well.

We got 3 migrants, which I will name with the people that wanted dorfing, if the profession fits. These, and the underground part of the fort come in the next update.

PS: Unknown Material = Parquet. I gave the parquet block names, but apparently DF overwrites that with just 'block'. So instead of a parquet tile, we get a 'unknown material block tile', which doesnt even have the color of wood anymore.

Proto and Pi Age are dwarved, the two migrants that arrived. Third one was a child, so no grizzled old axedwarf for Dohon yet. And someone asked about the date: 21th Malachite, of the year 31, Mid-Summer at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:37:18 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:07 pm »

Unbeknownst to the dwarves, they had made an unlikely ally deep underground. Giving its live, breaking its own bodyparts to stem the tide of the undead, a amethyst golem is decimating the python man corpses.

A strange crystalline creature the shape of a man. It has a large gem inside of its half-transparent body which pulsates with energy.

Its left leg is fractured.  Its left leg is cut open. 
It is average in size.  Its right hand is gone. 

I might be crazy, but do the three floor tiles on the lake not look like someone build a boat-landing there? Charon on vacation, shipping dwarves towards the underground structure into their afterlife?

Splint butchers odd wildlife in the meantime.

Jattloce: An unrecognized, randomly-generated creature.

He is enormous yet skinny.  His skin is pale taupe.  His eyes are black.   
It had at least 8 arms, but none of them helped against bloodsteel swords.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:56:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:11 pm »

Excerpts from the Journal of McMuzz
{T+2 weeks}
Since his encounter with the Ward, our leader has been gripped by holy purpose.  He has set about the preparations for creating an altar to our God.  Praise Armok!
First blood has been drawn, a Gottle.  I should not be surprised that it was Splint's blade that ended it.  From a perfectly rational standpoint, there is no way that a settlement as young as ours could posses siege engines or even ammunition casting.  But why did it have to be her to spill forth the first Blood in the name of Armok?

{T+?}
McMeph has commanded a wooden palisade begun.  Within it, our woodworking industry flourishes.
McMeph himself seems... strange.  I would almost believe that he is gripped by a Mood, but he has claimed no workshop nor demanded any materials.  Could it be that there is a type of Mood undocumented by our people?  Not Fey or Secretive, Possessed, Macabre or Fell?  A Mood that demands not the creation of a single perfect object, but instead the creation of a Fort?

{T+?}
McMeph has completed the Altar.  However, with that task completed, he has begun another.  He is building a wall around it.
This would not be so strange, but the material he is using is so... odd.  I have spoken to the others, even Splint, and none knew what it was.
For a fleeting moment, I let myself imagine that it might be Slade, second most holy of all materials.  But what is known of that substance says that it is heavy and dense beyond all else.  So heavy and dense in fact that to simply look upon it is to know its weight.  This is not like that.  It is almost as if it is... nothing.  I can touch it and feel it, but my mind rebels against its existence.
What have you wrought here, oh Armok?

{T+?}
Our small group of devout have swelled by three.  Two pilgrims and a child have arrived.

{T+?}
A glorious day!  Praise the Miners!  Praise Armok!  The most sacred of sacreds, the holiest of holies, Adamantine!  Also a strange fortress buried deep beneath the earth, filled with strange and terrible plants and monster.  This is also good.
This day has also seen the completion of the Altar's housing by McMeph.  With its completion he seemed confused, acting almost the way he had before his encounter with the Ward.  If this is the product of a Fortress Mood, then I will admit to a little confusion.
What is your intent, Armok, that you command your servant to seal your altar away behind that... substance?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2014, 09:11:59 pm »

Sawgile gets his first kill! With nothing but his hands and a little horn-dagger.

A Ealot.

A small, fanged creature with large ears and a gaping mouth. It is valuable for trade and creeps along the ground like a starfish.

His left foreleg is cut open.  His left foreleg is oozing ealot blood.  His left ear is bruised.  His teeth are oozing ealot blood. 
His skin is clear.  His eyes are black.  His teeth is gone.  His left fang is gone. 

Our military is quite good. We have two dwarves in iron-grade armor, a steel grade sword, and 4 animated iron weapons, wartrained with General Splint. They are slow, so they wont catch up directly, but if he is stationed and waits for his opponents, they will join the fight. Thats almost as good as 6 dwarves in total.

The breeding couple of war cragtooth boars are assigned to the lumberjack, BigD. They follow you around at all times, hopefully keeping you save from ambushes.

Moleweasels, four of them, randomly zip around the map, spotting hidden enemies.

And Meph & Jaxy have a grudge. :D Splint, BigD and McMuzz are friends of your slightly deranged overseer. :)

could posses siege engines
We do have a catapult, loaded with a fire landmine now.  8)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:17:14 pm by Meph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:18 pm »

If I were drunk I'd burst into song about .... uh, nothing. *sips tea and sniffs boar farts* Nothing to worry about. Praise Armok for these glorious watch boars. May no heathens think to use their spears against them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »

It is early autumn now. I think I will play till the caravan arrives, then take a break. Migrants arrived, among them a lvl2 axedwarf, Dohon. And a dwarf with no relations except two gods. Who wanted that one again?
`Dohon' Oshgatomat has been quite content lately. 
He is the son of Aban Poisondrawl and Melbil Artifactdried.  He is a faithful worshipper of Efim and an ardent worshipper of Razot Autumnwooded. 
He is a citizen of The Fragile Relics.  He is a member of The Marble of Anger.  He is a former member of The Lantern of Nuts.  He is a former member of The Domestic Sect.  He arrived at Nilkulet Anil Nom on the 23rd of Sandstone in the year 31. 
He is eleven years old, born on the 26th of Opal in the year 20. 
He is weak.  He is weak.  His wavy hair is extremely long.  His slightly close-set eyes are slit.  His lips are thin.  His nose bridge is slightly convex.  His somewhat short head is somewhat narrow.  His nose is somewhat long.  His hair is amber.  His skin is peach.  His eyes are cobalt.  His ears have small lobes. 
He is tough, but he is susceptible to disease and very weak. 
`Dohon' Oshgatomat likes congealed vaporstone, rusty iron, clear diamond, rope reed fiber fabric, padded boots and animated hammers for their combat prowess.  When possible, he prefers to consume cave lobster, medicine medicine and longland flour.  He absolutely detests otayntmeds. 
He has a lot of willpower, but he has a shortage of patience and quite poor focus. 
He is quick to anger.  He is self-conscious.  He is not a risk-taker.  He is rarely happy or enthusiastic.  He has a fertile imagination.  He is candid and sincere in dealings with others.  He is confident.  He is organized.  He finds rules confining.  He strives for excellence.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day. 

*CARPENTERS GUILD* This dwarf has joined the guild of woodworkers, lumberjacks and bowyers. Its not the most popular guild among dwarves, since the work is mostly outdoors, but the fact that elves hate it with a passion makes more then up for it.
One Kill
One giant blight bat () in Blizzardmidnights

She has no relationships... She is a member of The Marble of Anger. I like that name.
Shomad Udibtekmok has been quite content lately. 
She is a worshipper of Gembish and a worshipper of Razot Autumnwooded. 
She is a citizen of The Fragile Relics.  She is a member of The Marble of Anger.  She arrived at Nilkulet Anil Nom on the 23rd of Sandstone in the year 31. 
She has the appearance of somebody that is fifty-two years old and is one of the first of her kind. 
She is average in size.  She is tall.  Her round narrow eyes are wide-set.  Her hair is clean-shaven.  Her slightly close-set eyes are sunken.  Her nose bridge is convex.  Her ears are splayed out. Her somewhat long hooked nose is somewhat broad.  Her skin is peach.  Her eyes are cobalt. 
She is quite durable. 
Shomad Udibtekmok likes leather-hard, lead, heartstone, two-legged rhino lizard tooth, giant tortoise shell, figurines, crutches and levons for their warmth.  When possible, she prefers to consume crayfish, glasseye, cave wheat tea and whip vine flour.  She absolutely detests eshtuxes. 
She has very good focus, a good spatial sense, a good memory, a good feel for social relationships and a good intellect. 
She rarely feels discouraged.  She doesn't often experience strong cravings or urges.  She is assertive.  She loves a good thrill. She is rarely happy or enthusiastic.  She has a great awareness of her own emotions.  She is open-minded to new ideas.  She admires tradition.  She is guarded in relationships with others.  She finds helping others rewarding.  She is occasionally given to procrastination.  She laughs in a unique way when she's nervous.  She exhales sharply when she gets angry.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:15:32 pm by Meph »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »

I'll take the kid.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »

Timeless Bob. 2 year old daughter of Proto (Father), the Peasant and Pi Age (Mother), the Psychiatrist.

You join the ranks of the people discussion javelin ammo. You like hammerhead type. And you like orcish tuber vodka.

`Timeless Bob' Arcethaban has been happy lately.  She dined in a legendary dining room recently.  She slept in a good bedroom recently.  She has complained of thirst lately.  She admired own fine Bed lately. 
She is the daughter of `Pi Age' Glitterlutes and `Proto' Admiresalved. 
She is a citizen of The Fragile Relics.  She is a member of The Marble of Anger.  She is a former member of The Tins of Chirping.  She arrived at Nilkulet Anil Nom on the 5th of Malachite in the year 31. 
She is two years old, born on the 13th of Sandstone in the year 29. 
She is average in size.  Her extremely sparse wavy hair is extremely long.  Her slightly thin-irised eyes are slit.  She is tall.  She has a jutting chin.  Her ears have large hanging lobes.  Her nose is broad.  Her extremely long eyebrows are low.  Her ears are somewhat narrow.  Her eyes are slightly sunken.  Her nose bridge is somewhat concave.  Her hair is amber.  Her skin is peach.  Her eyes are cobalt. 
She is very rarely sick. 
`Timeless Bob' Arcethaban likes mineral oil, shrapnel, star sapphire, glowfrog tooth, lion bone, the color sandy taupe, hammerhead javelins and scabbards.  When possible, she prefers to consume drunian, bluegill and orcish tuber vodka.  She absolutely detests gepmas. 
She has a great affinity for language, a natural ability with music and a good spatial sense, but she has poor focus and a very bad sense of empathy. 
She occasionally overindulges.  She is not a risk-taker.  She is incredibly creative.  She finds helping others rewarding.  She is willing to compromise with others.  She is modest.  She doesn't go out of her way to do more work than necessary.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She does not mind being outdoors, at least for a time.   

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 11:12:03 pm »

I will take any new migrant you get Meph if you would be so kind, MuDD is fine for the name.
As far as profession goes, I'm not particular. Whatever would be of the most help.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 11:38:39 pm »

One gained, one lost. I dwarved you as the legion recruit migrant. You are one of the 3 militia dwarves now.

But today, one of our own passed away. In the year 31 of Armok, Sawgile, Brother in Arms, did smelt Adamantine Wafers so fervently, that he did not manage to make it to one of the two barrels with drinks we had... both in use, by Mc Muzz and Mc Marhgell. He sadly died of thirst, even with 35 drinks available.

You have been entombed in the hollowed out adamatine spire.

This is a olivine memorial to `Sawgile' Abantomem. 
The slab reads "In memory of `Sawgile' Abantomem / Died of thirst in the year 31 / Lover of silver".

Meanwhile:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:08:47 am by Meph »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:27 pm »

I wouldn't be 100% sure that Meph's cured.  I've had dwarves cured by wards who then still went through their transformations, or went insane with no other available explanation. 

Keep an eye on him.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:44 am »

I wouldn't be 100% sure that Meph's cured.  I've had dwarves cured by wards who then still went through their transformations, or went insane with no other available explanation. 

Keep an eye on him.
I changed it since then. Previously I transformed and added the crazed tag. Now the dwarf is already transformed, he cant transform again (because I did not use true-transformation for it), and the crazed tag is included in the transformed creature, no longer added by syndrome. This means that he will try to transform, but cant, because he already did one transformation. It should be fine. Its just that he still has his ability to give this hint.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46